Last shift into 7th day

Im not sure of the definitive answer on this so wanting your opinions please. Ill be starting at 8am on Monday morning and working till saturday this week. There is a possibility that the saturday job might be a late start which will possibly, although not very likely, run into the earky hours of Sunday morning. Would it then be legal to have 24 hours of and start again later on the Monday or is it not possible to drive into sunday as it would effectively be my 7th day?

TIA
Matt

xfmatt:
Im not sure of the definitive answer on this so wanting your opinions please. Ill be starting at 8am on Monday morning and working till saturday this week. There is a possibility that the saturday job might be a late start which will possibly, although not very likely, run into the earky hours of Sunday morning. Would it then be legal to have 24 hours of and start again later on the Monday or is it not possible to drive into sunday as it would effectively be my 7th day?

TIA
Matt

This is the reason that the regs do not use the word DAY

The regs work on periods of HOURS

Legal to do this every week …
Start 2300 sunday and finish 0200 saturday

ROG:

xfmatt:

TIA
Matt

This is the reason that the regs do not use the word DAY

The regs work on periods of HOURS

Legal to do this every week …
Start 2300 sunday and finish 0200 saturday

Yeah I thought it was possible looking through my cpc notes but wasn’t 100%. Thanks

Matt

xfmatt:

TIA
Matt

If you start at 08:00 Monday you must start a new weekly rest period no later than 08:00 the following Sunday, so yes you can do some work on the Sunday.

Whether or not you can then have 24 hours off before starting work again depends on whether or not you can legally have a reduced weekly rest period or not, if you’ve had a regular 45 hour weekly rest period this weekend you will be OK.

As you know you must have a regular 45 hour weekly rest period at-least every second week.

tachograph:
As you know you must have a regular 45 hour weekly rest period at-least every second week.

The answer to Matt’s question is yes, he can run into the seventh day, and yes, he can have 24 hours off if he has a reduced rest period available. I just wanted to clarify something though, although you do have to have a 45 hour rest every second fixed week, this does not mean that you cannot have a 24 hour rest period on two consecutive weekends, you can. If you have a 45 hour rest at the beginning of week 1 and another at the end of week 3 then you can have a reduced rest at the end of weeks 1 and 2.

my understanding of it is 24 hours rest every week and 45 hours rest every other week.
ie finish at 12 noon on saturday you can start back work at 9 am monday (45 hours) then if you finish work on sunday at 11 am you can then start work again at 11 am monday (24 hours rest) is that correct?

jimmy page:
my understanding of it is 24 hours rest every week and 45 hours rest every other week.
ie finish at 12 noon on saturday you can start back work at 9 am monday (45 hours) then if you finish work on sunday at 11 am you can then start work again at 11 am monday (24 hours rest) is that correct?

Correct but you also have to consider the payback for the reduced weekly rest

Harry Monk:

tachograph:

I just wanted to clarify something though, although you do have to have a 45 hour rest every second fixed week, this does not mean that you cannot have a 24 hour rest period on two consecutive weekends, you can. If you have a 45 hour rest at the beginning of week 1 and another at the end of week 3 then you can have a reduced rest at the end of weeks 1 and 2.

Yes but you cannot do that on a regular basis.

You can do this in certain circumstances, lets say you start week one with a rest period of 90 hours or more (possibly after a holiday for instance) and the rest period crosses over into the first week of the schedule (week 1), this means the week begins with a regular weekly rest period, now if you have reduced weekly rest periods on the next two weekends then a regular weekly rest period at the end of week three, the regular weekly rest period at the end of week three will count for week three, so basically you’ve moved the weekly rest period for the week from the start of the week to the end of the week.
However if you was to now try it again and have only reduced weekly rest periods on the next two consecutive weekends you would get an infringement for insufficient weekly rest on week five.

If you have weekly rest periods only at weekends and no further weekly rest periods at any other time in the week, you cannot legally have a regular weekly rest period followed by two reduced weekly rest periods and stick to that work pattern on a regular basis, it’s illegal.

You can do this.

At least, that’s what the Government seem to think. :wink:

Harry Monk:
You can do this.

You can indeed do that if the circumstances are correct, however if you had only reduced weekly rest periods in the following two weekends (weeks 4 and 5) you would not be complying with the regulations and get an infringement for insufficient weekly rest in week 5, likewise if you had only reduced weekly rest periods in the previous two weekends it would not be legal.

The example in the top diagram of the picture can only be done as a one off not regularly, that’s because week 2 has two weekly rest periods, week 1 has a weekly rest period at the start of the week and week 3 has a weekly rest period at the end of the week, of the two reduced weekly rest periods in week 2 only one has to be compensated for because the other is there only to reset the six 24 hour periods.

Harry Monk:
At least, that’s what the Government seem to think. :wink:

There’s an election soon, the government will tell you anything they think you want to hear :laughing:

Perhaps this might help …

WEEKLY REST EXAMPLE.PNG

For week 3 either of the orange days off can be used with the other being an extra not needing compensation