Just wanted to introduce myself

Hi All,

Just registered, been wanting to get on the trucks since I was a kid, the old man was at it for best part of 25 years.
Under no illusions as to what’s in store.

Biggest problem was never having the money to fund my training/licence so I have been stuck in an office for the last 11 years.
But, that looks set to change as I am waiting for a decision/confirmation of a whole batch of redundancies coming up of which my position should hopefully be one of them.
This is going to give me the funds I need to get the ball (and wheels) rolling.

So glad I found this forum, after chasing about all of the internet, with no two bits of information being the same and the shiney adverts of green grass and bla bla bla I then come across this place and after spending most of the last two night trawling through most of the newbie section, I finally have a rough idea of the order of play.

I now feel comfortable enough to know that when the time comes and I get my payout, there should be no messing about, with the help of all the guru’s here I should no exactly where I’m starting and wont have to waste any time messing about, can get straight on with it. I’ll probably spend the rest of the weekend with my head in the wannabe section, but if anyone thinks of anything I should be checking out, please point me in the right direction.

Looking forward to pastures new and hopefully joining ranks with the back bone of Britain (and the rest of the world for that matter)

Rob

Hi Rob and welcome. Glad you’ve already read up so you know how it is out there - the good, the bad and the downright ugly!

Best thing to do is to have your medical and get your provisional licence sorted. Also make contact with a reputable trainer who will help and guide you through the whole process so you’re not left at a loose end.

Whatever you do, don’t use brokers. If your’e not sure if a website is a broker just put their name on here and you’ll find out very quickly. Visit the trainer of choice before parting with your hard earned. The exception is to book on rock solid recommendation. What area are you in?

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Peter,

I spent most of last night reading through the post regarding rip off trainers etc.
Are you the Peter Smythe as in the Peter Smythe Training that OnlyAlan posted about, over the moon he had got C, C+E and a job in 7 weeks?
After reading a lot of posts about how tough it all is (which doesn’t put me off in the slightest) it was a good read to know that it’s do-able.

I’m living in Brighton, got a couple of months before I get solid confirmation of redundancy so I will be using any spare time between now and then to find a school/trainer that I’m happy with. My Uncle is in the game too, I’m sure he’ll have some recommendation or know someone who has.

I was getting a little worked up as everything seemed real confusing before I found this forum, put me a bit more at ease.
When my mind is made up on something as strong as it is this, not much can put me off!

Yes he is the same Peter Smythe of PSTT. A fantastic guy. Based in Derbyshire. If you fancy a week away from Brighton, b&b is complimentary with a weeks course.

As Pete said. Avoid the Brokers at all costs. Look into local training companies and get some assessments once you have your provisional back.

Best of luck with whatever you choose. We are here to help. If you need any advice, all you need do is ask.

Dean

Hey mate and welcome to the forum.

Basic advise has been given, as Dar said, any questions just ask, someone will know the answer :wink:

Also good luck with the whole process and tests, let us know how you get on.:smiley:

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

Are you the Peter Smythe as in the Peter Smythe Training that OnlyAlan posted about

Yep!

Based in Derbyshire.

Just over the border in Nottinghamshire - but who cares?!?!

A fantastic guy.

My missus thinks so (I think!)

Dean - cheque in post!

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hello, Trebor - Rob. Welcome to the forum!

It’s nice to know that even though you’ve got redundancy looming over you, that you’re going to use the money as am opportunity to realise a long-held ambition.

That’s great! You can actually look forward to redundancy! :sunglasses:

Try not to blow all your payout on LGV training, consider investing in some further training in your current line of work.

As you will have read on here, work can be a bit sparse, even for experienced drivers at the moment and redundancy payments can disappear very quickly, without income coming in.

Also you may find that although you love truck driving, it may not be the way you want to make your living, so keep your options open.

As Peter says, get your provisional licence and medical sorted, learn and pass your theory, then you’ll be on your way!

Wishing you the best of luck.

LoadsOfHorses:
As you will have read on here, work can be a bit sparse, even for experienced drivers at the moment and redundancy payments can disappear very quickly, without income coming in.

This is the one thing that worries me at the moment.

I’m still sat in llimbo, not knowing whether or not I am actually being made redundant.
There’s nothing else I want to do more than get into the trucking world. I’m not deluded, I know it’s far from a bed of roses.
But the job I have been doing just isn’t for me, I’ve been stuck in an office for 11 years and any longer, I can see me heading for Britains most wanted list on a killing spree :smiley: :smiling_imp:
But, as said, I’m worried about using money to get the licence and then being stuck for work.
It’s not really putting me off as I’m still pretty dead set on getting it done.

And makes me laugh to see a lot of HGV training sites promising work and telling of how there are over 60,000 job postings for HGV drivers in the UK at any one time, but do a search and that doesn’t seem the case.

But, no road is without it’s potholes, still hoping all goes as planned. Will take quite a bit to deter me…

Being made redundant or being laid off is not fun, I should know but it gave me the kick up the proverbial that I need to peruse my dream of getting my lgv licence, welcome to the forum, they are a nice bunch on here and everyone is very helpful if you need any questions answering, exciting looking forward to the challenges ahead. :smiley:

Donna