lgv pass rates

here’s probably a old one already covered somewhere before i persume but whats the anual first time pass rate in uk for last year of class 1 and 2 tests anyone any ideas

ian

They don’t do those figures. Only for ALL passes lumped together.

macplaxton:
They don’t do those figures. Only for ALL passes lumped together.

which include C1 C CE D1 D DE BE…

and they don’t state what number test it is either :exclamation:

In other words - They’re useless :slight_smile:

ROG:

:open_mouth: Blimey ROG, and there was me thinking that you like the DSA’s testing system. :grimacing: :wink:

dieseldave:

ROG:

:open_mouth: Blimey ROG, and there was me thinking that you like the DSA’s testing system. :grimacing: :wink:

Hmmm… of course I do…

The info on every type of test is available and so is how many times a candidate goes for a test so you would have thought, in this age of computers, that this info would be available - I suppose they cannot be bothered to input the data :exclamation:

ROG:
which include C1 C CE D1 D DE BE…

and they don’t state what number test it is either :exclamation:

I thought they only lump all main categories together, so that C1,C1E,C,CE is lumped together as LGV

D1,D1E,D,DE is a separate bundle - PCV.

They are of limited use, as the DSA say:

Driving Standards Agency:
Statistics Information

The practical test centre pass rate statistics are influenced by a number of factors. It is not necessarily true to say that some test centres are easier than others, as the number and ability of candidates presented for test at any one centre can make a difference statistically.

Socio-economic factors also have a significant bearing on pass rates. The wealthier the town/area, the more likely people are to invest more money in lessons and to have more opportunities for private practice (access to family vehicle(s) etc.). The age and gender of the candidates will also affect the pass rate at the test centre. In general, younger candidates have a higher pass rate, and males have a higher pass rate than females.

DSA is well aware of the variances in pass rates between test centres. We monitor them very closely and, from the ongoing quality assurance work we carry out, we have established that there are acceptable reasons for the differences. Test centres located in conurbations tend to have high throughput and lower pass rates. Those in rural areas tend to have higher pass rates but lower throughput.

When comparing pass/fail statistics, it is important to take account of the differences in location, the deprivation of the local area and the age and gender of the candidates, alongside the number of tests conducted.

Driving Standards Agency wrote:
Statistics Information

The practical test centre pass rate statistics are influenced by a number of factors. It is not necessarily true to say that some test centres are easier than others, as the number and ability of candidates presented for test at any one centre can make a difference statistically.

Socio-economic factors also have a significant bearing on pass rates. The wealthier the town/area, the more likely people are to invest more money in lessons and to have more opportunities for private practice (access to family vehicle(s) etc.). The age and gender of the candidates will also affect the pass rate at the test centre. In general, younger candidates have a higher pass rate, and males have a higher pass rate than females.

DSA is well aware of the variances in pass rates between test centres. We monitor them very closely and, from the ongoing quality assurance work we carry out, we have established that there are acceptable reasons for the differences. Test centres located in conurbations tend to have high throughput and lower pass rates. Those in rural areas tend to have higher pass rates but lower throughput.

When comparing pass/fail statistics, it is important to take account of the differences in location, the deprivation of the local area and the age and gender of the candidates, alongside the number of tests conducted.

What a load of rubbish!! Sadly the DSA really believe that is the case - it may be for car tests, where candidates tuition varies wildly with financial constraints, but most LGV/PCV courses are the same and certainly the length of courses offered at differing test centres are I suspect identical. You only have to look at the differing routes of the various test centres to realise that, that is why there are different pass rates.

For me if I was taking my tests again, Scotland is the place to go - particularly Stornoway (Lewis) 86.7%!

For me if I was taking my tests again, Scotland is the place to go - particularly Stornoway (Lewis) 86.7%!

Is that the place with ONE test route :question:

ROG:

Is that the place with ONE test route :question:

Sounds like 13 passed out of 15. Must have been a rush on.

Smart Mart:

Driving Standards Agency wrote:
Statistics Information

What a load of rubbish!! Sadly the DSA really believe that is the case - it may be for car tests, where candidates tuition varies wildly with financial constraints, but most LGV/PCV courses are the same and certainly the length of courses offered at differing test centres are I suspect identical. You only have to look at the differing routes of the various test centres to realise that, that is why there are different pass rates.

i actually joined the forum because of this post. i’ve taken my class 2, 6 times, 3 in purfleet and 3 at enfield. i accept i failed 3 of these test but the others were passes that were marked as fails. one examiner even had the cheek to wait til the end to fill out the exam sheet.
i know the whole thing is a scam to get extra revenue from retests.
i’m looking to go to lerwick, grampian or elgin to take my next test.

Hume:
one examiner even had the cheek to wait til the end to fill out the exam sheet.

A lot of examiners do that, fill out the sheet at the end of the test :wink:
I remember passing my C, we got back to the centre, he filled out the forms and just said “Im pleased to tell you, you’ve passed!” then buggered off out the cab!!!

Hi Chaps (and ladies) I recently requested under the freedom of info act details from DSA about number of HGV tests taken, catagories, passes etc.

I hope the below helps.

HGV test results (Module 3 of Driver CPC) for 2009 are listed below. This information was obtained though the freedom of information act.

Category C1 (3.5 + tonnes - 7.5 tonnes GVW) total tests taken: 3,193. Total passes 1,997. Total fails 1,196.
Category C (7.5 + tonnes - 32 tonnes GVW, class 2) total tests taken: 32,659. Total passes 16,072. Total fails 16,587.
Category C+E (articulated / draw bar vehicle) total tests taken: 14,413. Total passes 7,371. Total fails 7,042.

The figures above show a steep decline in 7.5 tonnes HGV test being taken. A reason for this may be the lowering of the age to 18 for category C and C+E. Class 2, (rigid) still proves to be the most common HGV test taken in the UK in 2009. The pass and fail rates above are based on national statistics and not by region. Pass rates will vary between HGV training schools. To be in the best possible position to pass your test it makes sense to go direct to an approved HGV training provider in your area
www.hgvlgvtraining.co.uk

here are the details for county and individual test centre.

dsbs.co.uk/driving-test-pass-rates

examiners pass students not training schools.

Hume:
here are the details for county and individual test centre.

dsbs.co.uk/driving-test-pass-rates

examiners pass students not training schools.

Not sure which year those figure are but they don’t match what the DSA publish as far as I can see

Test centre results can be found on the DSA webiste(but only in catagories)

dsa.gov.uk/AtoZservices_Bann … &TypeID=17

on the internet i can’t find a pcv\lgv trainer on the shetland isles or one willing to take me there in scotland.
i tried yell.co.uk and each one listed said they don’t do pcv’s or and can’t take me there on the ferry, even though i’'m willing to pay the extra.

does anyone know of any companies who are on the island?

p.s. how many private test centres are there. i only know of the one in mansfield. are there any others?

Hi Hume

You hit the nail bang on the head on your post of 26th Aug when you said about the differing test routes. This is beyond doubt the biggest difference between a pass or a fail.

We have a policy to accompany every candidate on test 3 onwards and afterwards I get to speak privately to the examiner. Taking a typically average candidate there is a very fine line between passing and failing.

If the test was conducted at 6am on Christmas morning 80-90% would pass. This is because there would be very little other traffic about. Logically then it is the other traffic that is the problem. Cars that don’t signal at roundabouts and the constant stream of cars trying to pass on your nearside when you are turning right at roundabouts , to name just 2 examples.

An examiner can choose whatever test route he wants. On average probably from a choice of 8 or 9, maybe more.

Our local test centres are Chelmsford and Purfleet, (the only 2 in Essex). We analyse each pass and fail both by examiner and route and test time. The examiner stats do not vary by more than 3-5% but the test route stats clearly show that a pass rate is influenced by which route is chosen.

Many will say that a driver can drive anywhere, anytime. Passing a test however is a different thing.

Regards

John