Tag axle Vs mid lift

Why do we have two types of lifting axle? What are the benefits/drawbacks of each? Perhaps a boring question but I’m curious…

save money any carry more weight. I think a tag is best on a scania than a midlift and yet a midlift on a magnum is better than a tag

Tag axles used to be popular but you don’t see them as much because it’s difficult to get within the length and turning circle regulations with one, or so my boss tells me.

With a tag you can get a better turning circle and can have bigger tanks, I would prefer a tag myself to a mid-lift.

Used to like the Tag axle on the Scania, it was good for turning in tight spaces and if it was muddy or snowing you could lift it up to get some better traction, but the downside to it was that you got the run up ramps stuck up inside the trailer chasis when turning on a sharp camber, especially when running with Mega trailers.

i,d swap a mid for a tag anyday but merc dont do them on an actros {i asked} much more practical on general haulage

if i had to have a 6 wheeler, i would want a tag, mid lifts i think are a bit guff, especially if its not a twin steer, they are a bloody nightmare in the wet!

one allows better manoeuvering in tight spaces, better traction at the push of a button, bigger fuel tanks, better ride etc etc - the other is a waste of space and known as a gaylift (well, maybe just by me :laughing: )

• in light of another recent thread, i’d like to qualify the gay being used is the pejorative used colloquially to denote something below standard, unsightly or not fit for purpose - midlift axles are NOT actually homosexual :wink:

jj72:
one allows better manoeuvering in tight spaces, better traction at the push of a button, bigger fuel tanks, better ride etc etc - the other is a waste of space and known as a gaylift (well, maybe just by me :laughing: )

• in light of another recent thread, i’d like to qualify the gay being used is the pejorative used colloquially to denote something below standard, unsightly or not fit for purpose - midlift axles are NOT actually homosexual :wink:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

who needs more than 2 axles on tractor a waste of space
more trouble than their worth just stick to 40 tonnes

Anybody know if volvo will fit the batteries on the back of the chassis on a tag axle like they do with a mid lift ? You can have bigger diesel tanks then, theres not much room with the ad blue tank and the batteries on the side, especially if you want a p.t.o tank as well. I know firms like sb components will do it but it is easier and cheaper with a factory fitted job.