A few numpty questions

Posted here to help me and other newbies… :smiley:

1. Where do you go to put air in truck tyres? Is it possible to use standard car pressure gauges on garage forecourts?

2. Is there a rule of thumb for air pressure in tyres if its not known how much to put in? :confused:

3. When is a defect not a defect, e.g. curtain tensioner broken, windscreen washer not working correctly.

4. How long should a driver keep making a note of a defect?

5. The truck I drive currently has a split/cracked exhaust manifold. Should it be driven? :open_mouth: :frowning:

Your comments, as always very welcome. Thank you
Apologies if already asked, I did do a search on tyre pressures before posting, with not much success.

Stu

A few numpty questions…

no such thing as numpty questions - may get numpty answers though…

teatree:

1. Where do you go to put air in truck tyres? Is it possible to use standard car pressure gauges on garage forecourts?

2. Is there a rule of thumb for air pressure in tyres if its not known how much to put in?

3. When is a defect not a defect, e.g. curtain tensioner broken, windscreen washer not working correctly.

4. How long should a driver keep making a note of a defect?

5. The truck I drive currently has a split/cracked exhaust manifold. Should it be driven?

1 - services, truck stops or heavy commercial garages - car ones are not sufficient
2 - nope - see manfctr guide or if in doubt give a commercial tyre fitter company a call
3 - SAFETY is the key question with legality a close second - one curtain tensioner broken but not extending from the vehicle so as to hit anything would be ok but windscreen washer not working correctly is a safety and a legal issue.
Generally, everything that is fitted on the the vehicle should be in good working order.
4 - if not a safety or legal issue then as long as it takes to get it fixed - the onus is then on the boss/TC
If it is a safety or legal issue then the truck don’t go nowhere.
5 - is there a leak or excess noise from it?
The problem could get worse when away from base and that might cost the company a lot more so use the financial issue to get it fixed asap - bosses don’t like potential loss of vehicle earning due to breakdowns :wink: :bulb:

Usally written on the tyre itslef mate in PSI, however if the pump u go to is in “BAR” its roughly 15psi = to 1 BAR… Always worth remembering :slight_smile:

Thanks for the replies ROG and FarnboroughBoy11, information noted. I’ll keep defecting the defects! :smiley:

Exhaust manifold has been mended, quickest one to be fixed so far, only 11 hours.

Stu