learner driving

i quick question i have provisional c+e on my licence n i was wondering if it was possible to put L plates on company vehicles and drive with another driver? does this make sense?

Yes. Makes loads of sense. Provided that the other driver has held his CE for at least 3 years and the company agrees and the insurance is in order.
Note that if you are taking a CE test at some point, and presumably you are, you must hold a full Cat C first. You probably do - but just in case.
Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

jimmypk:
i quick question i have provisional c+e on my licence n i was wondering if it was possible to put L plates on company vehicles and drive with another driver? does this make sense?

sense … sense … ■■? … its what SHOULD be done for everyone in your position !!

ahh thats great advice they are willing to help me theyve offered to pay for my ce nxt year but I thought leaning how to drive loaded unloaded shunting reversing would only help them secure a pass wheb they do do it for me. im assuming id still be under tacho regs as its hire and reward?

jimmypk:
… im assuming id still be under tacho regs as its hire and reward?

Correct

And the good news is that if you hold a cat C then you can drive the unit on its own with out a trailer on the road without a qualified driver with you if the insurance is valid … :smiley: that gives you the chance to get used to the controls ect … :smiley:

YAMBOL57:
And the good news is that if you hold a cat C then you can drive the unit on its own with out a trailer on the road without a qualified driver with you if the insurance is valid … :smiley: that gives you the chance to get used to the controls ect … :smiley:

yambol57 i thought as it still has a fifth wheel i cannot?

Another urban myth!! You can drive a unit without a trailer on your CAT C. No problem. Pete :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

jimmypk:
i thought as it still has a fifth wheel i cannot?

Under the now quite old HGV class 1/2/3 system you would be correct as an artic unit could only be driven with a HGV class 1 licence as it was part of the class 1 set up

Under the LGV system anything without a trailer is a C - with a trailer over 750 kgs = CE

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m sure that before LGV licencing came in you could drive a two-axle tractor unit on a Class 3 HGV licence and a three-axle unit on a Class 2 HGV licence?

Harry Monk:
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m sure that before LGV licencing came in you could drive a two-axle tractor unit on a Class 3 HGV licence and a three-axle unit on a Class 2 HGV licence?

Not that I can recall Harry - from memory (fading now) I am certain that only those with a HGV class 1 could drive artic units
What you describe was correct for non artic units (normal rigids)