Licence question

Been thinking of ways to get out of tramping, and last night me and the good lady where discussing options.
Our local bus company pay quite well, something like 28 grand a year, now I only have an HGV licence, never really fancied busses or coaches, my question is, if I was now to try and pass the bus test would I have to start from scratch as say a new driver with a provissional, or would there be some grandfather rights with things like the theory test and DCPC that new drivers have to take?
Thanks in advance
Stuart

Theory test and hazard perception would have to be done as well as practical test. DCPC would be covered by your LGV, although periodic training has to be completed by 2013 for PCV’s. You might also have to have another medical.

Have you thought about the bus company training you - some do and obviously there is no cost then. :wink:

Yeah, good luck with that. 28k?

They said that locally but we worked that out that of the 37.5 hours of duty a week we had to do 2h overtime a day, and alternately work 2 of your days off to one of your days off.

Most buses now are automatics so that makes it easier. You’d probably have to send your licence off to get the provisional for the cat D, then do your theory and you can skip the CPC as it is cross compatible with your main one. The bus company may still want you to do some part of it.

The hours are domestic not EC, unless you’re going more than 50km from base.

Any other questions? :wink: What did I miss?

You’d need to do the medical as well despite the fact you hold an LGV licence.

Hi I drove the buses as well as holding my class 1. I must be honest I hated the buses as it was all service work.you are always unser pressure to keep the schedule but never be early as I know people who were sacked for this.the breaks were awkward as its split shifts ie work 3 hours break for a hour the work 3 hours then 1.5 hour break then work for 3 hours.I rarely got the overtime to make the great money advertised.then you have people trying to spit at you ( I was issued with a spit kit lol)and that’s before the crazies want on.I was also told I had to join the union to use the onsite gym etc.I really wouldn’t recomend it bud

Good luck with the bus work if you can hack it. I seem to remember a previous thread on here where the poster said that he’d rather carry cattle, at least you can eat 'em when they [zb] in hte corner. That sums it up for me, especially in Cambridge :imp:

Okey-Didley-Dokely:
Been thinking of ways to get out of tramping, and last night me and the good lady where discussing options.
Our local bus company pay quite well, something like 28 grand a year, now I only have an HGV licence, never really fancied busses or coaches, my question is, if I was now to try and pass the bus test would I have to start from scratch as say a new driver with a provissional, or would there be some grandfather rights with things like the theory test and DCPC that new drivers have to take?
Thanks in advance
Stuart

What about waiting until the trams are finally running and drive one of those. :wink:

Now I’ve gone and done it, said the ‘T’ word to someone who lives in Edinburgh. :stuck_out_tongue: :sunglasses: