LAPTOPS?

i,m currently getting serious headaches, deciding which laptop to buy. ive decided i,m getting one, but to be honest, i havent got a clue as to which to buy, it will be second hand i would think, and i would want to have it operating in wagon. hhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm.
1st off, what would i need to have power for it in cab?
2cnd, same question to use on internet in cab.
could i transfer my current AOL. ACCOUNT TO USE ON THE ROAD ASWELL AS HOME? WILL I HAVE TO SUBSCRIBE TO A NEW ACCOUNT, HONESTLY GUYS I HAVENT A CLUE. :blush: :blush: :blush:

any help/advice would be very much appreciated.

terry… :wink:

I use a 150 watt inverter to power mine. As for AOHELL I haven’t a clue.

Coffeeholic:
I use a 150 watt inverter to power mine. As for AOHELL I haven’t a clue.

cheers niel, i already have a 300 wat inverter, so thats the power sorted, thanks.

now for the rest, how to connect to the internet. via my mobil i presume. :blush: :unamused: .
■■?.. :wink:

Just looking for the same thing, for internet access this looks the best option but the prices seem a bit scary for the amount of Data, and can’t find out if it will work with a either a Mac or Linux :confused: :confused: :frowning:

If anyone is using one can they please post if they are any good or not.

As for AOL best thing to do with that is bin it completley.

I hold the IBM thinkpad in high regard as it is more robust then alot of other laptops, I never had a problem with mine when I used to take it with me. You can pick a T20 up from ebay for £2-300, you can get a car adapter from maplin for about £20, as for AOL I don’t have a major problem with it, you can set the email up to work with outlook so you never even have to sign in to AOL, I used it a few times by going through an IR link with my GPRS mobile, it was slow but worked. Most of it depends on personel preference I suppose.

Id recommened one from the Satellite range by Toshiba. I had a S1900 603, or something like that cant quite remember, and it was brilliant. Very quick and well specced. Mine cost £550 seconed hand but that was a couple of years ago so probably come down quite a bit.

smcaul:
my GPRS mobile, it was slow but worked. Most of it depends on personel preference I suppose.

Like smcaul said, I too can access the web on my mobile and it is slow and have heared about connecting it to a PC for internet access but as its for use in the cab only its a good idea and probably the cheapest, but im not sure how its done although its probably only a lead between the two.

I’ve just bought a second hand Compaq Evo N400c for £240, with software. Its got an 850MHz chip, 20Gb hard drive and a DVD player. Unfortunately it seems to be USB 1.1, so won’t work with my BroadBand, that needs to be USB 2.0 it seems. However, as I’m home on Thursday this week, I am going to nip into my local computer shop tomorrow to pick up a cable so I can network the 2 'puters. Hopefully I can then share my BB through the network set-up, so I can download anything I need directly onto the laptop (like that WTD spreadsheet).

This machine has a base unit, with the DVD and floppy drives in it. The actual laptop only has the HDD in it, so you need both parts. The battery is in the laptop and although I cant be 100% sure yet, I suspect that the battery will last a bit longer if the two parts are separated when its being used for a job which doesn’t need the removable drives.

I’ve never had a laptop before, so I’m learning as I go. But it seems quick enough to work with, I’m not spending ages waiting for an application to open, close or do a task. It plays DVDs and could run the software to use it for watching TV, if that’s your thing. The hard drive is big enough to hold all the stuff I want on it. I’ve partitioned the drive into an OS partition (XP Pro) and a software/data partition. Any important data I need to keep will be copied onto my home computer at the W/E when I’m home.