Something dropped on truck on motorway

About 4.30pm, yesterday (Thurs 6th), southbound on M5, approaching j12(Gloucester), light fading, but could see 2 kids on bridge, as I went under there was a loud bang and I rose 2" in my seat, the little (please feel free to insert own words) had dropped something on my cab.

After composing myself and pulling onto the hard shoulder, my appologies if I upset anyone by breaking hard, I phoned the Police, unfortunately after searching the area, there was no trace of said kiddie winkles :open_mouth: Damage to truck was limited to a 6" scratch and black scuff marks on roof and I contuinued on.

I think it’s about time that all foot bridges were enclosed and suitable high fencing was placed on traffic carrying bridges.

In the past we have had fatalities and I’m sure plenty of cases like mine, mine being a bit luckier than most.

What are your views?

Today, I found myself changing lanes, whenever I seen someone stood on the bridge.

John

Crickey, could have been so much worse, Start a campaign im sure everyone would sign up

absolutely with you on that one. even better, chuck them all in boarding schools til they are 18 :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

lucky man !!!, I dont know if you read about the fatal accident on M3 .A truck driver was killed because of a stupid idiot chucking a brick over, Well the foot bridges have been inclosed stopping such things happening. Perhaps it takes a death for such action nowadays

And there was a case in the news this week of a little [zb] being found guilty of causing the death of a van driver by lobbing a car battery of a bridge through his windscreen, this was in the Merseyside area I think. It seems to be getting worst and I think you had a lucky escape.

The guy who caused the death on the M3 was caught but i bet there are dozens of cases that are never reported. but then again, they aim for trucks due to their lower speeds so it wouldnt make the news anyway :imp:

I think its digusting and still cant get my head around why kids feel it’s funny to throw things off bridges,especially at someone trying to get on with there job. What sad little live’s they lead, they seriously need to grow up and find some other way to get there kicks.
Glad to hear you wasnt hurt cornish trucker.

If it’s the bridge I’m thinking of, then it is actually disused, being barriered at the Eastern end, and therefore serves no purpose, other than for dog walkers and the sad members of society who actually enjoy parking up and watching traffic go by.

The calculated cost of each fatal accident in this Country is averaged at over £1 Million. The cost of removing the bridge would be far less.

Enclosing bridges could be a solution. But would it stop them? Steel mesh? They’d turn up with bolt cutters. Plexiglass? They’d cut a hole with a blow-lamp.

A fortunate escape nonetheless

IMHO, and that of others, is that old-fashioned discipline needs to be brought back into the Education system. I certainly received my share of chastisement ( notice that I avoided the word “suffered”), and it certainly did me no harm. And did I tell my parents. No bloody way.

A lucky escape bud thank god your ok.

IMHO, and that of others, is that old-fashioned discipline needs to be brought back into the Education system

here, here, couldn’t agree more…preferably followed by compulsory national service where social skills, respect, disipline & a trade would be learnt.

my cousin was killed six months ago by a 15yr old ,
dropped a battery off a bridge,
manslaughter of course
didnt mean to do it.

Beware

Eggs in my case… approaching a roundabout… had window half down. Clocked two young boys on the pavement, on the opposite side of the road, next thing I know… thud… and an egg cracked on the glass… followed by another one. Luckily the road was empty and I was switched on enough to be able to stop safely! After stopping, the little buggers were watching on the other side of the road and laughing… I opened the cab door, and shouted to them, and made to get out … and they fled up a side street.

Pity they scrapped borstal years ago, lock em up, better still hang em, didnt mean to do it my arse.

Allrighty

take it easy out there

I’ve been lucky I have only been got once and that was on the A2 heading south for Dover and some kids were on the bridge and I ended up with a jelly baby stuck to the middle of the window screen, lucky for me but it is disturbing how this dangerous trend is growing.

They have been trying to chase the kids away from that bridge in Coalville, throwing things on the road, and dropping stones on motorcycles. There was even someone reported being shot at with an air rifle :cry:

They should send them back up chimneys and castrate the parents

So runaroundtel had eggs thrown at him…bless him…he`ll do anything for a free breakfast…but it is a worry travelling towards bridges when there are kids on top…there are always a few that are genuine and just want a toot of the horn…always pulling their arms down to represent the old chain operated air horn…they went out the window years ago (i think)…anyway there are of course some who find it amusing to throw things at moving vehicles knowing they cant be caught and when they do will get their bottoms smacked…and of course in a lot of cases they cannot be stopped from using the bridge in the first place.
have a nice day

Been shot at by air rifle but nothing dropped on me thank God

Eggs in my case…

yep, me too. On the windscreen. In Liverpool, come thru’ the tunnel from BIrkenhead, heading for Seaforth Dock. Just after you fork left, soon after leaving the tunnel) there’s a pub on the corner of a side street, 3 kids hiding round corner of pub. Was unit only, so turned around & went back past them, they looked at me & waved, by the time i’d been able to turn round & get back to where they were again, they were well gone.

better still hang em

Should definately be reintroduced (not necessarily for kids). They only stopped it 'cos ocassionally the wrong guy was strung up. Now with DNA, there’s little chance of that happening.

kids on top…there are always a few that are genuine and just want a toot of the horn…always pulling their arms down to represent the old chain operated air horn

I think its lovely when they do that, but I’m so embarrassed :blush: :blush: …we have newish Mercs, quite smart, but with pathetic little “peep, peep” horns.

once had something lobbed off a bridge at me when on my motorbike.
hit me full in the face, and nearly wrenched me off the back with the force.

pulled up with the shakes, and visor was encrusted in goo, and vents stuffed full of orange peel, and a couple of seeds.

gits.

I was on my motorbike and wasn’t exactly ‘hanging around’ (although I wasn’t speeding, of course) when I hit a pheasant.

It got me smack in the middle of my chest and how I stayed on was a miracle.

It made me a life-long supported of pheasant shooting!! :wink:

My point is, I can sympathise with any of you who have been hit by something and it is a serious matter that needs addressing.