Another question about limited company!

Hi All,

So, first off…yes I have already read quite a lot of advice on this forum about the pro’s and indeed con’s of forming a limited company (although some posts are quite dated now). I don’t wish to ignite another heated discussion. I have what I think is a simple question, and the answer I feel, would be useful to other new drivers contemplating their future careers.

As someone who already has 3 businesses running and therefore familiar with setup requirements and also has a cheerful accountant waiting in the wings, I am aware of potential pitfalls of this venture as well as the potential rewards. However, the one question he and I cannot really answer is; As a newly qualified driver with no experience am I more employable in this proposed guise or should I first accept an employee/employer (PAYE :frowning: ) relationship for a predetermined amount of time?

Opinions are useful but facts are essential.

Thanks folks :smiley:

Any thoughts folks?

I would imagine you would be more employable with the ‘magic’ 2 years experience.

Although this is from someone with only 18 months experience who has been employed since passing - so what do I know ■■

How would you be looking at getting work, through an agency or direct to the firms you’d be working for?

I would prefer to get work direct, by writing and visiting all haulage firms in the area I want to work, and if nothing were to come of that then yes go to an agency. However, having been an employer who has at times needed to rely on an agency to provide me with labour I would certainly to have preferred it to have employed/contracted someone directly. I simply dislike agencies, but accept that they are needed, especially in this industry. Again, as an employer, if I contracted someone’s services rather than employ them I saved money and that individual made a little extra themselves.

If I had to accept agency work then it appears there is no problem in being a registered Ltd.

Is it the general opinion on here, that writing to and visiting firms in the area when I have 0 zero hours experience actually going to be a waste of time? Should I just straight away deal with an agency first?

I would contact your local firms if you’d prefer to offer your services direct.

As another 0hrs experience driver I start a job on Sunday for a local firm who do give new drivers a chance so they do exist. Although to be fair I don’t think I would have been a more attractive prospect being self-employed than not. I guess it depends on what your daily billable rate would be.

If you have three businesses running why are you worrying about getting a driving job? for what its worth, if a driver came to me and said I wish to be employed as a ltd company I would think it very strange and want nothing to do with them.

Some interesting thoughts. Congratulations Misses on your new job :slight_smile: Thats great news, and encouraging to many who are not finding work. My billable rate will be considerably less than what firms have to pay agencies! Don’t know what yet though. One step at a time :wink:

For the latest poster. Are you coming at this from the perspective of an employer? From my point of view I prefer to take on contractors who either operate as sole traders or ltd’s, rather than employ them directly. No NI, Pension to pay, plus other benefits. I have 3 businesses yes, but I have always wanted to be a truck driver since a wee lad, and with the average age of drivers ever increasing I thought it not a bad idea to get the licenses :smiley: I am not worrying about getting a driving job per se, I am more concerned about being ripped off by agencies and being ripped off by the government and trying to limit my exposure in this regard by going direct to a haulage company. I have enjoyed for nearly 10 years, the freedom to run my own financial affairs instead of PAYE doing it for me!

My simple ambition is to make this venture run as a business rather than actually being employed by someone or some company. However, myself and my accountant (and he has other Limited company drivers on his books, whom he will also be seeking an opinion from) are unsure that it is worth selling my services as a limited company (contractor) when offering my services as an employee is possibly likely to prove more successful when I have no experience.

jonesy1985:
Some interesting thoughts. Congratulations Misses on your new job :slight_smile: Thats great news, and encouraging to many who are not finding work. My billable rate will be considerably less than what firms have to pay agencies! Don’t know what yet though. One step at a time :wink:

For the latest poster. Are you coming at this from the perspective of an employer? From my point of view I prefer to take on contractors who either operate as sole traders or ltd’s, rather than employ them directly. No NI, Pension to pay, plus other benefits. I have 3 businesses yes, but I have always wanted to be a truck driver since a wee lad, and with the average age of drivers ever increasing I thought it not a bad idea to get the licenses :smiley: I am not worrying about getting a driving job per se, I am more concerned about being ripped off by agencies and being ripped off by the government and trying to limit my exposure in this regard by going direct to a haulage company. I have enjoyed for nearly 10 years, the freedom to run my own financial affairs instead of PAYE doing it for me!

My simple ambition is to make this venture run as a business rather than actually being employed by someone or some company. However, myself and my accountant (and he has other Limited company drivers on his books, whom he will also be seeking an opinion from) are unsure that it is worth selling my services as a limited company (contractor) when offering my services as an employee is possibly likely to prove more successful when I have no experience.

Looks to me like your just attempting to dodge paying legit employment costs,no wonder the transport industry is ■■■■■■ and those involved are in a race to the bottom.Agencies were and are a virus on the industry as well as “cockeyed” driver Ltd. Cos. IMHO. Bewick.

Not at all. I pay legit employment costs. If I did not then HMRC would have been in contact! I always pay my dues, but PAYE charges quite unfairly for the low paid work force IMHO.

I consider myself an outsider with regard this industry and it is a shambles looking in! No regulation for training or profession. No workers union. Drivers stand by and watch wages fall and fall because of EU and do nothing to address it, which is crazy considering how large the industry is.

So, because of these facts why not legitimately operate as a limited company? All our bankers do it, company directors. It is about time us folk on lower salaries have the option to take more control of a finances.