New app for finding loads

Hey, sorry for posting this in another forum. We are working on a new app to help connect shippers and haulers directly skipping some of the freight broker overhead in between. We read all the time about guys having to get on the phones spending hours searching for loads. We think that we could build a cool easy to use mobile and web app that makes it so if you are in your truck you can find loads, or if you are a dispatch you can as well. We especially want to make it specifically for licensed, insured, well recorded drivers…its a huge problem we have been hearing from shippers who have been going after the cheapest price, but have been bitten by that tactic too many times.

I’d really appreciate the chance to ask some specific questions to drivers with experience moving loads across the EU. I want to find out how you find your loads, where are your difficulties, how our product could look to help you, things like that.

We know there are groups like wtransnet, and teleroute doing things like this…but we think their products are super expensive and clunky. If you can, shoot me an email me at andrew [at] definitelabs.com

Thanks for the help.

The “owners and fleet operators forum” might be another place where you should ask this question.

Thanks Bald Bloke…appreciate it!

Basically I want to find out how you guys get the backhauls out of the EU, or how you work out cabotage issues. Do you plan for the backhaul before you get there, or is it once you arrive…like I said, if we could chat I’d appreciate the help.

Cheers

techload:
Basically I want to find out how you guys get the backhauls out of the EU, or how you work out cabotage issues. Do you plan for the backhaul before you get there, or is it once you arrive…like I said, if we could chat I’d appreciate the help.

Cheers

Hi mate. Whilst I like the sound of your app I think you’ll find most people in this business to be very tight lipped ! Most “work” is closely guarded and jealously defended because decent haulage rates are notoriously difficult to come by. In essence your asking us for advice to build an app which would probably help undercut us !
Customers want everything done as back haul rates and all hauliers want good rates all round. So never the twain shall meet. Good luck.

It’s completely different to the US way of doing thing drivers aren’t finding there own backloads unless there O/O in the main it wouldn’t work for the eu at all

Appreciate the response guys…I suppose the questions I want to ask are not really specific to how you find your loads, or how you maintain your relationships. Obviously we will never replace something like that. Also, we are trying to build web apps for shippers who can find trusted drivers, and companies…so the idea isn’t to give them opportunities to find the lowest priced eastern european to pick up their products. We have spoken to some of the biggest companies in Europe who are tired of security problems with their loads, and are looking for better ways to find trusted drivers.

I suppose our product is geared toward O/O on the mobile side, but also on the web side for fleet operators, or larger companies who are looking for truckers as well.

We won’t ask for who you drive for, who you do subbies for…simply just finding a way to make life easier on the drivers who maintain good trucks with insurance and licenses.

I think a far more useful app would be for finding ways to get paid once you have tipped the load.

Agreed, we’d like to solve the problem…unfortunately it takes time to prove the product works before we could find investment to guarantee on-time payment. I think Teleroute has actually done well with their payment service they offer.

As already said unless the driver is OO they do not have to find backsloads or outbound loads which part of this is so hard to understand

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

techload:
Agreed, we’d like to solve the problem…unfortunately it takes time to prove the product works before we could find investment to guarantee on-time payment. I think Teleroute has actually done well with their payment service they offer.

Teleroute is very clever, however it still costs money and that money still has to come out of what are at the moment extremely depressed rates. If a customer decides not to pay for whatever reason then even Teleroute cannot wring the cash out of a customer. If the customer is one of the ones who habitually mark CMR’s then Teleroute wont even look at the case.

Alix, I completely understand…however fleet operators have to find those back loads for their drivers right? We want our product to work for O/O and hauliers, not just to find back loads. Drivers are making money when they are moving and keeping their loads secure, not when they are picking up the phone dozens of times a day, or using online products that cost them an arm and a leg just to get back haul priced loads. Also depending on the country the number of O/O varies. Some EU countries have higher number of O/O’s than the UK. Also, wouldn’t building something that helps O/O’s be a good first step?

What we know from the market is that, on the driver/operator side: rates are depressed, payment terms are getting worse, foreigners are taking loads and cutting rates, road freight isn’t going away.

From the shipper or transport buyers side: Issues with security, they subcontract people who are subcontracting others who the client does not know, they will always want lower rates. We have talked to huge companies who are upset about the service they get from outsourcing, as they find the people moving the loads are often coming as the lowest bidder…while middle men keep the margins.

From my point of view this disconnect and these problems are unsustainable…the problems will come to a head, and I doubt faxes and phone calls will be the long term fix.

From my perspective the problem with security/identity can be solved via the web if a shipper knows who is coming to their docks and their history. Drivers should be thrilled by that, you guys work incredibly hard to keep a great reputation. If you or an fleet operator can book loads/trucks with more security of who is coming it could be a start…from there how to solve payment is another story.

alix776:
As already said unless the driver is OO they do not have to find backsloads or outbound loads which part of this is so hard to understand

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

Wrong. A good many drivers for small fleets work on a percentage basis or cents/km and as such will often have to find their own loads - I have had to do this dozens of times over the preceeding years. Dont for one minute think that all drivers in europe are employed on the same basis as you are in the UK. And before someone goes shouting about it being illegal to work on trip money, illegal or otherwise, it is how it works still in many EU countries.

To expound upon my statement regarding getting paid, most people tend to use the same freight forwarders / agents etc… when looking for out and inbound work simply because even if rates are depressed theyn will have worked for them before and got paid by them. Better the devil you know as they say. Many drivers/ods will also ask around about who pays on time and who doesnt - they will then make a decision to work for a company based on the experiences of their peers, rather than a credit risk agency who whilst having access to all manner of fancy info on last years accounts dont see what is happening day to day.

Hombre:
To expound upon my statement regarding getting paid, most people tend to use the same freight forwarders / agents etc… when looking for out and inbound work simply because even if rates are depressed theyn will have worked for them before and got paid by them. Better the devil you know as they say. Many drivers/ods will also ask around about who pays on time and who doesnt - they will then make a decision to work for a company based on the experiences of their peers, rather than a credit risk agency who whilst having access to all manner of fancy info on last years accounts dont see what is happening day to day.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
In One :wink:

techload:
foreigners are taking loads and cutting rates.

a UK driver in Spain or Italy would not be a foreigner then ■■?

techload:
From the shipper or transport buyers side: Issues with security,

most of them will whittle on about load security but do not want to pay for it

techload:
while middle men keep the margins.

most of these people would not know what a truck looks like from the inside, 2 telephones, a fax and a computer and you are in business

Sorry I meant foreigners from Eastern Europe who are under cutting load prices.