Load finding

Myself and another driver are in the thought process of setting up a load finding service. We are now just testing the waters whether this would be beneficial to o/d and small fleets. if the operator calls or e-mails in where they will be and where they want to go and times etc and then we try to find a back load for them, then offer the operator a any loads found, if it is suitable then we l charge a small fee. any feedback welcome and what would you consider a reasonable amount to pay for this service?

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: sorry to laugh but sounds like a none starter really because by the time everyone has taken there cut there aint much left never mind if you take a cut aswell :wink:

There are companies like that already, I can’t remember what they are called, Clearing house springs to mind but its not right.

It was covered when I did my CPC Freight National.

Somebody out there will knwo what I mean.

Are you thinking of giving up work and doing this full time? The only downer is you would need to get a hell of a lot of companies on board to make it worth your while. Say you charged £30 for every load you found, and say you could find 1 load per day (on a good day) thats only around £900 per month before tax.

In order for 2 of you to make a living you would either need to charge companies £100 or so per load, or seriously up the amount of loads you can organise.

Unless you have a different plan?

Can you really get 2 loads per day every day? (minimum).

Yeah, you crack on mate. I mean you must be so much better at finding back loads than hauliers. Of course they are going to do this work and give credit to you or who ever you tell them to invoice. They only way you will get the work is to under cut someone and then you want to take another £30. Forget it, your wasting your time.

Ex Haulier:
Yeah, you crack on mate. I mean you must be so much better at finding back loads than hauliers. Of course they are going to do this work and give credit to you or who ever you tell them to invoice. They only way you will get the work is to under cut someone and then you want to take another £30. Forget it, your wasting your time.

i have to agree, most hauliers will have regular companies they use and can rely on

This is just what the industry requires. Another person taking their cut without actually doing the bleeding job. Non-starter, back to the drawing board IMO.

I fear that you will not get a lot of support on here with a suggestion like that. Also it isn’t as if there are not others out there providing this service already Green GRP, Frigologistics and CRL in the on the temperature controlled side of things.

CRL are very successful but Dave Evans has been building up contacts for over 20 years and works 7 days a week most weeks.

Unless you’ve got a critcal mass of loads and the ability to sell those loads in the market place (contacts etc) you will fail very quickly.

Sounds like a pub talk “idea” imo

If you can get the loads why not try it seems with this site when anyone suggests trying to set up a service or doing something diff they get shot down straight away and yes before you do the same to me i aggree with everyone here on there thoughts but why make sound so harsh

The guy is only asking a question i have a friend that started this service up a few years ago and he is very successful now has a 4 people working for him and he was a driver prior to setting up if you willing to put your heart and soul in it be on call 7 days a week 24 hours a day for the first while till you get it set up and established and get enough contacts i say try it and see how it goes why not if you can get by with little or no wages for a few months and after a few months decide then to go further or call it a day but if you have families etc depending on you bringing in a wage proceed with caution and know what to expect

vinny

vinnyl:
If you can get the loads why not try it seems with this site when anyone suggests trying to set up a service or doing something diff they get shot down straight away and yes before you do the same to me i aggree with everyone here on there thoughts but why make sound so harsh

The guy is only asking a question i have a friend that started this service up a few years ago and he is very successful now has a 4 people working for him and he was a driver prior to setting up if you willing to put your heart and soul in it be on call 7 days a week 24 hours a day for the first while till you get it set up and established and get enough contacts i say try it and see how it goes why not if you can get by with little or no wages for a few months and after a few months decide then to go further or call it a day but if you have families etc depending on you bringing in a wage proceed with caution and know what to expect

vinny

Think that everyone is entitled to their opinion, and most of the time you will get an honest opinion (good or bad) rather than an automatic pat on the back. Congrats to your mate but for every winner there are twenty loser who will sink without trace owing loads of money.

There are many o/d’s and small hauliers on here who would not appreciate someone coming into the market potentially cutting the rates that they are getting.

simon i aggree with you that every one should have there say wether bad or good but do they have to be so drastic about it

Dont know a lot of how my mate runs his business but its all o/d and small hauliers that use him for there work and i know loads of o/d s that started up years ago and just deal with him specifically for work they still do to this day even though they have made there own contacts along the way i dont why maybe cause its just the irish thing that you have loyalty to someone that helps you out maybe diff in uk

somebody else that wants to sit on there arse and let us do all the hard work, no wonder this jobs shagged

chaversdad:
somebody else that wants to sit on there arse and let us do all the hard work, no wonder this jobs shagged

hear hear! before long there’ll be more frigging middle men than actual hauliers to do the work :imp:

i know that a so-called reputable firm last week were offering out 24 tonne pieces of wheeled and tracked plant from central lancashire to south bedfordshire for the princely sum of £ 215 per load - worse bit is some [zb] from hertfordshire did the loads at that rate as “backloads” I know for sure :unamused:

Freight to mail
Shiply
Motor Moves
Shed Five
Loadup
Haulage Exchange
Courier Exchange… need I go on.