Last week diary (not only about driving)

It was a long week.

At monday morning first attraction: other driver returned my lorry. He used it over the weekend for some garden puprouses, I guess, as there was plenty of humus at the back. Apart of that was a couple of bits of broken glass, which I had no time to clean, as he took lorry straight from me at mon arrival, and all my stuff (straps, polysteren etc) flying all over the truck body. He called other guys to show them how dirty I am and he ■■■■■■ me off, as when I gave him my lorry it was all stored in one corner of box. I told that to my supervisor and my fellow college used some words on me, which I can’t find in my dictionary.

Then I found to be plenty of rubbish in the cab (cola bottles, mars bars wraps etc) what was off course his job as well. And plenty of dirt at the floor (what is fully understandable), at the dashboard, sits and beds. I don’t know what they had did there.

I parked arround the corner of warehouse, and, as it was nothing to do as usual in monday morning, started to clean the cab. Then the other driver came to me and asked me why I am not helping boys in the warehouse using such nice words like “[zb] lazy ■■■■■■■■■ I told him that I am doing something different at the moment and asked him why he will not help them, if there is something to do, as I never had seen him working - only walking arround, moaning about everything and everyone and scaring company with the unions. He told me that I am not paid for cleaning my lorry but for work (interesting point, i guess boys, who were just brushing warehouse, were doing that as a hobby in their spare time).

It was going like that all morning and I went ■■■■■■ off. I have nothing against work, but it seems that boys just having a fun of ordering me to doing some things. (how other I can understand that there is 10 guys standing and doing nothing and they calling me from the other side of warehouse when something to do turns up). When they are loading lorry for me they never doing that my way - they always telling me “shut up, you are new here, you don’t have a clue how it should be done” but that’s not a quantum electrodynamics, average smart hamster will learn that quick and I already know what they are doing wrong (they doing that proper way, when loading the other van, but for me I still hear “that’s impossible as forks are not long enaugh”. I guess I have some special, wide version of lorry… :slight_smile:

I don’t know if they just have some issue with me being polish, or just it’s some style of treatment for newcomers, but I won’t allow no-one to sit on my back. All this stupid jokes etc - i tried to ignore that, but they are too persistent.

I spoke about that with my supervisor. I just told them that I am not happy from the way I am treated by some of other stuff and told, that from now on I will only accept orders from supervisors. Also they promised me to push me through fork-lift ticket and I will be legally allowed to load the lorry for myself. Other thing is that now I am starting in mondays at noon, as there is nothing to do at the mornings anyway.

At the end of the day I was finally loaded and I left Glasgow heading to Doncaster. After my 15 hours shift (including plenty of wasted time) i finished on A66 for overnight. At the morning I had a call to change my plans and go straight to the site without collection in Doncaster, so I came via M18 and M1 to Magna Park, near M6/M1 junction. Then I was told to go to Reading to pick up some glass left on the site by mistake, which I did. It wasn’t much, so I told the forklift driver to put it at the middle to keep the lorry balanced. I spent my night at the truck stop near Milton Keynes just off M1 and did few test for Certificate of Advanced English (scored over 70%, better then I expected, but still not enaugh, keep your fingers crossing for me at 26th of july)

On the way I seen this nice delivery of fresh uranium :wink:

I know a lot about this, I was studying physics and astronomy, but I would still feel strange to carry such loads…

I also seen this trailer - Maersk saved a fortune on truck wash for this one:

On the way back I had a wee collection near Kirkby-on-Ashfield.
I seen this funny sign in polish with glaring spelling error - why they never check that in dictionaries or ask someone?
(it should be ZAŁADUNKU, not ZAŁADÓNKU)

If anybody ever will need to post some sign in polish please ask me before you will make a laughing stock of you :wink:

About the 2pm I had a call from my supervisor if I can do another run starts just after I will come back to depot. I agreed but I told them, that I need go to home for one hour to do something. We agreed, that I will come back to depot, leave the lorry to be unloaded and loaded with new deliveries and I will come back to pick up when ready and go down to England again.

Nice sun on M74

But it wasn’t so easy. When I turned up to depot there was one of my “friends” waiting for me. I parked the lorry where usual, then he shouted on me, that I parked it wrong, so I parked it when he wanted, gave him paperwork and told what it’s on the lorry and told “ok, so I am away”.

What I heard was again not in my dictionary, but it was about that it’s not his job and I must work with him, or he won’t move his finger for me. I explained him, that’s it’s not for me, but for company, as company needs some critical delivery at the first time in the morning and that this was agreed with our supervisor, so if he’s got some issues he can go to him. And I left.

I only reached my car when supervisor called me and asked what’s going on. My “friend” told him, that I “dropped the lorry in the middle of the yard and left wituout the word” what obviously wasn’t true. But OK, I came back, opened the curtains and then I heard another collection of scottish swearings conected with “you ■■■■■■■ moron, you put this on the middle, now it’s impossible to unload as forks are too short”.

I got acceptance from my supervisor, and I jumped on the forklift and unloaded this without any problems. Off course no-one moved his finger to help me, so I had to jump on and off the lorry to check if forks are deep enaugh etc (it’s glass panels, not just a pallets, so it’s a matter of milimeters).

When I did that, i went off home.

When I turned back, there was no-one on the yard, lorry was parked and courtains were strapped really tight. Off course as I am responsible for the load I always checking it. And it’s very good, as it wasn’t strapped at all - i can consider it as a sabotage, i think.

So i strapped the load (with a help of one of guys, who were still in the yard, closing the doors on the other side of warehouse) and I left away.

There was a problem. They left a big gap between the load to allow it to move, so even strapped from outside it had still free space in the middle. Even as I was driving very slow and carefull it moved. Lucky, one strap more kept in stable.

I spent my night at the old road, along M74 just before Gretna and I turned up in Newcastle 10 minutes late.

Then another suprise. My nice collegue loaded all stuff upside-down. I mean first drop at the bottom, then second drop etc with last drop at the top.

It took me (and crew from the site) to deal with that problem, what made supervisor angry and he not allowed forklift driver to put moved load straight. I used one strap more and when I was sure, that it’s stable and safe, continued to drive with a big bump in my left courtain. But it slightly damaged the courtine from inside (sharp edges after all) even if I was putting a polysteren there in regular intervals.

I spoke with my supervisor and he allowed me to go to 3rd drop first, which was Wembley. But as I spent 3 hrs at the site, i came to London too late, so I only took a shower and parked in some industrial estate (near this motorbikers cafe near northern circular) what was located not too far from the site.

At the morning we managed to drop the stuff off (it was hand-ball, so I had two romanian guys to help me, but as one lift of glass was packed just under the roof, I had to ask some forklift driver from other construction site to drop it for us, as it was to danger.

Next drop was 4 6 metres long panels, what were putted in the centre between two towers of glass. It looked, that we’ll need to shift all that tons of glass to get acces to that, so the two romanians went with me to other site.

It took us 2 hours to go from Wembley to Brick Lane (friday…)
and half of the company was calling me all the time asking when I will be with the last drop in Southampton. My boss told me that he expect me to go from Brick Lane via A501, A40, M25 and M3 to there in 1 hour 20 minutes. :grimacing:

That was fun, but then I catched that he’s serious. I explained him that maybe it’s possible, but if you drive porsche and it’s 3am…

At the 3rd (I mean second, but I did it as 3rd) drop they had this suckers to glass, so we managed to pull the panels from the middle - there was one scratched.

Then I started to Southampton, but I had to have my 45. My boss called me and he told me that I MUST be there at 3.45 last. I asked what he expect me to do then and after some quiet seconds I heard “■■■■” and he hung up.

I was there good after 17:00, but some nice english chaps from other company agreed to stay with our fitters to wait for me and unload me with a forklift after they finished their job. I hope that our boys got them good pint for that!

At the way back I had to stop at Warwick services on M40 due to lack of driving time, and it was disaster and it costed 20 quid without meal voucher. Lucky me, that company paid me that back, as it was the worst spent 20 ever in my live.

I was back in Glasgow about 4.30 pm in saturday and now I had monday off, so at the end of the day it’s not so bad, as I was paid saturday rate.

But it costed company a lot of money and troubles. I don’t think that it’s good to play some childish games against me by ruining company job…

auto censor dodge removed…Denis F

i wud jus leave tha place straight away sounds like a bunch of pricks working there, wa happened to equal oppertunities??

You know - i like this job and when I am on the run, i am working alone and meeting a fitters only, who are really good guys.

In the warehouse there are also only few morons with some issues, rest of boys are ok. That’s only that this stupid ones are the most noisy… - I hope that supervisors will solve this problem.

I don’t need them to like me - i just want to do my job in peace.

Good diary, but it’s not much fun working with a bunch of bawbags and dobbers. :unamused:

macplaxton:
Good diary, but it’s not much fun working with a bunch of bawbags and dobbers. :unamused:

That’s why I am enjoying driving so much.

Imagine to sit with them in one office 8 hrs per day… :slight_smile:

If your bosses aren’t prepared to sort this out then you have a big decision to make. Just don’t forget to nut the mouth on the way out if that’s what you’ve decided.

Very good Orys. :smiley:

orys:
If anybody ever will need to post some sign in polish please ask me before you will make a laughing stock of you :wink:

Oh, ok. Translate this into Polish for me…
“about the woods we know more then woodworms”

excuse me, what that’s mean “nut the mouth”?

Is that something about speaking or about hitting someone in his teeths?

Mike-C:
Very good Orys. :smiley:

orys:

Oh, ok. Translate this into Polish for me…
“about the woods we know more then woodworms”

Hey, I was talking about some signs like “no park there” or “please turn your engine off” not about some woodworms :wink:

But I can try “O lasach wiemy więcej niż czerwie drzewne” (whathever it is “woodworm” - i have no idea, collins dictionary gives me “czerw drzewny” for that).

editet: so, if czerw drzewny is something strange I would prefer to use word “korniki” thats polish for this small insects who are digging tunnels in the tree… I thing that meaning will be similar, especially, that english wikipedia password for woodworm when you choose “polish” sends you to korniki’s page… :slight_smile:

So, “O lasach wiemy więcej niż korniki” should be ok :wink:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

now, please tranlsate this nut mouth thing to polish for me :wink:

Mike-C:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Ha - see? I am good :slight_smile:

edited: I am even better then someone who was translating this trailer, as woods are lasy, drewno is timber :wink:

orys:
Ha - see? I am good :slight_smile:

Very :smiley:

orys:

‘nut’ is a slang (short) word for head ■■■■ !!! ‘mouth’ in this context is the guy with the big mouth !!

Mike-C:

orys:

‘nut’ is a slang (short) word for head ■■■■ !!! ‘mouth’ in this context is the guy with the big mouth !!

So you mean to hit him with my head?

orys:

Mike-C:

orys:

So you mean to hit him with my head?

Thats the one !!! I know its not a bright idea, but thats what the guy said !!

Also known as the ‘Glasgow Kiss’ :smiley:

Smashing Diary Orys. I hope your supervisor sorts things out for you,

just be careful, don’t take any risks, check no-one has tried to sabotage load or lorry.

Good luck with the test on the 26th July. After you have passed your advanced English cert, you can move on to slang, both national and regional. :wink:

Mike-C:
Also known as the ‘Glasgow Kiss’ :smiley:

You should start from there :wink:

I know what’s that (for luck, only in theory) :wink: