Info About Agencies - Worth It Or Not?!

Hi All,

I’m after a bit of advice please. Passed my class 2 towards the end of last year and am now keen to get some experience. Not really getting any joy where I’m working at the moment so looking at all options. All the jobs advertised seem to be through a multitude of agencies. What is agency work like - regular or not? I presume jobs advertised as contract/permanent are working directly for the agency rather than the company where you are actually driving.

Also, seen a lot of jobs advertising ‘limited companies welcome’ - I presume this is for some sort of contract work? Presumably, a driver sets himself up as a ltd company for self employed purposes. What’s the advantage of this - would of thought the costs of setup and ongoing accounting costs would outweigh the advantages but hey, that’s why I’m asking!! :smiley: :smiley:

Thanks in advance!

Don’t chuck a fulltime job for agency work. See if you can pick some up on weekends and holidays etc while still applying for direct employment. Agency work isn’t guaranteed and they’ll think nothing of dropping you without notice.

Setting up as a Ltd company is a tax dodge nothing more and HMRC are onto it. No holiday pay, no sick pay, accountancy fees all for an extra £1 an hour? No advantage.

Personally I have had nothing but bad luck with agency work.
I was promised all sorts and lead down the garden path.

The bit I don’t like is you have no right to anything. Sick pay, pension, etc basic employment rights. I’ve been passed two years and done bits on and off. You can turn up to a place to be told there is no work for you even though you been booked in.

My advice is go direct. Pallet delivery is a good place to start. It’s sort of easy work but not at first if you get what I mean. Just bang on doors and visit local companies direct. If you get an interview and say you have no experience just feed them the line of, your willing to learn and I have no bad habits. I dead keen etc etc. Good attitude goes a long way.

But yes I would waste time on the blood sucking agents. They are filth from my experiences. Unless your faced with the dull I wouldn’t go there. Good luck but knock on the doors and go direct. People will take you on if your keen.

If your brave and really want a hgv career I would leave your job for agency work
It’s what I did, although I got taken on by P&H permeant anyway.
Sign up to several agencies and try to fill your schedule, while always looking for permeant roles.

The food companies brakes, bidvest, P&H have been known to give new pass drivers a punt.

Hi!

Thanks for the info - very much appreciated!

You have to be sure to chuck a full time job for agency work,saying that I did exactly that,went from Class 2 at brakes full,time to BHs on agency as brakes didn’t do class 1 in tamworth.
Still wasn’t sure when I left brakes but didn’t do my class 1 for nothing so went for it,stayed at BHs till I got permanent where I am now so it does work just have to have faith in a leap into the unknown will work out.