Truck Parks and Tax

Article in Kent on Line.
Truck parking in general, not just Kent, not just Brexit. Gov talking if more tax to fund it and planning rules.
kentonline.co.uk/kent/news/ … ks-261673/

There are many places right now that have the capabilties to have truck parking. They just go out of there way to ensure it does not happen. Be it with height or wdith restrictions or other measure such as no parkings areas.

I have been to the States once and I saw, trucks parked up near large supermarkets without issue. You can rarely ever do that here. Granted not every place has space for HGVs but quite a few could quite easily make say 4-5 spaces for HGVs available. If enough people do it then it will help out a lot.

For example I included a picture of tesco extra in pitsea. I think they do not allow HGVs to park here now but areas like this are needed.

.the ni tax rise that’s coming
He’s promised it will all go the the NHS…do you fully believe that.
say he raised £100m in this hgv tax do you think there really spend it all and build decent truck stops at key locations?
I doubt it some will get lost in the system

And we’re end up with a truckstop.in Kent and nothing up north.

edd1974:
And we’re end up with a truckstop.in Kent and nothing up north.

The north isn’t where the HGV parking crisis is and the further north you go the less it is. It’s from the Midlands going south and getting worse towards the south east. The government did a very extensive lorry parking study a few years ago where they went out and actually counted parked lorries both on the roadside, on industrial estates and in truckstops and other lorry parking. They had done the same previously in 2010 so had a point of comparison. It showed the situation getting much worse.

gov.uk/government/publicati … ry-parking

adam277:
There are many places right now that have the capabilties to have truck parking. They just go out of there way to ensure it does not happen. Be it with height or wdith restrictions or other measure such as no parkings areas.

I have been to the States once and I saw, trucks parked up near large supermarkets without issue. You can rarely ever do that here. Granted not every place has space for HGVs but quite a few could quite easily make say 4-5 spaces for HGVs available. If enough people do it then it will help out a lot.

For example I included a picture of tesco extra in pitsea. I think they do not allow HGVs to park here now but areas like this are needed.

Asda at Cribbs Causeway used to if not allow it at least turn a blind eye to it. Not anymore. And I can see their point as it had become a 24hr/7day truckstop taking up a bulk of their customer car park with appropriate levels of rubbish/damage/who knows what.

edd1974:
.the ni tax rise that’s coming
He’s promised it will all go the the NHS…do you fully believe that.

As I understand it - no it will not.
The increase to NI starts in April 2022, but the Health & Social Care Levy does not begin until April 2023.
It is the Health & Social Care Levy that will be ‘ring-fenced’ for health & social care.

toonsy:

adam277:

Asda at Cribbs Causeway used to if not allow it at least turn a blind eye to it. Not anymore. And I can see their point as it had become a 24hr/7day truckstop taking up a bulk of their customer car park with appropriate levels of rubbish/damage/who knows what.

I think a possible solution is a private firm just scouting areas for truck parking and speaking to the land holders to camera it up and charge a reasonable fee. For example, at the Tesco location they could charge £15 a night and people would pay it. If you get 6 trucks there thats £90 a day and like £30,000 a year. And if you can get enough spots like that you can make a decent amount of money even assumming if half goes to the land holder.

That being said, I’m not a tramper. Personally I think a company like Tesco should offer where possible 45 minutes of free HGV parking. I do not think that is unreasonable. HGV drivers need more safe spaces to stop for a break.

adam277:

toonsy:

adam277:

I think a possible solution is a private firm just scouting areas for truck parking and speaking to the land holders to camera it up and charge a reasonable fee. For example, at the Tesco location they could charge £15 a night and people would pay it. If you get 6 trucks there thats £90 a day and like £30,000 a year. And if you can get enough spots like that you can make a decent amount of money even assumming if half goes to the land holder.

That being said, I’m not a tramper. Personally I think a company like Tesco should offer where possible 45 minutes of free HGV parking. I do not think that is unreasonable. HGV drivers need more safe spaces to stop for a break.

Of course I agree that there needs to be more HGV parking but I can categorically say that if I had a car park I’d not permit hgv drivers.

Why?

Those who mistreat facilties, cause damage, litter, urine and god knows what else. Theres a large minority who simply have no respect or thought for anyone else and i don’t see why it should be incumbent of the likes of Tesco, or asda or wheoever to resolve the situation.

Incidentally my local tesco will turn blind eye to one or two, but that’s less flexible now because bollards have been squashed, cars damaged, kerbs ruined etc etc.

Why aren’t questions being asked of MSA or existing parking areas? Why isn’t planning permission for sites wishing to extend made much much easier with the nimbys given keys if a free reign? That’s the bigger logjam to resolve it all.

toonsy:
Why aren’t questions being asked of MSA or existing parking areas? Why isn’t planning permission for sites wishing to extend made much much easier with the nimbys given keys if a free reign? That’s the bigger logjam to resolve it all.

You`re right, from the link:

“(Mr Merriman) referred to a £32 million fund the government had injected into the transport budget to improve lorry park provision, saying that the company Moto had told him that it had spent £40m on providing 100 spaces at a site it ran in Rugby but taken 13 years to get through the planning system.”

£40m for 100 places, and 13 years for permission!
What commercial enterprise would buy land knowing they might be just sitting on it for 13 years to await a yes/no?
The private sector can`t be expected to put up with that can they?