Tag vs mid lift

So tags are rated for more weight? They also lift higher and improve traction? Mid lifts can steer improving wear?

What is your opinion and preference, we have never had a mid lift always tags due to traction on some of our sites, they seem to have a lot more advantages in my mind, yet most trucks you see on the road are mid lift, does the tyre wear and cost have anything to do with that?

Tags can háve issues picking up certain trailers and probaly don’t ride quite as well as a mid lift but if you are going anywhere with traction issues a mid lift is hopeless.

We run a midlift R480 on our stepframe lowloader, it’s just a standard tractor unit and as such not ideal for going off the road. A tag axle would have been better but they are few and far between as a good used units.

A tag axle is the best option if you do a lot off road work where traction is a problem and also they are better if you do a lot of turning round in a tight spot
finding a good used example will be harder than a mid lift tho as the type of work tags are used for can mean the trucks had a hard life

The unit I drive is terrible when the tag is up, as it has a hiab on it, the Fith wheel is slid right back over the tag axle and as a result when you have it lifted its like driving a sea-saw, the trailer pushes down on you a lot.

Apart from that it’s great, I would think tag would be more popular by what you have all said, I mean it is manoeuvrable and better if you do need to deliver to a rough site, and I “think” they are actualy rated for more weight than a mid lift steer.

If you look closely the trailer is sat right over the last axle, obviously with this load I would drop the tag anyway, even with the container empty.

ibson:
What is your opinion and preference

a twin drive powered by a two-stroke aircooled detroit diesel of course :smiley:

but seriously, a tag is the only way to go in rough conditions, winters in norway for example but if you’re not running with enough weight to need to have the axle down all the time, I’d prefer a midlift.

Many valid points but they just don’t “look” right do they…

May as well just get double drive if you can aford it if traction’s an issue.

Silver_Surfer:
Many valid points but they just don’t “look” right do they…

May as well just get double drive if you can aford it if traction’s an issue.

That’s true, but they are really crap on fuel and diesel!

It sounds like anyone delivering to construction sites and places alike would benefit from a tag.

So what’s the advantage of a mid lift? I mean why doesn’t everyone buy tag if they are the same on fuel but offer more when it comes to traction.

ibson:

Fuel and diesel?

:laughing:

Paul

milodon:

ibson:
What is your opinion and preference

a twin drive powered by a two-stroke aircooled detroit diesel of course :smiley:

but seriously, a tag is the only way to go in rough conditions, winters in norway for example but if you’re not running with enough weight to need to have the axle down all the time, I’d prefer a midlift.

Oh christ Carryfast will be sporting a semi when he sees this :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ibson:
So what’s the advantage of a mid lift? I mean why doesn’t everyone buy tag?

I would imagine the smoother ride and easier handling of a midlift are a couple of plus points. The tag I used to drive had a very short wheelbase and would rock roll going over speed bumps and the steering was twitchy at times.

repton:

ibson:

Fuel and diesel?

Paul

Haha this was either a drunk post or very tired! Haha I think I meant fuel and tyres… Maybe lol

mucker85:

ibson:
So what’s the advantage of a mid lift? I mean why doesn’t everyone buy tag?

I would imagine the smoother ride and easier handling of a midlift are a couple of plus points. The tag I used to drive had a very short wheelbase and would rock roll going over speed bumps and the steering was twitchy at times.

I suppose the handling is ■■■■, mines a long wheel base tag, but with a 9 tonne crane as high as the cab it does feel top heavy and your right about speed bumps!!

mucker85:
The tag I used to drive had a very short wheelbase and would rock roll going over speed bumps and the steering was twitchy at times.

That’s a major issue on ride & ‘twitchyness’, back in the 90’s I used to own a Volvo F12 ‘Sride’ (tag) which had a 3,2m wheelbase and that was brilliant in all regards, the firm I work for now has a Scania R124 tag with a really short wheelbase and that can be scary when empty, particularly through the Mersey tunnel where it sometimes weaves all over the show over reacting terribly to steering imput.

Midlifts are normally at least 3.8m so naturally ride well loaded or empty, I don’t drive all the time so usually get to drive our spare motor which is an 06 reg 480 Stralis 6x2 twinsteer with no midlift so can be a nightmare in the wet even when loaded but empty is simple muder for grip. The ride however is superb!!

Ross.

Ride and especially handling, can’t beat a second steer axle with full size wheels.

Tare weight wise though, small wheeled mid lift takes the prize.

Juddian:
Tare weight wise though, small wheeled mid lift takes the prize.

Deffo, we’ve got a Scania 470 with ‘caravan wheels’ and that will lift when fully freighted so traction is never an issue with that!!

Ross.

ibson:

repton:

ibson:

Fuel and diesel?

Paul

Haha this was either a drunk post or very tired! Haha I think I meant fuel and tyres… Maybe lol

A 6x4 is actually better on tires than a 6x2 BUT fuel consumption is a bit higher + it’s heavier than a 6x2 so less payload
But no mather if it’s a pusher, tag or tandem it’s the same weight limit = 26t for the truck,
tag = 11,5t + 7,5t
pusher = 7,5 + 11,5t
tandem = 9,5t + 9,5t
makes it 19t on the bogey in any combination

Once you have driven 6x2 tag in the winter you don’t want anything else. Or if I would be the one making the laws, anything else than 6x2 tag or 6x4 would be forbidden north of Denmark in the winter :slight_smile:

Icee:

ibson:

repton:

ibson:

Fuel and diesel?

Paul

A 6x4 is actually better on tires than a 6x2 BUT fuel consumption is a bit higher + it’s heavier than a 6x2 so less payload
But no mather if it’s a pusher, tag or tandem it’s the same weight limit = 26t for the truck,
tag = 11,5t + 7,5t
pusher = 7,5 + 11,5t
tandem = 9,5t + 9,5t
makes it 19t on the bogey in any combination

Once you have driven 6x2 tag in the winter you don’t want anything else. Or if I would be the one making the laws, anything else than 6x2 tag or 6x4 would be forbidden north of Denmark in the winter :slight_smile:

I knew that it was 26 tonne gross but I thought a tag was rated for more, ie, you may be overloading a certain axle with a badly distributed load, hence why people might go for a tag, the truck I have been driving for example has a 9 tonne crane on it, so we went for a truck with a 9 tonne front axle (super singles basically) and a tag, so the main weight is closest to the drive axle.

Does anyone know if a tag is rated for more weight?

bigr250:

mucker85:
The tag I used to drive had a very short wheelbase and would rock roll going over speed bumps and the steering was twitchy at times.

That’s a major issue on ride & ‘twitchyness’, back in the 90’s I used to own a Volvo F12 ‘Sride’ (tag) which had a 3,2m wheelbase and that was brilliant in all regards, the firm I work for now has a Scania R124 tag with a really short wheelbase and that can be scary when empty, particularly through the Mersey tunnel where it sometimes weaves all over the show over reacting terribly to steering imput.

Midlifts are normally at least 3.8m so naturally ride well loaded or empty, I don’t drive all the time so usually get to drive our spare motor which is an 06 reg 480 Stralis 6x2 twinsteer with no midlift so can be a nightmare in the wet even when loaded but empty is simple muder for grip. The ride however is superb!!

Ross.

We’ve had the Stralis 6x2 with and without midlift and the ASR flickers on just as much on both running empty.

It’s almost like it could do with trailer headboard weights like for a Moffett.