Left hand drive

taking a left ■■■■■■ out tomorrow for the first time,which schould be fun. :exclamation:
i have driven 3 different LHD cars before with no probs so i hope this will be a cake walk too :stuck_out_tongue:
any one else drive left hookers around the uk :question:
jon

first time i drove a left hook was from bournemouth to plymouth for GBE,advice from driver was keep close to hedges/kerb,and white line in near side/offside mirror.
saying that it didn’t stop me turning all the mirrors on the cars parked on blind side of estate road on the way out.as for reversing pray you have room do do what we know has blind side but normal to left hooks

best of luck ans have fun?

Be prepared for some weird effects. It will feel as if you are in danger of going into the ditch but you will actually be in the middle of the road. even if you can reverse normally you brain will usually go into right hand mode for a bit and you will prob have a dozen shunts! You really should have training first though as its not really safe. be prepared to have a tension headache by the end of your shift!!!

Its a steep learning curve :smiley: . The funny thing was that when I worked abroad I had no trouble with the trucks but when I tried to drive a car I was all at sea.

many years ago whilst on agency i had a left ghooker for MJL
now i prefer RHD no matter what side of the road of drive

Just to drive both LHD and RHD and found left hookers better for gear changing as I am right handed.

Just keep to the kerbs and hedges - the 1st roundabout is weird.

Left hookers are easier to drive abroad. I don`t know if you have noticed but all trucks are designed for LHD. You find that all the gears that require more pressure to find are closest to you & all the ones that slip in easy are away from you. This saves a lot of back ache. Whereas RHD is the opposite.

when i used to get back into my car after spending three/four weeks out in my lhd i used to mount the kerb everytime leaving the yard. lol

harry:
Left hookers are easier to drive abroad.

Pretty obvious that i would have thought :unamused:

:smiley: You’ll really notice it, when you have to go through some tight (width) traffic lights or similar and has been said, to start with you’ll be miles away from the nearside kerb. You will have to concentrate on what you’re doing a lot more than usual, that may sound weird but you’ll soon see what I mean.
Just noticed you posted yesterday :blush: so do tell how you got on. :smiley:

Robbies Dad. I had one mate who drove a LHD on solely UK work. It was a long nose Volvo. He said it was better than RHD. Another O/D guy used to do Tehran with a RHD Scania. He said it was safer in accidents.

I bet when you get back in your car you punch the door when you change gear :blush: :blush:
I found reversing with your mirrors best stick your head out and look behind and you end up turning the opposite way.

well did it ok :smiley: but it does feel weid forcing yourself to drive close to the kerb,still found myself wondering out if i did not concetrate .
as for the gear changing that was really easy… :open_mouth: :wink:

2 words

i shift :grimacing: :laughing:

going to hull in a rhd tomorrow :cry:

jon

Antony:
I bet when you get back in your car you punch the door when you change gear :blush: :blush:
I found reversing with your mirrors best stick your head out and look behind and you end up turning the opposite way.

no,but the wife tryed to change gear in a lhd car in the door well :laughing:

mark croft:
first time i drove a left hook was from bournemouth to plymouth for GBE,advice from driver was keep close to hedges/kerb,and white line in near side/offside mirror.
saying that it didn’t stop me turning all the mirrors on the cars parked on blind side of estate road on the way out.as for reversing pray you have room do do what we know has blind side but normal to left hooks

best of luck ans have fun?

cheers mark i did have fun

the reversing ws the hardest i asked the warehouse guy for a easy bay as i was new to LHD :unamused: well if you dont sk you dont get :smiley: easy bay 1 shunt,job done :sunglasses:
jon

Well done JB…just keep it tight to the curb…dont move your head to the right when those lamp posts and telephone poles jump out at ya :laughing: …and keep watching those n/s mirrors…especially approaching and on the roundabouts…dont forget to use all the road at weird angled road junctions…to get a clear field of vision…if you forget …its a nightmare…cos you cant see a bloody thing…and dont forget the overtaking as well…let someone pass you…then pull out in the space to have a look…

truckyboy:
dont move your head to the right when those lamp posts and telephone poles jump out at ya :laughing:

yes i have to admit i did that :laughing: you think you are going to hit you when really your miles away :blush: :laughing:
jon

Everyone has missed the most important point, about keeping a set of gloves in the footwell, so you dont look such an idiot when you try to get in the wrong side :smiley:

A good tip came from my mate who drove a road sweeper, he had a choice of which side to sit at and he always used his knee as a guide along the white line and the edge of the screen :stuck_out_tongue:

harry:
He said it was safer in accidents.

That makes a lot of sense as the majority of accidents are off side to off side in this country.

Has anyone driver a Scarnia P cab LHD i just wondered if there was an a mazing amount of leg room compared to the tat RHD i had to drive once upon a time.