Lgv test results

The National Pass Rate for Large Goods Vehicle (LGV) tests

2001-02 = 50.28%
2002-03 = 49.44%
2003-04 = 48.8%
2004-05 = 46%
2005-06 = 45%
2006-07 = 46.2%

I am trying to find out if this is 1st time passes or overall …

Thats overall 26 , DSA don’t keep records of which number test it is.

BTW that firgure will be for C CE D DE D1 D1E and BE lumped together.

Where did you get this info?

Looks to me as there is a bit of a trend. (the pass rate is going down"

Could it be the Clearstone factor

“train in just 5 days”

Or the sterling factor train in just 4 days.

We have been training in just 5 days for 38 years. The vehicles have got bigger, the road more congested, the road layouts more complicated the test getting longer, the calibre of trainee getting worse.

Surely guys it is time to say “train in just 7 days”

Personally I think the examiners are getting very picky. Probably because they have tick sheets that they have to fill in, I would like to see them assess the drive as a whole - you hear the examiner say ‘your a good driver, its a pity I have got to fail you’. If they were a good driver they should have passed.

I have had guys that have not passed (note I didn’t use ‘fail’), and they come back a few days later with no more training and pass. In fact it could be argued that they don’t drive as well on their second test because they have had a few days of not driving.

Also if a serious could be counted as say 5 minors, it would be possible to pass with a couple of serious’ and a few minors. Dangerous of course would always result in a fail.

A few years ago I got the pass rates by test centre - that made very interesting reading. One scotish test centre had just over 80% pass rate and I think it was Purfleet that was around 30%. Can’t be that much difference in drivers!

I looked at test routes for Steetley (I think) - some only have about 12 juctions to deal with, whereas in Peterborough there are twice as many! So lots more chances to fail.

I think the main problem is We train them then a STRANGER ( Examiner ) gets in to conduct the test.

Consistancy is a problem on tests as many examiners have … shall we say their pet areas …

For example if a certain examiner walks in and he is going to test your learner you may find the instructor saying to his learner …Watch your near side mirror hes hot on that…

OR

SH** you have got G***** L****** MAKE SURE YOU USE THE RETARDER / EXHAUST BRAKE

Even to the extent of trying to find out which examiner they have as some examiners expect differant things done during the test…

Sad and wrong but facts

burnie1:
the calibre of trainee getting worse.

This is a point that I have also noticed. The driving manner and style of those who have done C and are going for CE is far above that of those who come from B to do C - I’m not talking about the fact that they are lorry drivers now going for a bigger lorry - I’m talking obut the the ‘THINKING’ aspect of the driving.

burnie1:

“train in just 5 days”

We have been training in just 5 days for 38 years. The vehicles have got bigger, the road more congested, the road layouts more complicated the test getting longer, the calibre of trainee getting worse.

The info comes from the Dsa you have to mail them to get this sort of information as they do not publish it

You try and tell people we only do a 7 day course you will soon have no work…

Sterling / Qualitas use smaller vehicles thats how they get results in 4 days… depending on the instructor of course…but if a learner fails sterling / qualitas do not seem to care … i think the office rub their hands as some retest fees are horrendous. ( the instructors care as they are the front line well the ones i know do)

ROG:

burnie1:
the calibre of trainee getting worse.

This is a point that I have also noticed. The driving manner and style of those who have done C and are going for CE is far above that of those who come from B to do C - I’m not talking about the fact that they are lorry drivers now going for a bigger lorry - I’m talking obut the the ‘THINKING’ aspect of the driving.

I speak as one of those who will be making the jump from C to CE later this year. I do feel that passing an LGV test has certainly sharpened up my driving quite a bit. Since passing, I feel I NOTICE much more happening on the road as opposed to doing any extra THINKING.

Still, even with this you still get CE test failures. Are examiners perhaps fussier when it comes to trailer tests in general?

burnie1:

“train in just 5 days”

For Example

Pass Rates at Peterborough Driving Test Centre
…Year …Car Bike …LGV …PCV
2004-2005…N/A N/A…39.1…36.2
2005-2006…N/A N/A…39.75…38.74

All Test stations figures can be found by clicking on the A-Z Town List within this link.

http://www.dsa.gov.uk/AtoZservices_Bannered.asp?letter=A&CAT=-1&s=&TypeID=17&TestType=voc

Statistics Information

The practical test centre pass rate statistics are influenced by a number of factors. It is not necessarily true to say that some test centres are easier than others, as the number and ability of candidates presented for test at any one centre can make a difference statistically.

Socio-economic factors also have a significant bearing on pass rates. The wealthier the town/area, the more likely people are to invest more money in lessons and to have more opportunities for private practice (access to family vehicle(s) etc.). The age and gender of the candidates will also affect the pass rate at the test centre. In general, younger candidates have a higher pass rate, and males have a higher pass rate than females.

DSA is well aware of the variances in pass rates between test centres. We monitor them very closely and, from the ongoing quality assurance work we carry out, we have established that there are acceptable reasons for the differences. Test centres located in conurbations tend to have high throughput and lower pass rates. Those in rural areas tend to have higher pass rates but lower throughput.

When comparing pass/fail statistics, it is important to take account of the differences in location, the deprivation of the local area and the age and gender of the candidates, alongside the number of tests conducted.

The quote above on statistical information is actually with regard to cars. The DSA have no excuse for differing pass rates for vocational tests, particularly as we all offer around the same amount of training countrywide.

I spoke to Rosemary Thew (CEO of the DSA) about the variation and in particular the variation between examiners - i.e. their particular likes and dislikes, she was surprised that there was a difference between them as they all had ‘the same training’! There was an instructor from the London area who backed me up in my observations. She did say that she would look into it!

Wrexham LGV
Driving Test Centre

Year 2004-2005

31.5 LGV
22.4 PCV

Year 2005-2006

34.30 LGV
31.37 PCV

We must have either a lot of bad or very nervous drivers around here! Bloody glad I didnt read that before my test :open_mouth: