Last week.........

Well what an interesting week its been with plenty to see. Started off Monday with a trip over to Lincoln to go to court for speeding. Prosecution offered no evidence even though they had (and sent me) the two photogrphs of the lorry and my signed statement. What a great start to the week, i’m still grinning from ear to ear. Then back on the container job;

Start at 6 am, i’ve already been briefed the day before. Over to Northwich (big salt place called Brunner Mond) load up and drop it into Garston docks. Easy?
Well lets see how unprepared you can be. I’m in work early in my steel toe caps, high viz, work bag etc., one big problem. No tachograph chart. Now i normally have a few spare in my car, my bag or sometimes you can find one in the cab , one has not been left for me neither. What do you do? Well seeing as i had a big day ahead with more runs i decided (rightly or wrongly) to plod on ahead and not hold the job up and get one later from another driver and enter my start details and a manual record on the back. Not sure how i’d stand legally but it’s a moot point now and it’s never happened to me in over 10 years before . For good measure i plug the cb radio in the 24v plug and blow the fuse, what a great start to the day. On arrival at Brunner Mond i’m asked for my hard hat and safty goggles. I aint got any. Tough, bye bye. As i’m about to leave i look behind the passenger seat and low and behold theres a hard hat, i go back in. Sorry buddy, you’ll need safety glasses. I pull out the site and rumage around the cab and i find a pair, covered in ■■■■■ under the passenger seat. I go back in looking like a cross between Bob the builder and an ant! The two guards fall about laughing and say “who hit ya!!”. Now i though i was on candid camera, i had to go in this box for an “induction” !!!

I watch the video for 10 mins and then i know all thereis to know about the place.

Lets see if any of you can answer this question because i was tested on it.
The minimum PPE (personal protection equiptment) for entering this site is;
select four from the following list;
1)high viz
2)steel toe caps
3)clogs
4)shorts
5)hard hat
6)saftey glasses
7)cigarrette lighter
:sunglasses:mp3 player

I’ll tell you the answers later, lucky i watched the video carefully hey/! I’m now fully inducted and have a card to prove it so if anyone is looking for a fully inducted hard hat and glasses man then i’m your man. Not that i needed then actually i just sat in the cab whilst they loaded up my container.

And whilst there i came across my pet hate, the driver was actually ontop of his tanker, i think i nearly shook him off when i slammed his door on him!

Then later in the week i’m back on the “steel job”

I can’t actually rope and sheet but i can take one off!! I just hope it never rains when i have a collection to do. I had to do a deloivery to one of them "we’ve had bigger in here " places down this alleyway. View taken from the cab looking out.

Now i know it aint the narrowest alley way but yu have to reverse into a small dark alcove of a bay with a great big post there and it fits where it touches.
Will it fit?

Well yes, just!!!

Whilst i’m there i spot the boss overlooking some work going on;

How do i know he’s the boss? Well take a look at the size of the walet in his rear pocket. (not that i make a habit of photographing guys arses!)
I say to the guy, “its a bit tight in here isn’t it?”, he tells me “we get aritcs in here”
and i don’t doubt it but still i think “■■■■ off”.
Some other trips inthe week included a trip up to Stobarts in Wakefield where i watch with disbelief as they start their “teach drivers straight from school project”

And just to prove they are ahead in cutting edge technology i watch them trialing a new version of a shunt motor

One more thing that amused me this week was “Johnsons Volvo parts dealers” i think they are based around Stourbridge way. What is the best way to move about four van loads of goods around the country. Doh!! In four vans of course, i kid you not!!!

Mike-C. When this thread started I thought it was a cab-happy snapper but I soon realised that this is transport gone mad ! Totally bizarre the playstation booth & the tots walking around amongst trailers with that guy shunting traiers around with no brakes. I LOL at your take on roping & sheeting. " I can take one off!" & as for the tight spot ( Was it Asda or Tescos ?),as you well know its easier to back in a 40 flat than it is to get in a short rigid. Great thread; Good pics;Great sense of humour.//Youre hired. ed.// :laughing:

Mike-C . If you want to smarten those snaps up download Picasa Its free & user friendly. It will ajust colour ,sharpness & everything in between… NB. They are good snaps…

Very good :laughing:

Always look forward to your posts, guaranteed a laugh!

Very good as usual. Like the humour :laughing:

nice one :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

agree with everyone else,well written and a good laugh.

Thanks ,
Harry i don’t think i’ll need that picasa thanks mate, i have the latest Adobe foto shop which even if i say so myself i’m a dab hand with. I just reduce the image size and quality by half in one easy go with irfan view just to keep the file sizes small and so i don’t spend to long on the comp as my missus goes mad if i spend to long on it!!!

Nice photo’s.How do you get on driving all those trucks in a week.I can’t even back up a straight truck without pulling on the steering the wrong way :stuck_out_tongue:

Mike-C I can`t get along with Photoshop. I find it slow & complicated ( I have got the great big one…a present from a film producer . He bought it for £600!!) I use Picasa & Paintshop together & I can knock out a reasonable snap fairly quickly… But you could tell me the best way to upload the snaps directly onto the page the way that you do. I know that there are instructions on here but it takes ages to upload to photobucket & then all I can show is a a weblink & the snaps are massive…

Longwayround:
I can’t even back up a straight truck without pulling on the steering the wrong way :stuck_out_tongue:

I do have the same problem unless i’m on one for a while, so as you can see it was no mean feat for me to get that rigid in there!!

harry:
Mike-C I can`t get along with Photoshop. I find it slow & complicated ( I have got the great big one…a present from a film producer . He bought it for £600!!) I use Picasa & Paintshop together & I can knock out a reasonable snap fairly quickly… But you could tell me the best way to upload the snaps directly onto the page the way that you do. I know that there are instructions on here but it takes ages to upload to photobucket & then all I can show is a a weblink & the snaps are massive…

Well i had the same problem with Photoshop as you and i binned it, until i got the instructional videos for it and as with everything a little bit of tuition goes and long way and now it’s real easy. But it is just a mass of meaningless buttons at first. Once your pics are on photobucket you have three “links” under your pic? Just copy and paste “as is” the “img” one into your post and your pic should appear. To get them on photobucket quicker just look if you have an option to reduce the quality of the picture and thus the file size?

Harry. Using Paintshop you can open the picture and then press SHIFT+S. This opens the resize options, you can choose pixels or percent and a width of 640 pixels is a good size for the forums Make sure the box that says Lock Aspect Ratio is checked and then enter the new pixel size in the Width box, the Height box will change to match it. Click OK and check the results. IF you press CTRL+ALT+N you will be viewing it at 100% and if you feel it is now too small or still too big just press CTRL+Z to remove the resize and go through it again entering a different pixel width. When you are happy save it, CTRL+F12 will save a copy leaving the original untouched. This resizing will also make the file size smaller which means it should upload quicker.

Thank You Coffee. I shall print out that info & try my luck again…

Thanks for the diary Mike,very good
Regards derek

A good read. Pity you didn’t get any pictures in court though :smiley:

Coffeeholic . I followed your advice & posted a couple of links on here but I think they have been pulled . I shall check around & see where they are. Resizing really speeds things up… I thankyou…

Ooops!! I posted them on another thread…// THE FIRST ARTIC I DROVE…//

Is that steel job with the post in the way at perry bar :question:

Very good read and pics :smiley:

convoy:
Is that steel job with the post in the way at perry bar :question:

Very good read and pics :smiley:

Thats the one!!! Midland Chromium plating or something like that!! You been there too?!!!