Tag vs mid lift

if the tag has twin wheels, it would be a 10t axle, otherwise no

ibson:
Does anyone know if a tag is rated for more weight?

Assuming we’re talking normal tractor units and not getting into special types territory then no, a tag unit will have the same MGW as a midlift, usually around 23-24t. The midlift Renault that I am in now has a plated weight of 23550kg, for example, even though the axle weights add up to 25550kg, so whilst uprating an axle might help with weight distribution problems it would not normally increase the MGW.

Paul

milodon:
if the tag has twin wheels, it would be a 10t axle, otherwise no

That depends on the manufactuer, Volvo for instance don’t rate the tag on design weights that high & I think neither do Scania, I seem to think Daf do though…

Thanks for the info people.

fly sheet:
That depends on the manufactuer, Volvo for instance don’t rate the tag on design weights that high & I think neither do Scania, I seem to think Daf do though…

They don’t have the specs on their sites but I can’t see why anyone would buy a twin-wheeled tag anyway, if it didn’t allow more weight. most tractors and rigids in scandinavia have them though.

milodon:
They don’t have the specs on their sites but I can’t see why anyone would buy a twin-wheeled tag anyway, if it didn’t allow more weight. most tractors and rigids in scandinavia have them though.

Some people care more about what their truck looks like than any practical or financial consideration and if it makes them look like a big hard heavy haulage 6x4 type they might consider it worth the extra weight and tyre bills.

Paul

milodon:

fly sheet:

a twin wheel tag on a tipper will give a wider, therefore more stable footprint whilst tipping.

repton:

milodon:

Some people care more about what their truck looks like than any practical or financial consideration and if it makes them look like a big hard heavy haulage 6x4 type they might consider it worth the extra weight and tyre bills.

Paul

Units with twin tyred tags can be seen on STGO work

around the northern parts of europe, they’re seen on all kinds of work, providing traction for ferry trailers for example

the most common type of truck to be seen

the difference between a tag and a twin steer is like day and night wen on general haulage work. the tag axle will break ur bak wen empty and very twitchy wen loaded if nearly been over the hedge a cupl o times with a tag scania its not a nice feeling atall but the twin steer is far more motorway friendly and road friendly but traction and manoeverabilty well the tag is far better

milodon:

fly sheet:

Late answer but the reason is simple.

A twin wheeled tag is more stable in the snow than a single. And no a tag truck won’t brake your back empty, in fact a full air truck you won’t even notice that the axle is lifted

• when you drive the truck fully loaded all the time (not those chocolate 10t loads) = 26t on the truck or 50-60t total. the tire wear will be a bit less and a bit smaller chance to overheat the tires.