Legal or not

Good morning,

I am looking for peoples opinions on driving a vehicles which has had an air brake pipe replaced with a hydraulic hose.

thanks in advance

Morning Ryan.

Do you know the pressure that hydraulics operate at compared to the air system on a truck?
Was it a temporary repair to get the vehicle home?
Have you asked / told your boss of your concern?

H.

Hydraulic hoses would allow much greater pressure than air hoses

Thanks for the reply H,

The hydraulics run at up to 250psi, the brakes at about 100-120psi,I haven’t been able to raise the issue with my boss as I only found out last night that I am meant to be taking this truck on Monday. As with previous issues my boss will only see me as a trouble maker as the other guys I work with regularly flout laws and company policy.

ryancottrell:
As with previous issues my boss will only see me as a trouble maker as the other guys I work with regularly flout laws and company policy.

Time to get your walking boots out Ryan. Do not demean yourself by working for such an outfit. You work to put bread on the table, not to end up viewing life through a stripey window!

Sounds to me like alternative employment could be the way forward.

Which brake pipe exactly?

How has your attention been drawn to it being an hydraulic hose, is it new hose or old hose being re-used?

How is it fixed on, is it proper crimped swaging?

m1cks:
Hydraulic hoses would allow much greater pressure than air hoses

There is plenty of multi-use hose on the market for hydraulic, water or air use and also approved for vehicle air brake systems.

I’m reserving judgment until there’s more information as to whether he’s read it off the print on a brand new bit of hose whilst doing daily checks or whether they bodged on some bit of random old used hose.

It was a brand new hose fitted by a national hose company after our repair garage couldn’t get the correct manufacture part to fit correctly

Its the pipe that attaches to the o/s/f caliper

All good, crack on. :wink:

It will. most likely, be a properly crimped on fitting if it was done on a hose van, much safer.

Thank you for your input guys

ryancottrell:
Thanks for the reply H,

The hydraulics run at up to 250psi, the brakes at about 100-120psi,I haven’t been able to raise the issue with my boss as I only found out last night that I am meant to be taking this truck on Monday. As with previous issues my boss will only see me as a trouble maker as the other guys I work with regularly flout laws and company policy.

hydraulics run at about 2500 psi give or take, air breaks run up to 150 psi if it was made up by one of the national hydraulic companies, it would legal as they would not make a pipe that was illegal to use, as they would be liable.

OSF will be a flexi hose anyway and as long as it doesn’t kink on full lock then all good to go.

The pressure will be fine but hydraulic hoses are not usually as flexible as air brake hoses.

H.

most of the hose companies make air pipes as well as hydraulics ffs

I’m guessing the national company is pirtek. Hydraulic hose with correctly swaged fitting is perfectly okay to use for brake hoses but NOT for replacing main compressor pipes.

the maoster:

ryancottrell:
As with previous issues my boss will only see me as a trouble maker as the other guys I work with regularly flout laws and company policy.

Time to get your walking boots out Ryan. Do not demean yourself by working for such an outfit. You work to put bread on the table, not to end up viewing life through a stripey window!

Bit of an over reaction, especially if the job pays good, the OP doesn’t sound like he is doing the same as the other drivers, so would never end up behind bars.