T/Net update

Some folks think we are a little too harsh… so to give a factual idea of where the team stands… we have nearly
17000 registered members
Over 65% of those are/or have been active (e.g actually posted not just reading )
In total 26 people cannot post without their posts being checked
of those 5 are permanatly on that status, the others will be taken off once they show they can post repsonibly
2 of the 26 are on permament read only status and will never have their posting rights resumed.

There is a massive majority of folks who use this website within the rules and enjoy their visits, over 1.25 million page views a month tells us that

Given the size of this board, the nature of our industry and the emotions that the job strikes in some folks that is a remarkably small percentage of people who fall foul of the rules.

The very fact that the huge majority can and do post, interact and enjoy the site says we have the rules just about right( although we will continue to tweak and amend as needed)

We have in the past few weeks overtaken our original parent site in the Alexa rankings and are now ranked the biggest drivers website in terms of traffic (thats these forums only)

I am not saying we get everything right, we behind the scenes know we dont, but we try to learn, adapt and change
Come August we will have the 10th anniversary of the launch of TruckNet UK, Born out of other websites, but now the original still here and still number one.

The very fact we have been here so long, been the best resource for so long is down to the members who use the website, and the volunteer team. some who have been here throughout the whole 10 years.

At times some folks may not like what we are doing, but to still behere after 10 years and still be on top of the heap … we all gotta be doing something right…

Your post makes no sense Rikki. Are you wanting to justify why you are (not)harsh or just wanting to brag about your Alexa stats? :grimacing: Makes your mind up.

:confused:

Both Rob… becuase they are intertwined… if we were getting it wrong then we would drop,

But I take your point and have changed the title :grimacing:

Who are the 26 members then? :grimacing:

I can’t think of anyone that would need to be on pre-mod. :open_mouth: Surely a friendly warning would suffice and then use the progressive ban system (24 hrs, 1 week, etc) til they get the message? I will openly admit I’m probably the most rowdy and argumentative/trouble-causing member :blush: here but I manage to stay the correct side of the line (just :stuck_out_tongue: ) so how come others can’t? :confused: :confused: :confused: Doesn’t make sense. Personal vendettas? :open_mouth:

Rob K:
Who are the 26 members then? :grimacing:

You know answer to that one …

Any sanctions taken against a member are private between the member and the TruckNet UK website team. We will not enter into public discussion about those actions

:grimacing: :grimacing:

And to the 2nd part… we upgraded the forums which gave us more options, simple banning never worked as some folks know !!

Any Rob, tis late… off to bed catch ya later…

OK Rik. I added a bit while you were typing.

Well I’m one of them :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Thing is, Rob, contrary to popular opinion, we don’t actually WANT to ban anyone. Using the pre-mod thing is a compromise which allows people another chance before we go down that route. It’s more of a management tool than a punishment, really. Just makes our lives easier for a while, that’s all. :grimacing:

Ps. Personal vendettas are boring and get no-one anywhere. Very 2005, in fact. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi,just a quick question about T/Net site,i go on the site daily now and think its great and dont have any complaints at all.I would like to ask is theres any chance maybe in the future the site could get a ‘Like’ button,pretty much the same as the facebook sites ‘Like’ button so if we see a pic or a comment that we like we can just use that to highlight the fact that we ‘Like’ said item.Just an idea thats all i dont kno what hassle it would entail and aswell i wouldnt want you changing the site just for me its just a good suggestion maybe for the future that would improve an already excellent forum…What does anyone think■■?

It’d involve major programming hassle, as it’s not an option that comes as part of the software we’re running at the moment, and we haven’t got any money to change it. Sorry. :cry:

Morning Lucy,Thanks for the reply. Oh sounds like lot of hassle then i didnt realise.Was just an idea ha im sure we can live without it then,great forum anyway. :smiley:

Lucy:
Thing is, Rob, contrary to popular opinion, we don’t actually WANT to ban anyone. Using the pre-mod thing is a compromise which allows people another chance before we go down that route. It’s more of a management tool than a punishment, really. Just makes our lives easier for a while, that’s all. :grimacing:

If I may stick my over-sized oar in again :grimacing: , I personally think that being on pre-mod is worse than being given a short ban. There’s something ‘insulting’ (?) in having your posts checked for suitability by a higher authority before being approved for public viewing. I think if you were on the receiving end you wouldn’t be happy about it and would probably just give up posting altogether. I think a short ban is better as it’s short-sharp-shock treatment and gives you time to reflect and realise that admin are serious about you taking the ■■■■. Carry on taking the ■■■■ after your 24hr time out then it’s a week, month etc. I don’t see the problem with it and it would be easier to manage than having to having to pre-mod every post, imho.

And to Rikki - you say a ban doesn’t work but neither does being put on pre-mod. Both can be circumvented in the same way we’re both thinking of.

Volvofh16:
Hi,just a quick question about T/Net site,i go on the site daily now and think its great and dont have any complaints at all.I would like to ask is theres any chance maybe in the future the site could get a ‘Like’ button,pretty much the same as the facebook sites ‘Like’ button so if we see a pic or a comment that we like we can just use that to highlight the fact that we ‘Like’ said item.Just an idea thats all i dont kno what hassle it would entail and aswell i wouldnt want you changing the site just for me its just a good suggestion maybe for the future that would improve an already excellent forum…What does anyone think■■?

I’m quite a fan of the ‘thanks’ button on moneysavingexpert forums. It’s supposed to be used only if you find the post “useful” but most people will click it if they just simply agree with what the OP wrote. It’d be nice to see something similar here.

I think that Trucknet is an excellent tool for connecting trainers and wannabees. (Yes, I know there’s loads of other stuff but TBH I don’t normally stray far from the Newbies & Wannabees).

When I say “connect” I mean that in the nicest way. On one hand, I’m happy to give free advice based on 40 years in the transport training industry and, on odd occasions, the payback is that we get to train drivers from the site. I can count on one hand the number of drivers who have come via this route, but as a large supermarket says, “every little helps!”

I only have one “beef”. I believe that comments that are overtly personal and insulting should be removed. I shouldn’t have to move the laptop when my grandaughter is coming within view. I’m sure I’m not alone but I’m probably in a tiny minority of people who don’t want that sort of thing in their living room.

Overall I repeat that Trucknet is an excellent site. Keep it up :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
I think that Trucknet is an excellent tool for connecting trainers and wannabees. (Yes, I know there’s loads of other stuff but TBH I don’t normally stray far from the Newbies & Wannabees).

When I say “connect” I mean that in the nicest way. On one hand, I’m happy to give free advice based on 40 years in the transport training industry and, on odd occasions, the payback is that we get to train drivers from the site. I can count on one hand the number of drivers who have come via this route, but as a large supermarket says, “every little helps!”

I only have one “beef”. I believe that comments that are overtly personal and insulting should be removed. I shouldn’t have to move the laptop when my grandaughter is coming within view. I’m sure I’m not alone but I’m probably in a tiny minority of people who don’t want that sort of thing in their living room.

Overall I repeat that Trucknet is an excellent site. Keep it up :laughing: :laughing:

Why do you have to move your laptop away from your granddaughter for “overtly personal and insulting” comments? Do you intend to wrap her in cotton wool for all of her life then? :unamused:

Abusive content is either [zb]ed out or removed altogether, and that is the only possible “beef” that you can really “beef” about. The site is adult orientated and the admins are not responsible for your oversensitiveness and ado about nothing. :unamused:

admins are not responsible for your oversensitiveness and ado about nothing

Not suggesting for one moment that they are responsible. The contributors are responsible for what goes on the site and I fully accept your point that it is an adult orientated site.

But the fact still remains that I would prefer to make my points without resorting to petty insults and bad language. I can only dream that other people out there might follow the lead. It’s not necc’y to use bad language to make or reinforce a point. Just don’t understand why it’s done.

Maybe I am oversensitve! :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

Hi Peter,

Rob has dealt with your two points, but I’d add that this kind of stuff isn’t usually found in the Newbies’ forum. If you find anything of this nature, please don’t hesitate to use the confidential “report” button at the top right of each post, and we’ll deal with it appropriately if it breaks the site rules.
I’m in the same minority who doesn’t want that kind of thing in my living room, because that’s one of the legitimate choices that are open to me, and I won’t be bullied into accepting it any time soon. It’s nothing to do with me being over sensitive, it’s my choice and I’ve chosen.
I’m told that there are other forums for folk who enjoy that kind of thing. :wink:

Although we try our best, unfortunately some things do slip through. :frowning: :blush: