breaking,the LAW, come on
BUILD MORE LAYBYES; and
other types of parking which will
hopefully alllow every one to be
happy, and people of KENT
you need to remember with
out those dirty large vehicles
delivering the goods, your shopping
basket will never get filled at a emptey shop.

Pete,

I take it you haven’t been too the Orbital Park (not having a go :slight_smile: ) foreign trucks are parked all over it at weekends both sides of the roads(not 10or 20 but in the hundreds. It is also a retail park so on saturdays and Sundays it is a traffic jam and basically dangerous.

I deliver to an engineering firm everynow and then and often cannot get through the parked lorries at all. Rubbish and bottles of pee and worse litter the estate, the police also get called to trouble on the estate between drivers. I have also witnessed regular cars arriving with Eastern plates on collecting packages from drivers then going!! ■■■■ booze or Worse.

Parking in Kent is non-existent 300 spaces at Ashford is a pimple on a gnats behind for whats required. There is a development site at the next junction which should have been turned into a truckstop 24 acres straight onto the Junction. Its going to be a hotel :open_mouth: a year and a half later and its still a field. The site is away from any residential properties by miles and perfect for a truckstop/stack overload.

Kent council has agreed to do something about additional parking 5-10 years to put in place is the latest from them and the Police. I work with firms who build a whole shopping centre faster than that. The issue will continue though that the vast majority of foreign drivers do not want to pay the £15ish a night it would take to make a park viable so will continue to park on private estates.

The governmet will not subsidise parking and while no maut etc. is in place for foreign drivers we would foot the bill anyway. :open_mouth: :wink:

I think the general public is very accepting of trucks in Kent on the whole, after all most have got used to dodging side swipes, trucks parked in Residential roads etc. layby’s full of rubbish and stinking of urine so why wouldn’t they be? :open_mouth:

I did not know it was that bad,
if they arecauseing a obstruction
then yes they should be moved
but to where??
AS regards
the amount of rubbish, filth and other
items then yes lets get this cleared up. I
would like however to point out that
not all of those drivers who park there ;;are
depositing their rubbish all over the place
as many do either take it with them or
use the bins provided, if they are doing
shiffty deals then lets get the area
policed and catch them at it,what one needs to
relaise that most european firms
do not give their drivers money to pay parking,
the only way to overcome this is if the
whys and wherefores could be posted in the various
trucking mags through out the various countrys
also explaining that illegal parking will be punished
and if they can.t pay the fine, then sell the lorry,
THIS happens here in GERMANY when they catch
some one out and they can not pay the fine or costs
yes it sounds harsh but it brings results, however
WHY is it THAT ONLY the UK has no
laybyes ,AND on the motorways,
one has to pay a parking fee,why it
should be free just like europe.

Pete I agree,

laybys with a bog and parking for 30 or so trucks for free as per the continent is the way forward.

Shame the governmet don’t think so

N2N Transport:
There is a development site at the next junction which should have been turned into a truckstop 24 acres straight onto the Junction. Its going to be a hotel :open_mouth: a year and a half later and its still a field.

If you are referring to the site at J11, there is a new service area at this location now. Hotel to follow. Unfortunately this SA made poor use of the available space, with approx only 20 LGV spaces. There are toilets, but the other facilities are the usual 400 yard walk.

So how do you move and to where if you have only got 10 minutes driving time left?

If you havnt enough time to complete your shift, then you should have parked up earlier. nearly every driver who crosses the channel knows there is a very big problem with parking. there are quite a lot of them who are now using the A2, well at least they have a choice of laybye. If they use the train, then the facilities are few and far between on the A20/M20. The biggest problem was when Dover closed the dock parking area…and for those that can remember it started when the wheelhouse was an entity…the eastern bloc truckers would spend nothing, but use and abuse the facilities…they couldnt even be bothered to use the toilets a lot of the time, but go under the trailer…so it was on the cards that facilities would be taken away. Maybe theres a reason why the uk government doesnt charge them road tolls…maybe they have to give them something for their money…like parking…laybyes…toilets…etc…there are even parts of france that charge for parking now…and also in germany…but these are private parks…would the eastern bloc truckers pay to park…i doubt it…not their fault mind you…their bosses dont give them the money to pay for parking…and there are a few uk firms who do that as well…but i must agree with the residents of ashford retail park, who have to run the gauntlet in order to do their shopping…maybe if the police do clamp down, and maybe if the drivers refuse to move, or pay then their bosses will get the message…but at the end of the day…theres not enough parking spaces available…but there used to be before the invasion…so i dont give a sh***

truckyboy:
If you havnt enough time to complete your shift, then you should have parked up earlier.

When I am running up to the UK from southern Spain, like many others Im on a tight schedule and have to use every minute available to me. So via the use of a stopwatch and the satnav I calculate my expected destination.

Quite often i reach my intended parking place with just 10 minutes on the clock - quite sufficient to complete my shift.

Now if Britain cant provide adequate parking thats not my problem, I will park wherever the hell I can, and im damned if Im going to pay extortionate amounts of money for it either.

So when the Police try to move me on next time, they had better bring a translator who speaks Catalan because theyll get no sense out of me otherwise!!

They had also better bring with them a written instruction in ALL 27 European languages detailing why I had to move on my rest period so that the police in other countries dont blame me for moving illegally and bang me with a massive fine.

T_Trev,

thats the junction M8, but the space for sale/sold for development is on the otherside of the motorway. Have a look if your passing its a massive site, agree with the 20places though in the services Pitiful. You also have the cafe on the way to lymne by Volvo Trucks that could also be a great park albeit limited to how many could sensibly park there.

They need to sort something out, even Euro laybys as Pete said would be good. trouble is they would be full of Gypo’s or Cackleheads as we call them here!! :smiley: :wink: