Left Hooker for 1st time?

Just wondering if anyone has had the same problem?
Driven right hand drive motors all over Europe for years and driven left hand drive cars in europe as well - all no problem!
First time out in a left ■■■■■■ in UK last week and I was on the white line and studs more often than not and drifting into the centre lane so much the cars behind must have thought I was a German driver seeing as I was driving a German registered motor!
Strange thing was I did not drift into the hard shoulder and the more I tried to correct and concentrate the worse it got!
Then when I got into Cardiff - well that was interesting as well!
Anyone had the same problems and if so do you know why? :question:

We all get that prob. first time.Use your mirrors to check your position on the road, reversing can make your head spin. The fun starts when you get off that boat on the other side.

i blame the government.
we won the war. so european vehicles should be right hand drive.

The key with left hookers is to make sure your mirrors are set up perfect.

My first trip out in a left ■■■■■■ was a traction job from Ramsgate Docks to the I.O.W. Bumped the offside wheel up every kerb on every central island on the road out of the docks to the tunnel at Ramsgate. Clobbered a couple going through Hindhead as well!

Soon got used to it. In fact had the opposite problem about a year later. My regular truck was in for a service so had to take a RHD down to Frankfurt. Stuffed the nearside mirror into just about every roadside bush on the short drive to Dover from the yard!

You’ll be the world’s expert in blindside reversing in no time at all!

one of the biggest problems i had , and i aint driven a lefty for years , was getting on the motorway . you can mostly manage the blind side reverse but motorways were a different matter the best way i found was to keep to the right of the slip road and try to run along the give way line as much as you can that way you have a better view in your mirrors . of course you cant always do that but you,ll get it sooner than you think . id only had my licence a few days and was thrown the keys to my gaffers F89 and i managed sort of … :blush: some hairy moments i remember but i managed .

city centres were an adventure too … blimey :open_mouth:

I had the same problem with LHD trucks. Like you I’d driven RHD trucks and quite a few LHD cars over the years.
The things about truck they are so wide it involves a lot of spacial awareness to know about thier road position.

The first thing I did was find a marker point on the right hand side of the window that related to the right hand side of the road and also plenty of looks in the mirrors to make sure it was in between the white lines, it was very similar as to when I first started driving trucks. I eventually got used to it, but got to say I still find it easier to drive a RHD truck especially reversing, sticking my head out of the left hand side still feels weird. :laughing:

The only other tip I can think off, when on smaller roads (like B roads) in the UK if you don’t think you are driving in the hedge you are probably to far over to the right.

bowser:
but motorways were a different matter the best way i found was to keep to the right of the slip road and try to run along the give way line as much as you can that way you have a better view in your mirrors .

I’ve now take a RHD truck to Europe and have to do similar things, you really have to think about your road positioning at junctions to give you the best view.

muckles:

bowser:
but motorways were a different matter the best way i found was to keep to the right of the slip road and try to run along the give way line as much as you can that way you have a better view in your mirrors .

I’ve now take a RHD truck to Europe and have to do similar things, you really have to think about your road positioning at junctions to give you the best view.

never done euro but i imagine id prefer a lefty if i did . i watch lukes vids and the whole thing looks wierd … :open_mouth:

Boss said when ordering my new truck, “As you spend most of your time over the water do you want a LHD” I said “No thanks have had both in the past on both sides of the pond and much prefer RHD it is what i feel comfortable in, plus it is easier for you to find another driver when i am off”. He said “That’s why you are getting a new motor because you think of me and the company” I replied “You can’t do to much for a good boss.” I then walked across the yard and felt every one of those knives enter my back from the other driver’s.

thetourist:
Boss said when ordering my new truck, “As you spend most of your time over the water do you want a LHD” I said “No thanks have had both in the past on both sides of the pond and much prefer RHD it is what i feel comfortable in, plus it is easier for you to find another driver when i am off”. He said “That’s why you are getting a new motor because you think of me and the company” I replied “You can’t do to much for a good boss.” I then walked across the yard and felt every one of those knives enter my back from the other driver’s.

you deserved it though lets be fair … :smiling_imp:

niteliner:
Anyone had the same problems and if so do you know why? :question:

Yes, when I first bought my GMC pick-up; the journey back from Whitchurch to Carmarthen caused the death of two traffic bollards! :blush:

It’s to do with something in your sub-conscious brain which tells you that you’re sitting too far to the left and therefore you automatically compensate. Think about it, you’ve been driving on one side of the cab for so many years and your brain gets used to a particular line of sight.

Once you’ve done it a few times you get used to it, same as you do driving a right-■■■■■■ in Europe.

Thanks for all the comments guys.
At least I now know its not just me :laughing:

limeyphil:
i blame the government.

Europe and America did it for revenge :laughing: Most of Africa, Asia, Australia, NZ drive on the left (the correct way). Driving on the left orriginates from horse mounted knights of old who’s right had was considered their sword hand, riders would keep left when meeting another rider travelling in the other direction, they would raise their right hand to their head to show the were not holding a sword or weapon of any type … in other words a ‘Salute’ this in turn carried n untill cars appeared on the roads and thats is how driving on the peft came about.

When you get used to your LHD, you will have probs at home driving your car, your brain is telling you to keep left as much as you can and you end up kerbing your wheels, my Mrs wouldnt get in the car with me at weekends. (so it did have it,s advantages :laughing: )

Pat Hasler:

limeyphil:
i blame the government.

Europe and America did it for revenge :laughing: Most of Africa, Asia, Australia, NZ drive on the left (the correct way). Driving on the left orriginates from horse mounted knights of old who’s right had was considered their sword hand, riders would keep left when meeting another rider travelling in the other direction, they would raise their right hand to their head to show the were not holding a sword or weapon of any type … in other words a ‘Salute’ this in turn carried n untill cars appeared on the roads and thats is how driving on the peft came about.

So I guess all those French and German knights were lefties then:)

Seven hundred years ago everybody used the English system, and if distressing numbers of foreigners have proven fickle in the centuries since, that’s no reason to dump on the Brits.

In the Middle Ages you kept to the left for the simple reason that you never knew who you’d meet on the road in those days. You wanted to make sure that a stranger passed on the right so you could go for your sword in case he proved unfriendly.

This custom was given official sanction in 1300 AD, when Pope Boniface VIII invented the modern science of traffic control by declaring that pilgrims headed to Rome should keep left.

The papal system prevailed until the late 1700s, when teamsters in the United States and France began hauling farm products in big wagons pulled by several pairs of horses [or more likely - bullocks]. These wagons had no driver’s seat. Instead the driver sat on the left rear horse, so he could keep his right arm free to lash the team. Since you were sitting on the left, naturally you wanted everybody to pass on the left so you could look down and make sure you kept clear of the other guy’s wheels. Ergo, you kept to the right side of the road. The first known keep-right law in the U.S. was enacted in Pennsylvania in 1792, and in the ensuing years many states and Canadian provinces followed suit.

In France the keep-right custom was established in much the same way. An added impetus was that, this being the era of the French Revolution and all, people figured, hey, no pope gonna tell ME what to do. (See above.) Later Napoleon enforced the keep-right rule in all countries occupied by his armies. The custom endured even after the empire was destroyed.

In small-is-beautiful England, though, they didn’t use monster wagons that required the driver to ride a horse. Instead the guy sat on a seat mounted on the wagon. What’s more, he usually sat on the right side of the seat so the whip wouldn’t hang up on the load behind him when he flogged the horses. (Then as now, most people did their flogging right-handed.) So the English continued to drive on the left, not realizing that the tide of history was running against them and they would wind up being ridiculed by folks like you with no appreciation of life’s little ironies. Keeping left first entered English law in 1756, with the enactment of an ordinance governing traffic on the London Bridge, and ultimately became the rule throughout the British Empire.

The trend among nations over the years has been toward driving on the right, but Britain has done its best to stave off global homogenization. Its former colony India remains a hotbed of leftist sentiment, as does Indonesia, which was occupied by the British in the early 19th century. The English minister to Japan achieved the coup of his career in 1859 when he persuaded his hosts to make keep-left the law in the future home of Toyota and Mitsubishi.

Nonetheless, the power of the right has been growing steadily. When Germany annexed Austria in 1938, it brutally suppressed the latter’s keep-left rights, and much the same happened in Czechoslovakia in 1939. The last holdouts in mainland Europe, the Swedes, finally switched to the right in 1967 because most of the countries they sold Saabs and Volvos to were righties and they got tired of having to make different versions for domestic use and export.

The current battleground is the island of Timor. The Indonesians, who own west Timor, have been whiling away the hours exterminating the native culture of the east Timorese. The issue? Some say it’s religion, some say it’s language, but I know the truth: in east Timor they drive on the right, in west Timor they drive on the left.

– Cecil Adams

Find a quiet road, and park the truck in the road, but not at the kerbside, park it in the position on the road you would normally be in when driving, i.e a few feet away from the kerb.

Then get in the driver’s seat and place a sticker on the bottom of the windscreen ( in my day I used a Green Shield Stamp, which shows how old I am :wink: ) in a direct line between your eyes and the kerb.

Job’s a good 'un!

I heard they’re doing a trial in the RoI next year for running on the right-hand side of the road. The 6 month trial will involve HGVs and coaches only running on the right to see if it works :laughing:

First time I was asked to to nip out in one while mine was in for service the TM a very experienced old hand told me to “line your left knee up with the kerb and you’ll be right” :open_mouth:

Spot on, worked a treat :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: .

Give me a left ■■■■■■ any day of the week :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Harry Monk:
Find a quiet road, and park the truck in the road, but not at the kerbside, park it in the position on the road you would normally be in when driving, i.e a few feet away from the kerb.

Then get in the driver’s seat and place a sticker on the bottom of the windscreen ( in my day I used a Green Shield Stamp, which shows how old I am :wink: ) in a direct line between your eyes and the kerb.

Job’s a good 'un!

Thats exactly what I did but with the tax disc :sunglasses: :sunglasses: