6th Shift Finishing on 7th Day Query

Hello everyone. I’ve got a solid grasp of EU and WT(RTD) rules and I am 99.9% sure I know the answer to this question, but I’ll ask anyway.

If my 6th shift finishes in the early hours of the 7th day, this is legal, correct?

Example: 12:00 Start Monday, working 5 days. Day 6 shift starting 14:00 and finishing 02:00 (+1 Sunday). I’ve worked into my 7th day of the week but still only worked 6 shifts. All other rules followed.

Please keep any answers concise.

The word DAY does not appear in the regs
Regs are done by HOURS only

Legal example
Start monday 2200 and finish sunday 0100 leaving a 45 hour rest period
That can be done every week

Thanks

in the example given you need to finish your 6th shift and start the weekly rest 144 hours (6x24) after you start the first. ie 12:00 Sunday

You can work 7 shifts in 7 days providing you finish your 7th shift within 144 hours from starting the week

malyk_38:
If my 6th shift finishes in the early hours of the 7th day, this is legal, correct?

I recently got an infringement for exactly this.

Basically my Sixth shift finished 1.5hrs after my first shift started meaning I’d technical started a seventh shift.

Fortunately the “driver Manager” was understanding and blamed my agency for poorly assigning shifts.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

WideWolf:

malyk_38:

I recently got an infringement for exactly this.

Basically my Sixth shift finished 1.5hrs after my first shift started meaning I’d technical started a seventh shift.

Fortunately the “driver Manager” was understanding and blamed my agency for poorly assigning shifts.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Yeah that’s a bummer. The regs do say “6 24hour periods” which is why I assumed 7 days is technically legal providing it stays within the 144 hours. It’s funny because 99% of people just assume 6 days means 6 days

Yes, as I say in my Driver CPC courses calendar days are irrelevant. Had a young lad panicking ring me the other day (I give out my number to customers for advice at any time :wink: He hasn’t done hours one yet tho) saying he’d started 10am Sunday, broke down Friday and wouldn’t get back till early Saturday morning, boss said it was ok but he questioned it as it was his 7th calendar day. But he had till 10am Saturday to get back so all was well. As others have pointed out, 6 24 hour periods is how it’s described in legislation, which is 144 hours. Can work on 7 calendar days and squeeze in as many shifts as you like if you comply with all other rules like rest