Ltd. Co. writing a contract.

Hi, My situation is I’ve been an agency driver for ages and have recently been considering making myself Ltd. and contact a few folks I’ve worked for before and got on with. Not talking about Nova, Umbrella Paye Co’s etc. like my agency has recently been pushing me towards.
Well company I worked for just rang me and asked if I want to come back minus the agency and invoice them. (I left that agency a while back)
It’s nice seasonal hiab multi drop work that makes for a nice summer gig.
It’s a small father and son co. with a one truck yard.
Got a meeting with them next week to arrange it.

My question is, he may well have a contract and we just decide the hourly rate, but he might expect me to draw up a contract. Even if not I’d like to know for any other jobs I might land

If so, where do I start? what should be on it? can I find a template/standard one?

What about if I have an accident in their truck?

Thanks for any pointers.

welcome Loooo :smiley:
I think you want THIS forum

A good starting point is an agency contract as you are in many respects simply going to be a one man agency. I based mine on the terms of business of one of the agencies I have worked for that was on the back of the timesheets I filled in. This included all the important stuff including (but not limited to) clauses saying the client is responsible for ensuring that suitable vehicle, employer’s liability and public liability insurances are in place during the contract, and also saying that you accept no responibility if you mess up and end up costing them money.

Obviously there’s quite a bit more to it than that but if the person who plans to take you on has used you via agency before then they might well still have a copy of the agency’s contract on file which they might let you have and tweak to suit.

Paul

Thanks Rog, have pasted it over there.

Thanks Repton, yeah, I suspect they’ll do it on the same terms as the agency I was on. Thanks for the info.

You’re probably best drawing up your own. If you want I can send you a copy of my own terms and conditions and all you’ll need to do is insert your own trading name and details and you’re away. All you need to do then is do a sheet with your rates on and payment terms, then take both down and get them signed, printed and dated by someone in authority at the company. Make sure of course you get them signed before doing any work for them otherwise you won’t have a leg to stand on if they decide they don’t want to pay you.

If you know anyone else that does work for them, get talking to them and find out what they’re like for paying on time and if they’ve experienced any problems like invoice queries or stuff like that. Some companies will mess you about just for the fun on it so that they can keep hold of your money longer. :angry:

Rob K:
You’re probably best drawing up your own. If you want I can send you a copy of my own terms and conditions and all you’ll need to do is insert your own trading name and details and you’re away. All you need to do then is do a sheet with your rates on and payment terms, then take both down and get them signed, printed and dated by someone in authority at the company. Make sure of course you get them signed before doing any work for them otherwise you won’t have a leg to stand on if they decide they don’t want to pay you.

If you know anyone else that does work for them, get talking to them and find out what they’re like for paying on time and if they’ve experienced any problems like invoice queries or stuff like that. Some companies will mess you about just for the fun on it so that they can keep hold of your money longer. :angry:

Rob can I be cheaky and ask if you can send me a copy… thinking of going that way myself sometime in new year . :laughing:

Yeah thanks Rob, that would be very much appreciated.
Many thanks :smiley:

thecoder0:
Rob can I be cheaky and ask if you can send me a copy… thinking of going that way myself sometime in new year . :laughing:

i dont know if it helps you dave but longs of leeds used to have 2 or 3 of these type of drivers who always permantley there. i dont know about rates though.