Kent council looking to build 3 truck stops

In this weeks kent messenger kent looking to build 3x200 place truckstops to curb illegal parking plus a larger parking area for operation stack. I don’t know how to post link in sure someone will tho :wink:

That won’t stop the dodgy parking as no doubt you will have to pay for the privilege of using them and many won’t.

I think you be surprised how many will be prepared to pay for proper parking. All the auto hofs and secure parking in Belgium and holland are usually full even tho there is plenty of free parking over there . There will always the the ones that won’t pay tho

For a matter of interest, if you are one of those who is quite happy to pay, would you feel hard done by, and indeed have any comeback at all if your truck got vandalised/fuel nicked/curtains cut etc etc whilst parked in a so-called “secure location” having paid to do so? :question:

About bloody time!

Winseer:
For a matter of interest, if you are one of those who is quite happy to pay, would you feel hard done by, and indeed have any comeback at all if your truck got vandalised/fuel nicked/curtains cut etc etc whilst parked in a so-called “secure location” having paid to do so? :question:

I personally don’t pay for the security I pay to park so I can eat and take a dump .but most euro ‘secure’ parking do have a barrier were you need a coin or a card to get out and auto hoffs usually have a security guy wandering about. I don’t think any ware is really safe tho

kentonline.co.uk/folkestone_ … ops-13450/

i think this is the one

Theirs already 4 truck parks /stops around the Dover Folkstone area which vary i price for parking and are busy most nights the area could quiet easily accommodate another 3 and fill them most nights. weekends there full to bursting already

Yeh. Folkstone services and Cobham, Surrey seem to be parked all over the shop, all the transporter bays full, coach full of foreign wagons, service roads full of bods like me deseperate to take a 45…
I’ve learned my lesson by this point though, and avoid using any MSA that was chockablock last time I turned up there at a reasonable hour.

Maybe they should have bought some more of the surrounding land?

Either people want trade and the non-third world status that goes with it, or we just give up on the industry and become like some banana republic somewhere.

Winseer:
Yeh. Folkstone services and Cobham, Surrey seem to be parked all over the shop, all the transporter bays full, coach full of foreign wagons, service roads full of bods like me deseperate to take a 45…
I’ve learned my lesson by this point though, and avoid using any MSA that was chockablock last time I turned up there at a reasonable hour.

Either people want trade and the non-third world status that goes with it, or we just give up on the industry and become like some banana republic somewhere.

As far as parking facility’s are concerned we are 3rd world by far

chester1:
I think you be surprised how many will be prepared to pay for proper parking. All the auto hofs and secure parking in Belgium and holland are usually full even tho there is plenty of free parking over there . There will always the the ones that won’t pay tho

Yep even Eastern European lorries! look at Ashford Truckstop or M20 ‘Stop24’ Folkestone there are always full up on evening and weekend with full of Eastern European lorries and yes they pay for parking fee! :open_mouth: :grimacing:

chester1:

Winseer:

As far as parking facility’s are concerned we are 3rd world by far

Really Chester :question:

casonandcolleen.blogspot.co.uk/2 … p.html?m=1

theguardian.com/world/2001/d … ds.society

Try inputting Simon Reeve “The tea trail”
It was probably like kew Gardens or some other such paradise until ‘the truckers’ arrived :laughing:

wow if they open 3 truck parks in Kent that will double to what we already have in the UK.

My experience of using Auto Hofs is if you pay to park, you the get the the cost refunded from te cost of your meal. I think its to stop those that park and don’t use the facilities or at least get some money from them.

muckles:
My experience of using Auto Hofs is if you pay to park, you the get the the cost refunded from te cost of your meal. I think its to stop those that park and don’t use the facilities or at least get some money from them.

You mean like at the MSA’s here where you pay £20ish and get a meal voucher for a few quid.

speedyguy:

muckles:

You mean like at the MSA’s here where you pay £20ish and get a meal voucher for a few quid.

No, at an AutoHof you normally get the full cost of the parking back in meal vouchers.

speedyguy:

muckles:

Not quite.
In the UK you seem to get a few quid back to buy some dried out food that’s been sitting under warming lamps for hours or maybe a few quid to pay for a fast food take away.
In the Auto Hofs I’ve used (not too many admittedly) but enough to get the idea. :smiley: you pay far less than £20 and get the entire cost of you parking back when you purchase a freshly cooked meal to eat in the very clean and pleasant restaurant and maybe wash it down with a cold beer.

Harry Monk:

speedyguy:

muckles:

No, at an AutoHof you normally get the full cost of the parking back in meal vouchers.

This^ bloody great system ,a proper place to park,proper food,showers,safe,have a pint ,and you feel refreshed and ready for the day ahead.
I try to plan my day around autohoffs if I know what the plan is.

Most of the MSA now cook the food fresh. No more heat lamps. They are usually micro or deep fried though but they are getting better.

jc69817:
Most of the MSA now cook the food fresh. No more heat lamps. They are usually micro or deep fried though but they are getting better.

You’re probably right, I have had to stop at a few MSA’s recently, though not had a meal at one for a long time, they do seem a bit more inviting, nicer places to sit etc. but still a lot of money for a night parked in a ■■■■ smelling pot holed strewn piece of Tarmac.

But they still have a lot to learn from the best the rest of Europe can offer, although there are some crap one aswell. The biggest thing the UK could do is have more of them, maybe smaller sites aswell as the big one.

I think Auto Hofs aren’t actually motorway services, I think they’re called Rasthofs, Auto Hofs seem to be just off the motorway and although can be used by motorists, they are truck orientated.