Limited to 51mph?

Apolgies if this is a stupid question but its bugging me.

The truck I drive often through an agency has always had gearbox problems and keeps going in for that and an issue with the limiter but nothing seems to change. Its a Scania semi auto.

I was led to believe(or I misunderstood what people said) that the limiter was set too low, theres a sticker saying "limited to 89km/h) but it wont go above 85 ish. The other drivers call it the slow truck and keep asking if theyve sorted it yet. As it never went faster than 85 even after it was fixed I wrote this on the defect sheet, the same as other drivers, regular and agency for months.

On monday I was moaned at saying its company policy to retro fit limiters on thier post 2010 trucks at 51mph to save fuel so stop writing it on the defect sheet!!! Id even spoke to them about it and no one mentioned it before.

Does this actually save fuel? It seems to make the gearbox stutter and struggle in low gears and theres a second long loss of power when pulling away.

Sorry for the ramble Im thinking out loud :stuck_out_tongue:

If you are agency and paid by the hour don’t moan ask them to slow it even more.

lots of companies do it, have you ever caught anyone up on the motorway? or do you manage to keep up with a few?
Can’t see how it could affect acceleration at all, its a limiter it regulates fuel when it reaches a certain speed :unamused:

jamesfwpurdy:
its bugging me.Its a Scania

Maybe taken out of context, but enough said :laughing:

Other than a few odd bits here and there I’ve only ever worked for this company and only ever come across this on this one truck of theirs.

Interesting about the fuel limit and that makes sense, whereas the guy who explained why it was there said it was to do with the gears. Mind you he did say it was limited to 61mph!!! that would be heaven lol.

As for overtaking, occasionally if I’m lucky or if something heavy is going uphill!!!

It sounds as if the truck has either still got a gearbox problem or that’s how it is meant to be and you will just have to get used to it.
A speed limiter does just that, limits speed, so until you reach the limit at which it is set, it won’t do anything.
If it is set at 85 kph, that’s another thing you will have to get used to.
There is no question that the lower speed setting will save fuel and it is in common use.

Regards,
Nick.

Last week I was experimenting with different speeds on the cruise control over 20-30km distances on a long run. I found that dropping from 89km to 87km made approx 10% difference to the fuel consumption. I tried other speeds too but nothing could better the figures I got at 87km/h. I tried it over 3 sections and the results were very similar. Changing the speed can save money but it’s not neccessarily a case of cutting the speed completely.

At 85km/h it might start to faff about changing up & down gear whereas at 89km it would be quite happy.

basic rule of thumb i’ve always gone by in any vehicle, the more gear changes the lower the mpg.

Hello mate just plod on and if they ever moan about the time it takes you to do a run then you know the answer :open_mouth: I Can only go as fast as your scania will carry me boss :slight_smile: and I did report it boss but was told to stop putting it on the defect book :smiley:
though it should not affect acceleration only max speed but most autos are always slow off the mark :frowning: at junctions and its a pain in the ahh well never mind eh :wink: