Advice about power for laptop.What do I need?

Have signed up for T mobile laptop + mobile broadband deal (£30 p/m) to use on nights out.
Was wondering what I need to get power for the laptop in my cab.?
Is it called an inverter? I have read there are 12v or 24v ones. Presume I should go for 24v?
Are they portable for different cabs?

Thanks for any advice :smiley:

Hey there. I advise you to get a 24v power inverter from the internet. The ones in the truck stops are usually very over priced. Don’t bother with one of those laptop chargers that plug in the ■■■ socket. You may as well get the inverter then that way you can plug other things into it such as a tv aerial power booster, phone charger blah blah blah. The 24v inverters use less battery power to work than what the 12v ones do. Also you will find the wires behind the dash board are cooler than what they would be running from the 12v.

Good luck and let me know how your mobile internet is doing because I am very very tempted to get that myself. :smiley:

P.S

Yes, they just plug in the 24v power supply in the cab so you can unplug it and put it in another cab if you wish.

Steve-o:
Good luck and let me know how your mobile internet is doing because I am very very tempted to get that myself. :smiley:

Me too.

Thanks for the advice. The laptop should arrive Tuesday so I’ll let you know how it goes.
You have to agree to sign up for 24 months, but have 14 days to see if you want to keep it or not. One reason why I chose T mobile offer was because it won’t charge you more if you go over the 3 Gb monthly limit like some do.Can be expensive I understand if you exceed the limit.

P.S What size inverter will I need? Have had a look on ebay & they range from 300w to 2000w. Obviously more expensive the more watts, but don’t want to go over the top if not needed.

Cheers

keano1:
Thanks for the advice. The laptop should arrive Tuesday so I’ll let you know how it goes.
You have to agree to sign up for 24 months, but have 14 days to see if you want to keep it or not. One reason why I chose T mobile offer was because it won’t charge you more if you go over the 3 Gb monthly limit like some do.Can be expensive I understand if you exceed the limit.

P.S What size inverter will I need? Have had a look on ebay & they range from 300w to 2000w. Obviously more expensive the more watts, but don’t want to go over the top if not needed.

Cheers

300w runs my laptop ok. the rating on your power supply should tell you - read it then double it if you want anything other than charging :wink:

I use my laptop all the time on my travels. For the best prices and advice on inverters go to Maplins or Towsure. The motorhomers have got it really well sussed out and seem to have a solution for all these sort of things. I use Three mobile on pay as you go. You get 3GB for £15 valid up to a month. I never ever get anywhere near the limit, and you wouldn’t either unless you dowload films or tons of music. The beauty ot the PAYG is that if you don’t need it for a couple of weeks you don’t put credit on until you do. Your £30 a month commits you to paying them £720. I spend a fraction of that and you can pick up a cheap laptop for about £300 these days, in fact Currys do a small wireless one for £200.

have look at this thread and see what you think

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … ht=#378488

as for the dongle, 3 mobile is ok and is fast enough for just surfing but not much good for movies or music live streaming. im on the £10 a month pay as you go (i think its 1GB) and i havent used it all up yet and i have been doing some serious surfing while waiting round doing promotional work, when you can get a signal its good but i have had a few places where couldnt get a signal.

i cant comment on the vodafone ones as i dont know anybody with them

hope this helps

Ive used both 3 and Vodafone. I prefer 3 as there whole network is 3G which they are updating to the HSDPA. Too often with Vodafone you get 2.5g or just the basic 3G. I think Three now cover all the motorways, trunk roads and urban areas. It’s just when you are right out in the sticks that it can be a bit hit or miss.

i just signed u a few weeks ago for the 3 deal 2 year contract £30/month free hp 530 laptop with vista basic and 3 modem with 5gb download , on mine a lot over last 2 weeks and not even used a gb yet plus when i get home just connect via my home router saving my download limits , so far not had any problems with service , ordered mine on the sunday and was there modem one day and laptop 2 days after (tues and thur ) for me getting home on friday evening

Not meaning to be stupid, but do the inverters come with the lead to plug into the cig lighter socket or is that something else you need to buy as well?

faulkner:
Not meaning to be stupid, but do the inverters come with the lead to plug into the cig lighter socket or is that something else you need to buy as well?

Some of them do, some of them don’t. :wink:

For example: the 12V inverter I bought came with a cigarette lighter lead, but the 24V one I bought came with a lead with big crocodile clips on the end to connect direct to a battery.

That must be a pain in the behind, do the extra leads cost much?

faulkner:

the 12v one i bought from maplins comes with both, ciggie lighter plug and crocodile clips for batteries. just screw them and away you go. just dont get them mixed up. RED IS POSITIVE

Shrek:

Steve-o:

Me too.

ditto. i need to go on contract to get the N96 when it comes out and i want mobile internet for my laptop. getting both from tmob would make sense and probably give me a better deal