Lost my tacho's

Has anybody had an experience of loosing there tachos ive lost 3 weeks worth dont know how i did it and ive looked everywhere. any advise if iam pulled, where do i stand with the law i know your supposed to have the current week and the last day of the previous week but i aint got any.

i lost my tacho your companie shoud have a form thats what i filled in hope this help,s

i meantacho,s (2 weeks) worth

Thanks pal will ask tomorrow.

i had to sign one of those forms from the agency. its basically a declaration stating that you have misplaced the chart/s. it covers them but i dont know where the driver stands in a tricky situation. no doubt at the bottom of the pile as usual :unamused:

when i was self employed i had my car broken into and my bag nicked - it contained all my uk maps - my diary and tachos from at least 3 companies that i had worked for - it’s only because they took the tachos that i bothered spending 2 days trying to contact the police to get a crime refence number so i could send a letter to each of the companies to cover them for the missing mileage should an enquiry ever be made.

why not just write your own letter to your company for their records.

if you keep a diary then you could choose to include the vehicle registrations and mileage totals etc.

i lost a weeks worth once and the agency wernt bothered just sent a form in saying they didnt have them.

hasn’t there just been a story on here where an operator lost his lisence for a “missing” weeks worth of charts?
i keep mine under lock n key, not because i think someone will pinch em, just in case the missus does one of her tidy ups where everything important goes missing! :unamused:

paul b:
hasn’t there just been a story on here where an operator lost his lisence for a “missing” weeks worth of charts?

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11409

One of our drivers forgot to take his tachos with him one time and was then stopped by the ministry. They said he couldn’t drive any further and would have to take a 24hr weekly rest period, as he was away from base,before he could drive again.
Boss had to send another driver out to get the truck home.Not sure how 1st driver got home.Don’t know what the procedure is for lost tachos.

I can’t lose mine as i have to hand them all in every night when i leave work .

Whats the legal status on that as they are legally my responsibility for the 2 weeks i need them can my boss insist i MUST leave them at work when i go home?.

I’m not that bothered but just curious.

jammymutt:
Whats the legal status on that as they are legally my responsibility for the 2 weeks i need them can my boss insist i MUST leave them at work when i go home?.

you should carry your tachos for the current week and the last one from the previous week :wink:

Jammymutt said;

I can’t lose mine as i have to hand them all in every night when i leave work .

Article 15.7 of EC 3821/85 requires that a driver of a vehicle fitted with recording equipment as per Annex 1, is able to produce to an inspecting officer (authorised Police Constable, Examiner appointed under Scn 66A of RTA 1988), the record sheets for the current week, and the sheet for the last day in the previous week in which he/she drove. There is nothing to stop you leaving previous days charts in the office when you go home, but you must have the required charts with you when driving.

Jammymutt also said:

I’m not that bothered but just curious.

You should be bothered. Fail to produce required records is an offence. The vehicle may well be prohibited from further movement and you will probably be reported for consideration for prosecution. Each offence, i.e. failing to produce each chart is a level 5 fine in Magistrates Court; upto £ 5 000. If your employer forces you to hand the charts over then they may be charged with ‘cause’ or ‘permit’ which are more serious matters.

What i was trying to say is i hand them in every night but am given them back at the start of the shift , i dont do nights away i go to and from work every day, they are put in a drawer until i return the next day and i,m given them all back again so i can go out and do my shift.

What i was wondering is that as they are my responsibility do ihave the right to insist i take them home rather than leave them in the office when im on my rest period…

jammymutt:
What i was trying to say is i hand them in every night but am given them back at the start of the shift , i dont do nights away i go to and from work every day, they are put in a drawer until i return the next day and i,m given them all back again so i can go out and do my shift.

as long as you have them when you’re driving I don’t see a problem

What i was wondering is that as they are my responsibility do ihave the right to insist i take them home rather than leave them in the office when im on my rest period…

how about getting a photocopy at the end of each shift ■■

Just get it in writing that they expect you to hand in your tachos every day, so if anything happens to them there they cant turn round and blame you.

i have recently heard we will soon be required to carry 3 weeks worth of tachos. i very much doubt it though and the source is not reliable so i am taking it with a pinch of salt :confused:

scanny77:
i have recently heard we will soon be required to carry 3 weeks worth of tachos. i very much doubt it though and the source is not reliable so i am taking it with a pinch of salt :confused:

I think somebodys tryin to take the vinegar out of you Scanny, as tacho charts will soon be obsolete when the smart card digital tachos e-v-e-n-t-u-a-l-l-y arrive, then you will have 12 months of driving activity on a credit card sized electronic driving licence. :open_mouth:
Modern tecnology, int ■■■ great, eh. :unamused:

Big Joe said;

as tacho charts will soon be obsolete when the smart card digital tachos e-v-e-n-t-u-a-l-l-y arrive, then you will have 12 months of driving activity on a credit card sized electronic driving licence.

Beg pardon to be difficult; the Drivers card will carry upto 28 days worth of data. The vehicle unit will retain upto 1 years’ worth of data. However, both these figures rely on a number of ‘events’ per 24 hours. If you exceed the number then you will store fewer days, if you have fewer events then you will potentially store more days.
Tacho charts are going to be around for a long time, unless the laws are changed to make retro-fitting digital tachos mandatory. The present legislation only requires digital to replace analogue if the whole recording apparatus breaksdown and has to be replaced. The chances of that are very slim as that means sender, wiring and tacho head have to breakdown at the same time and be replaced at the same time. Bearing in mind how many mecahanical and first generation electronic units are still going strong I think the charts still have quite a life expectancy.
Finally; the Drivers Card is not a ‘Driving Licence.’ You do not have to hold an HGV licence to get a Drivers Card. Cards will be issued to whoever needs one; this includes drivers of vans and 4x4’s towing trailers, where entitlement to drive group B+E would be all that they require. The entitlement to drive a particular class of vehicle is not governed by the issue of a Drivers ‘Smart’ Card.

to cut to the chase why dont they make it easy fr us all and let the truck tell us when need a 4 1/2 break just let us put it on other work or break cannot be that hard