anyone know ??

anyone know what size air compressor i would need to inflate 295/80/22.5 tyres from flat. airtank size ? minimum psi ? etc any info greatly received.
looking to buy a air compressor to run air tools but would also be able to have enough power to inflate truck tyres, looking for petrol driven one, any recomendations looking to buy second hand.
I know its not rely the right place to ask this but someone on here may know.
thanks
john

As long as it put out at least 130psi you’ll be able to put your tyres up from flat, the compressor size will just affect how quickly it can do it. The air tank size isn’t really relevant when it comes to pumping up tyres, it’s more there so you can use air hungry power tools (like windy guns) that use air a lot faster than your compressor can make it. Obviously in that case the bigger the tank the longer you will be able to run the tools for before you have to stop and let the compressor catch up.

Paul

I wouldn’t get petrol driven if avoidable.

You need 9 ideally 10 bar compressor for truck tyres.

Own Account Driver:

cant avoid I have to get petrol as i have no electric in the yard but there is petrol ones that puts out over 10 bar quite expensive though. So 10 bar would be ok even if it had say a 50 ltr tank ■■?

john

repton:
As long as it put out at least 130psi you’ll be able to put your tyres up from flat,
Paul

would it have to be as high as that 130psi ■■

john

busy fool:

Own Account Driver:

cant avoid I have to get petrol as i have no electric in the yard but there is petrol ones that puts out over 10 bar quite expensive though. So 10 bar would be ok even if it had say a 50 ltr tank ■■?

john

Yep 50 ltr receiver tank will be enough and will be ok with a 1" impact wrench for occasional use as well.

Would look at prices for electric compressor and separate generator as well though.

If it’s mainly to be used doing tyres I’d just run a line off the truck’s tanks.

[/quote]
Yep 50 ltr receiver tank will be enough and will be ok with a 1" impact wrench for occasional use as well.

Would look at prices for electric compressor and separate generator as well though.

If it’s mainly to be used doing tyres I’d just run a line off the truck’s tanks.
[/quote]
did read somewhere that its not adviseable to run a air compressor off a generator ?

john

busy fool:
anyone know what size air compressor i would need to inflate 295/80/22.5 tyres from flat. airtank size ? minimum psi ? etc any info greatly received.
looking to buy a air compressor to run air tools but would also be able to have enough power to inflate truck tyres, looking for petrol driven one, any recomendations looking to buy second hand.
I know its not rely the right place to ask this but someone on here may know.
thanks
john

i use a petrol compressor which is honda powered its got a 200 litre tank and is 9 hp, which gives an output of 25-29 cfm, it’s well on top of the job for 1 inch drive windy guns and truck tyres, as another option i have made up an airline that plugs into the red line on a unit and if you set the revs to around 1200 rpm on a volvo unit you have enough air for the same inch drive air gun and can also stick 120 psi into a tyre no problem!
the first option cost around £1200 , the second option cost around £35 !!
moose

second option looking more tempting by the minuet :smiley: :smiley:

john

Running a compressor off a genny would be a big load particularly when it starts up to take the receiver back up to pressure so would probably need to be a good spec one.

One of these at £50-ish will do the tyres off either a car battery or one cell on the wagon:
ebay.co.uk/itm/T-Max-12v-Por … 4151c59ee9

As mentioned you’re best off utilising what you’ve got. A trucks got a load of receiver tanks you could use the 12v compressor above to fill those (recommend thru a non-return valve) and then run air tools of the tanks.

You can run off the red-susie or if it’s rigids the test-point. I’ve recently uploaded photos of all the bits you need to make up the kit towards the end of this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87976

busy fool:

Well you’re going to want at least 120psi in your steer axle and trailer tyres and you want a bit of a margin or the air will flow from the compressor into your tyre at such a slow rate that you’ll die of old age before you get the tyre up to pressure…

As has been said further up the thread something that connects to your red air line is going to be by far the cheapest option as you’re using the 400+HP air compressor you already own…

Paul

repton:

busy fool:

Well you’re going to want at least 120psi in your steer axle and trailer tyres and you want a bit of a margin or the air will flow from the compressor into your tyre at such a slow rate that you’ll die of old age before you get the tyre up to pressure…

As has been said further up the thread something that connects to your red air line is going to be by far the cheapest option as you’re using the 400+HP air compressor you already own…

Paul

Good point

Surely instead of all this messing with red line adapters, test point couplings etc. It must be easy to fit a female PCL (sometimes wrongly referred to as bayonet fitting) to the existing pipework where there is either a blank or replace an elbow with a T.

Driveroneuk:
Surely instead of all this messing with red line adapters, test point couplings etc. It must be easy to fit a female PCL (sometimes wrongly referred to as bayonet fitting) to the existing pipework where there is either a blank or replace an elbow with a T.

Even genuine PCL don’t fare well in exterior conditions. You could put it in a sidelocker but you’d have to plumb to it and I’d still put a tap in as well as, like in the workshop, you can disconnect from it and find it leaks air. There doesn’t seem much point when there’s a good durable female air connection permanently fitted to the red susie. You could just screw a 1/2 bsp version of your picture straight on to a male C coupling and away you’d go with a couple of extra metres extension from the red susie.

Bargain!!!

ebay.co.uk/itm/AIR-COMPRESSO … 2573338493

Own Account Driver:
Even genuine PCL don’t fare well in exterior conditions. You could put it in a sidelocker but you’d have to plumb to it and I’d still put a tap in as well as, like in the workshop, you can disconnect from it and find it leaks air. There doesn’t seem much point when there’s a good durable female air connection permanently fitted to the red susie. You could just screw a 1/2 bsp version of your picture straight on to a male C coupling and away you’d go with a couple of extra metres extension from the red susie.

I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said there, but I think a permanently plumbed in pcl, in an easily accessible relatively weather proof location would be easier to use.
I do agree about it needing a tap behind it to be sure.

Driveroneuk:
Bargain!!!

ebay.co.uk/itm/AIR-COMPRESSO … 2573338493

If that only lasted 2 or 3 years it would still be a bargain against an Abac or Hydrovane.

Never ceases to amaze just how cheap some of this stuff is. It’s often never the best or good quality but also by that token it’s not total junk either.

PSI doesn’t inflate tyres, you need CFM to do that.

Wheel Nut:
PSI doesn’t inflate tyres, you need CFM to do that.

quite right! realy you need the larger size pcl with a decent bore airline which when connected to the red susie will be ok for tyres and more suitable for running an inch drive air gun
Pcl fittings soon get clogged with road dirt when outside so an adaptor for the red airline is the way to go and forget the tap! keep it simple so there is less to go wrong

busy fool:
anyone know what size air compressor i would need to inflate 295/80/22.5 tyres from flat. airtank size ?

Fricking BIG