Limited Access for guests?

Some do!

Some dont!

Some will!

Some wont!

A song? or maybe 50 guests all having a look at our website!

TruckNet is unique! it is only here because of the members who post and read. Rikki and the mob provide it free for us!

I would like to propose a new room on TruckNet…for the users… U know U lot who can be bothered to reply to this thread…not the rest of you!

Opinions please!

NEW users opinions will be read :smiley: :wink:

you need to be a member to post any way! Also, it is the many who look at the site who pay for it, without them there would be no one willing to advertise. I personally have no problem with “Guests” reading all of our ramblings, some of them might just feel strongly enough to reply and therefore register.

No, many members started as guests and it is the content that incourages them to join.

over a period of a month rikki and lucy should total the amount of guests we get on this site,compair it with how many members are on over the same period.and see if we get as many hits if there was a members only forum.i think the hit figures would drop pretty quickly.plus the sponsors want people to see their ads,thats what they pay rikki for and if they ain’t getting their money’s worth then they’ll go else where. :wink: just my opinion

NO have we got any thing to hide , if we wish to share our

thoughts with just a select few then we can use the PM system

I found this site by browseing and in my opinion WE have the

best site for trucker;s . ´We need these guests as the sponsors , as

some one has already pointed out will not be at all HAPPY if the

amount of people veiwing the site were to drop, so would our

sponsorship also drop, and what then? LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE

We are all adults on here and have nothing to hide…or shouldnt have…if we do then dont put to words…this site is basically for truckers to air their views…to learn something they dont know…or to have a chat…but i would welcome anybody to this site who can contribute something worthwhile…or even to browse…so i would vote to leave things as they are.
have a nice day

Absolutley not, I lurked as a guest for a good few months before I plucked up the courage to register and post. I can only see it having a detrimental effect on the sight as a whole, so I vote no.

Depends if the members here can “speak proper english like what i does” :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing:

I can see both points, but Id guess many find it a hassle joining every website they come across. The sucess of any website is by how many members contribute, rather than how many members it has.

I have let this run for a day or so , to see the response.

But I have to say… and excuse me for this, but I have certain thought s and feelings towards the internet in general… bear with me here it is relevant :open_mouth:

• No-one can or should OWN the internet
  • the internets primary role is NOT online sales, but rather the free flow of information
  • every one should have access to the information, regardless of status in society
  • Only by beng informed can people make informed choices, the internet is unique in that it can provide the whole of society with the knowledge they need to enhance their lives in almost every sphere of their lives
  • Excluding parts of society from that knowledge for whatever reason creates an Apartheid situation, something I find abhorrent.

So how does those airy fairy ideals fit in with Trucknet UK?? and how do I reconcile TruckNet UK being a commercial enterprise…

Simply this, TruckNet UK has certain standards that we expect users to uphold, we expect EVERY user of this site to be comfortable with the language used, and irrespective of their lifestyle/colour/religion etc to be able to utalise this site without any fear of retribution, that is why the level of moderating standards on this site are higher than on other sites.

TruckNet UK will always, while I have control , solely concerntrate on the flow of experience and information between professional drivers, and between the industry and its members, we will not become an e-commerce site.
We have forums that only regsitered members can read, they are there for a number of reasons… the news for instance is read only for members, if it was for public consumption we would have copyright issues to deal with, the for sale swap forum etc is registered members only so we can easily trace people in case of disputes BUT the information forums are available to all

TruckNet UK is not free to run, especially because it is so popular, it eats a huge amount of bandwidth, and because of the constantly rising usage we have had to move to larger better servers far quicker than we ever anticipated… to provide a decent level of service we have had to buy, and modify a lot of software and some hardware, To fund this we have looked to commercial companies, and some have responded generously. Of the funds we have raised this year well over 60% has gone back to the members of the industry, by supporting outside organisations, by things like the USA competition, by investing in software and hardware to ensure we stay the best site for drivers.

Now here is a fact that the members wont know… We hit a cash crisis early last year, I personally had promised the moderators a free TruckNet UK Polo/T shirt as a thankyou for all their work… EVERYONE ONE OF THEM after hearing that money was tight said that they didnt want it… :open_mouth:

After 5 years of running this site I and no other person has ever drawn a wage from it, Most of mine and Lucys expenses are now covered, but at times we still have to top up the account, and this will continue until the revenue from TruckNet UK allows us to both support our members and the industry, carry on evolving the site, and build for the future, then and only then will I draw a wage.

The ethos of providing FREE information to ALL is paramount, this site will never charge truck drivers to use it, and will never exclude drivers (unless they repeatadly,as an individual, cannot conform to the standards of behaviour expected on this site).

over a period of a month rikki and lucy should total the amount of guests we get on this site,compair it with how many members are on over the same period

So far today (4pm) according to the server…

This site has been visited by 3596 different IP addresses

it has recorded 7127 seperate visits

the forums recorded 92 members have logged in

I can see what Rikki is saying and agree with his principals. On that basis alone, I would vote ‘No’.

However, I wouldn’t want to be a hypocrite, as another site to which I hold membership, (a certain make of motorbike ) does have a ‘members only’ area, which I ‘voted’ for. The difference is that we were offered some discounts from some of the major sponsors of the site and as an element of control a members only area was created. It was from here that the special offers could be accessed by only the people they were intended for.

If a similar situation were to arise here on TN, then I would revaluate my decision.

marcustandy:
However, I wouldn’t want to be a hypocrite, as another site to which I hold membership, (a certain make of motorbike ) does have a ‘members only’ area, which I ‘voted’ for. The difference is that we were offered some discounts from some of the major sponsors of the site and as an element of control a members only area was created. It was from here that the special offers could be accessed by only the people they were intended for.

Totally agree with you on that im a member of the RS2000 owners club which is a paid membership jobbie with benefits so we have our own room where we ■■■■■ at all the non payers :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

simon

Totally agree with you on that im a member of the RS2000 owners club which is a paid membership jobbie with benefits so we have our own room where we ■■■■■ at all the non payers

simon,you have paid for the right to be a member of that site and if it get’s discounts on certain items etc,that is a privilege only paid up members are entitled to and i totally agree with that.as stated here m8 it is free and it will remain free as stated by the owners of tn,i can’t see how tn would benefit by hiding things.

Well Well Well!

It doesn’t surprise me that you good people have replied to this topic!

I also understand why the people who voted no to a private contributors forum!
In fact I would hate one!

My point was made because if you read Rikki’s figures on the visitors and member numbers to TN then I believe we as contributors are getting short changed by the masses who never contribute!

I want to read other opinions; I want to understand them all… But alas mostly the only ones I, and indeed all of us get is ours! Encouraging others to join in is the only way forward for this website, New Idea’s come from NEW PEOPLE!

I would like to propose a new room on TruckNet…for the users… U know U lot who can be bothered to reply to this thread…not the rest of you!

this is what you said at the start of your thread :exclamation:

I also understand why the people who voted no to a private contributors forum!
In fact I would hate one!

and this is what you typed later on :exclamation: :confused: that old bucks fizz song making yer mind up :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Its called debate!!!

I saw it as my mission to get you to talk about this topic!

It worked!

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :wink: :wink:

u called it mission :wink: i called it confused :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I voted No.