lost tacho card

Hi i have lost my wallet over the weekend which had my digi card in and my license. Now i have done the first part and spoke to the dvla Joe offered a new card and license. Now Im back at work tonight and i no you can still drive without your card. But i have only been driving 8 weeks so Im a bit unsure of what to do regarding my tacho. I have read and do printouts. But do i do them when i finish. Its a Siemens vdo tacho and i have not really had to do printouts so just looking forward bit of advice.

Take a printout at the start of the shift, use the mode switch as normal during the shift and take another printout at the end of the shift. Sign both printouts and enter either your driving licence number or digi card number, if you have an old printout your digi card number will be on that.

You can do the above for a maximum of 15 days but your new card should be with you before then if you ordered it today. Keep the printouts with you for the required period and then return them as you would with tacho charts.

Ok thanks for that. I can’t put numbers on though as i have lost both parts of my licence and digi card. And i have never done a printout before. Will the truck be flashing at me and telling me to stop and insert card? Even though i have done a printout at start of my shift?

gallows_man:
Ok thanks for that. I can’t put numbers on though as i have lost both parts of my licence and digi card. And i have never done a printout before.

Do the company not have a photocopy of your licence you could get the number from? Or they must have, or at least should have, downloaded the data from the unit so you could get your digi card number from that. If not phone the DVLA again, explain the situation and get one of the numbers. You really need to be able to write it on the printouts.

gallows_man:
Will the truck be flashing at me and telling me to stop and insert card? Even though i have done a printout at start of my shift?

Probably, I’ve not been in that situation so don’t know for sure. If it does just ignore it.

The tacho will flash “Driving without card” Just press the ok button now and again.

gallows_man:
Ok thanks for that. I can’t put numbers on though as i have lost both parts of my licence and digi card. And i have never done a printout before. Will the truck be flashing at me and telling me to stop and insert card? Even though i have done a printout at start of my shift?

Apart from the last number you can work your driver number out from this, although I can remember my NI number and driving licence number anyway.

A - First five characters of surname. If the surname is less than five characters the remaining spaces will be made up using the figure 9. (eg MAN99)

B - The first and last numbers are the year of birth. The second and third numbers are the month of birth. If you’re a woman, ‘5’ is added to the second number and the total used as the second digit eg if you’re born in October the second and third numbers would be 60. The fourth and fifth digits show the day of your birth.

C - The first two initials of your forenames. If you have only one initial then the second will be a ‘9’.

D - Computer check digits.

E - Licence issue number.

WHEEL509158MJ9UK

If you don’t know your driver card or license number you can just put your name on the printouts, the important thing is that there’s something (either card/license number or your name) on the printouts that identifies you.

Have you filled in the forms for a new license and driver card ?

The reason I ask is because you can only drive for 15 days without the driver card.