Lift axle on unit?

I have always wondered what the difference is between a mid lift and a rear ( tag ) axle lift. Most units nowadays seem to have mid lift but years ago there used to be quite a lot of rear lift ones about also, why is mid lift more popular now apart from Eat More Chips who dont seem to like mid lift.

wpfd49b239.png

The advantages of a tag means you can screw the trailer round quicker, which I see as a distinct disadvantage, but traction is possibly better with a rear lift. Disadvantages are ripping the rear wings or catching the undersides of a trailer when the tag is lifted.

I think a midlift pusher is the ideal solution for 44tonne.

Also a long wheelbase midlift will ride better than a nodding donkey

Whilst we’re on the subject why do some units have a smaller wheel on the mid lift? Is it simply to save weight, or can’t they gross at 44t?

dukeofdirt:
Whilst we’re on the subject why do some units have a smaller wheel on the mid lift? Is it simply to save weight, or can’t they gross at 44t?

From what I have read they are to save weight, but can still gross 44t mostly see them on tankers/tipper work. Or atleast where I live they are anyways.

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

jonnytruckfest:

dukeofdirt:

From what I have read they are to save weight, but can still gross 44t mostly see them on tankers/tipper work. Or atleast where I live they are anyways.

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

Here we are, just like Blue Peter

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69888&p=883955&hilit=small+wheels#p883286

I’m driving a tag axle at present. The extra weight behind the drive axle causes a bit of a pendulum effect when it’s up.It’s not terrible but a mid lift does ride better.

Tag axel gives you a smaller turning circle so is better on farm work than a mid lift but they are few and far between nowadays as they tend to scrub tyres out so most hauliers opt for a mid lift as most are steerers aswell which will reduce scrub and improve mpg.

oops posted that twice :blush:

Tag axles still very popular in Scotland, Galts, Steven of Wick and most Scanias from the Aberdeen area are Tags.

tag axle=traction,ask anybody on timber haulage,farm work,low loaders etc

bald bloke:
I have always wondered what the difference is between a mid lift and a rear ( tag ) axle lift. Most units nowadays seem to have mid lift but years ago there used to be quite a lot of rear lift ones about also, why is mid lift more popular now apart from Eat More Chips who dont seem to like mid lift.

Look at the size of the diesel tank.

Spiers & Hartwell only use tags and only a few truck go onto farms where they require a greater turning circle but each to their own i say.