Restricted to 51mph!

did a few days last week on agency for supermarket and was given the keys to a 60 plate merc (hacksaw) top speed was 51mph!!! WTF!!! YES WTF!, when i got back off my 1st trip i was questioned on the debrief by a 18yr old harry potter lookalike… why did you get to the store late? (in a sarcastic manner)… because your motors are [zb] thats why i was late you kn*b!, was my answer!..that was last week,…thats probaly why i havent had any calls for more workfrom the agency. doh

Ha, like your style! Have you just won the Lotto?

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: That’s the correct answer.That’s just what I would have said to my old guvnors if they’d asked the same question at 85 kmh let alone less.But you might have gone a bit ott with the insults when just calling the zb a zb cretin would have done. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ask jd about slow motors, he knows all about them, 51 was fast compared to his lol

I used to drive some that were limited to 51.5mph. But according to the satnav… and one of those “your speed - slow down etc” signs, this was 46mph.

Under the EU directive they’re all supposed to be restricted to 85KPH which is roughly 52MPH (you’ll see that on the disc affixed to the window) so you could say that they were probably some of the only ones done properly in the UK :stuck_out_tongue:

Plenty fast enough for me; not enough time to do last load, find a layby and drink tea :smiley:

Quite a few firms are running around less than 56mph. I very often run mine just back off the limiter, whether it saves any fuel or not I’m not sure but I enjoy running at my own speed. If I was being paid by the hour, I’d be more than content to toddle about at what ever speed they wanted to set the motors at.

BB

Mines been cut from 56 down to 52 :unamused: , I only run lightly loaded and haven’t noticed any difference in fuel consumption but journey times are close now on some runs I do. It seems a lot more tiring driving slower too.

Agree with that. On SCs I’ll occasionally switch cruise off as it keeps me more alert.

I am limited to 50 lol

But when im fully laden its nice to get a good run down a incline to take advantage of the added mass :smiley:

leave the depot, drive for 2 hours, return to depot. report the fault. :wink: :laughing:

limeyphil:
leave the depot, drive for 2 hours, return to depot. report the fault. :wink: :laughing:

and what fault would that be Phil?

would you of rather gone at 56 and then had 2 hours less money,i drive for supermarket at 51 and just sit there counting the cash,best bit is when you spend 3 hours at a shop watching them unload then spend 50 mins on paid break before heading back.

shuttlespanker:

limeyphil:

and what fault would that be Phil?

sluggish, won’t get up to limiter speed, possible blocked injector. causing driver undue stress, in fear of being rammed up the rear by an irish tipper driver. :laughing:

As the law says we can do 60mph on the motorway, Limiters should be 60… All the EU’s fault.

Ours are set at 52 but there a couple that they have missed and still do 56. I’ve noticed that I am overtaking a lot more asda and sainsburys lorries these days. It’s devils choice though, either crawl past with a 1mph speed differential and annoy everybody or back off and sit looking at the back of it for miles and miles.

Most of ours are limited to 52(84ks) but with that VEB which cuts in at 89 and i shift it does make for easy driving.It can be a bit awkward at times so I’ve found its best to back off and stay out of the way,when a wagon is joining the M way in front, though with others limited down you may have to slow to 80ks or spend 8 mile dragging past, something I got wise to and abandoned a couple of weeks after limiters were introduced.Even with a 90k wagon-always another make-I set the cruise to 85 as we get told off for exceeding 90ks too often.It makes no odds on the runs I do,different everyday but the same every week, but clearly no good on long journey on a tight schedule.

Lycanthrope:
As the law says we can do 60mph on the motorway, Limiters should be 60… All the EU’s fault.

So we do 60mph, the foreigners drive on the limiter at 56 and the coaches are in the middle lane doing 62 mph. Something seems amiss here :unamused:

And the answer is blatantly obvious, not!

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8493905.stm

Conor:
Under the EU directive they’re all supposed to be restricted to 85KPH which is roughly 52MPH (you’ll see that on the disc affixed to the window) so you could say that they were probably some of the only ones done properly in the UK :stuck_out_tongue:

Not quite correct

The EU regulations for HGVs permit a 5kph difference between the set speed and maximum stabilised speed (90kph). So it is legal to set the speed limiter at 90 and to affix a ‘set at 85kph’ sticker.

To quote the FTA

Where a speed limiter is calibrated so that the stabilised speed does not exceed 90kph, the speed limiter meets the definition in the regulations on being ‘set at 85kph’.