tag axle

excuse my ignorance but what is the pros and cons of a tag over a midlift ive never used a tag axle unit, ive always had midlifts on general haulage, is there a specific purpose or just individuals preferences

Tighter turning circle with it lifted. Other than that, I think the negatives outweigh the positives. They’re certainly a far worse ride.

I used to have a Tag Axle on a F10 hauling waste from transfer stations to Landfills. I would lift it on the landfill haul roads to get some traction but would have to be very carefull when turning because of the dips & bumps all over the place, the arse end of the tractor would wipe it’s lights & mudguards out on the bottom of the trailer. :unamused:

Pointless on general but when it comes to quarry work or sometimes farm work its best to have a tag.Better traction better turning circle

Because midlift axles unless they are second steers scrub tyres like no tomorrow,make the vehicle unstable as they fight the steering axle and increase the vehicles wheelbase length making for a large turning circle radius.

But they are cheap so thats why they are fitted but a crap idea.Thats why Europeans dont use them.You ever seen a 8 wheeler without a second steer?They do more damage to the road than a 4x2 with full load applied even if they are only running at half weight

Bking:
Because midlift axles unless they are second steers scrub tyres like no tomorrow,make the vehicle unstable as they fight the steering axle and increase the vehicles wheelbase length making for a large turning circle radius.

I have run midlift volvos for years and even at full weight dont find that tyres are srubbing like no tomorrow!
In fact i would rather have less steering joints to wear out, the shorter the wheelbase the more the midlift will fight the steering axle, tag axles are far better in a tight spot or where the ground is soft, that is why you see tags on landfill,farm work and timber haulage, mid lifts are more at home on road and do give a better ride due to the longer wheelbase

Moose:

Bking:

I have run midlift volvos for years and even at full weight dont find that tyres are srubbing like no tomorrow!
In fact i would rather have less steering joints to wear out, the shorter the wheelbase the more the midlift will fight the steering axle, tag axles are far better in a tight spot or where the ground is soft, that is why you see tags on landfill,farm work and timber haulage, mid lifts are more at home on road and do give a better ride due to the longer wheelbase

Why the hell would steering joints wear out only doing the same job as drag link and track rod ends.Never changed ball joints on a second steer and why not fit torque steer axles as used to be fitted to 6x2 Scanias.A fixed axle between the drive and steer axle is a load of crap thats why they are only used in the UK.Self centering ramps on trailer rear steers work perfectly well why not fit them to tractors instead of dragging the tyre across the road surface.Cheap rubbish.

i will take your point that a mid lift is not the best idea, but lets not pretend that europe has all good ideas having worked on some of the crap ideas that come out of europe!