Left Hand Drive...

Hi,sorry if this seems daft,
but has anyone got any tips on driving a left hand truck.
I have been told iv got one next week. I have never been in one never mind driven one.
I dont think it will be to difficult to get used to,but im more concerned about reversing.someone has left and thats why
im getting this truck.
Iwill be in europe most of the time…

Thank for any tips on this…

stevie p:
Hi,sorry if this seems daft,
but has anyone got any tips on driving a left hand truck.
I have been told iv got one next week. I have never been in one never mind driven one.
I dont think it will be to difficult to get used to,but im more concerned about reversing.someone has left and thats why
im getting this truck.
Iwill be in europe most of the time…

Thank for any tips on this…

No magic tips from me Im afraid. Just takes time. Obviously slowly thro the peages, and dont use the 30kph ones so youll not be tempted to go too quick. Reversing: remember to try and set yourself up on the other side. (so you come in on the drivers side). Most but not all bays are set up for this. When you get a little relaxed you may try to open the door rather than change gear, dont worry, itll happen. Youll find a LHD more comfortable in Eu after a while, but, don`t rush it.
Oh, one little tip, put a small item on the passenger seat: when in a busy parking area you can retrieve this rather than look a fool for climbing up the side without the steering wheel … been there… got that problem with RHDs now.

It takes time…

So take your time. You’ll be surprised just how the angles seem different.

You will…get in the wrong side.

You will… set up for a good side reverse which will be worse than useless for a left ■■■■■■.

You will… struggle like hell on UK roundabouts.

You will…feel well smug when you’ve mastered it.

Most difficult thing I found was in judging the distance from the nearside kerb when driving in the UK, a sticker in the windscreen (I used a Green Shield stamp, which shows how long ago it was for me) helps.

Second piece of advice… keep a pair of gloves in the footwell inside the right hand door, then when you accidentally try to get in the wrong side after a break (and you WILL do this) then you can just grab the gloves, put them on, and then faff around a bit with the trailer so it looks like that’s what you meant to do instead of looking like a complete lemon. :wink:

Agree with what’s been said, just take it easy and use alot more forward planning when in the uk. Don’t go rushing up to roundabouts as you will caught out and be the ■■■■ everyone loves that just has to edge out into the traffic blindside!

Reversing should come quickly and just remember a Lhd truck is no wider then any other truck. Take it easy onto the train and through tolls. Once you’re comfortable with it you’ll never want to get into a rhd vehicle. Left hand drive vehicles seem more natural to drive.

Only having driven a left ■■■■■■ a handful of times and only in the UK, I have found that awkward roundabouts can feel entirely impossible, just be patient and don’t push out. You will get out eventually.
Keep your window open if the weather permits, so you can glance out occasionally to check your distance from the kerb.
It will feel a mile wide the first time you drive through a village.
Reversing is much the same, although I did have a habit of trying to look over my right shoulder, but hey gave me a chance to make sure I’d remembered to make my bed!
If you’re driving a manual, do your best to avoid looking at the ■■■■ thing, yes it is the wrong hand but trust me you don’t need to stare it.

Most of all, just relax. Yes you will make it look hard for a little while but everyday is a school day in this job.

I was shown how to drive a LHD by Plambert. It was weird for about half an hour, but you soon adjust! :wink:

In the uk line the kerb up with your left knee,in Europe it’s the white line and yes I still investigate the passenger seat occasionally :blush:

stay back at roundabouts and you will see the traffic aproaching a lot better - but you have to be good at picking the gap to get out . Be prepared to hear lots of horns :arrow_right: :arrow_right: :arrow_right:

When you are driving it in UK, as said, put a marker on your windscreen in line with nearside kerb.
(Also watch for vehicles parked on off side of road on single track roads, and keep your o/s mirror :bulb: )

However when you do get used to hugging the kerb as second nature, you will take it with you at weekends driving your car, and will catch the kerb and mark your wheels. :bulb:
I thought it was just me at first, but a lot of lads on left hookers have said the same to me.
My Mrs was a nervous wreck with me in the car :smiley: … but I admit I did play on it a bit, as I hate driving on my days off, and she readily volunteered. :smiley:

Thanks for all your advice ,im sure i will get hang of it…
Whats calais like at the moment on return to uk ? not been on european for a couple of years…
Thanks…

Harry Monk:
Second piece of advice… keep a pair of gloves in the footwell inside the right hand door, then when you accidentally try to get in the wrong side after a break (and you WILL do this) then you can just grab the gloves, put them on, and then faff around a bit with the trailer so it looks like that’s what you meant to do instead of looking like a complete lemon. :wink:

On such occasions I used to clamber in regardless, shimmy across to the drivers seat, and drive off, amid the confused glances of other drivers. Car drivers and pedestrians ■■■■ them self’s, as it looks like the truck has no driver… :grimacing:

Like has been said before, take is easy.

Worst/easiest places for a mistake is joining from a side road or parking place and getting the correct side of the road…

My biggest challenge now is driving in the UK, even got in my UK car the wrong side recently!

Paul

the nodding donkey:

Harry Monk:

On such occasions I used to clamber in regardless, shimmy across to the drivers seat, and drive off, amid the confused glances of other drivers. Car drivers and pedestrians [zb] them self’s, as it looks like the truck has no driver… :grimacing:

I also used to keep a spare pair of gloves on pass seat to make it look like I intended to get in, it saved me looking a complete knob. :smiley:

robroy:
it saved me looking a complete knob. :smiley:

Evil8Beezle:

robroy:
it saved me looking a complete knob. :smiley:

Ouch ! :smiling_imp:

You can rely on me mate! :wink:

robroy:

the nodding donkey:

Harry Monk:

On such occasions I used to clamber in regardless, shimmy across to the drivers seat, and drive off, amid the confused glances of other drivers. Car drivers and pedestrians [zb] them self’s, as it looks like the truck has no driver… :grimacing:

I also used to keep a spare pair of gloves on pass seat to make it look like I intended to get in, it saved me looking a complete knob. :smiley:

When I was working at Mildenhall, I sometimes did deliveries round the base in a car, did a delivery to one of the units there and lept back in the car, took a couple seconds to realise something was wrong, that right no steering wheels in front of me, :blush: all I could do was get out, take the ■■■■ our of my obvious mistake :laughing: and walk round and get in the left hand side, much to the amusement of the US serviceman who’d just signed for the parcel. :laughing:

If driving a left ■■■■■■ in the the UK, buy a medical students teaching aid skeleton from an antique shop.
Place in the passengers seat while driving, when it is dark, oncoming drivers will be hallucinating the Grim Reaper .