New Guy

Hello All
Ive been hinging about in the back ground for a wee while now,thought it was about time to introduce myself,so here goes.am 41 yrs old and my names craig, have been working in a factory for 15yrs and been told recently that the company are moving production over to europe ,namely czech republic surprise surprise (£3 an hr)so after doing my husband/father duties and staying with this company so that the bills and kids can get there money(not split up or anything just the usual running costs ) i have decided to follow my dream now and do my HGV up to class 1 with my redundancy money,am just worrying about he job situation after passing my test ,is it really has hard as been seen on a few posts,i come from scotland and if anybody knows of any good agencies etc would be much appreciated

Cheers all

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Some posts are doom and gloom - others are the exact opposite. My guess is that Scotland may not be the best place but that’s only a guess.

I’m a few hundred miles south of you but here there’s no problem getting a start as plenty have posted.

Good luck with it all. Stay away from brokers. Ask all the questions you want.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi there Craig!

As Peter says, stay away from any brokers and you will be ok. There’s plenty of work out there for the right kind of person, so if you get your C+E (old class 1) licence I doubt you will have too much trouble in finding work. (As long as you’re not too far away from civilization! :laughing: ) It might not be very glamourous or well paid to start with, but getting a foot in the door shouldn’t be too much trouble.

I recommend you actually go to as many local training companies as you can and ask questions there. Get a free assessment drive with them and see if you like them before parting with any of your hard-earned!

Good Luck with it, and don’t forget to give us a nice training diary on here to show others how you’re getting on (and to inspire other newbies!)

Cheers!

LJ. :sunglasses:

Hi Guys
Thanks for the replies,i,ll start my diary 0nce i get things sorted,still working just now so wont get my redundancy till later on in the year,am going to do it through Highfield Heavies which has been recommended on here and going to book my medical on friday this week.LjA what is the right kind of person and what would i need to do.

Cheers craig

Hi Guys
Thanks for the replies,i,ll start my diary 0nce i get things sorted,still working just now so wont get my redundancy till later on in the year,am going to do it through Highfield Heavies which has been recommended on here and going to book my medical on friday this week.LjA what is the right kind of person and what would i need to do.

Cheers craig

answer your question whats the right kind of person ::::

Same as any other job :wink: willing to work hard ,positive attitude , able to get on with people , a doer not a slacker ,

In this industry there are many varied jobs to do from , tramping to multidrop , trunking, to name a few , some jobs are easier than others , some are more fun than others depends what your looking for , but being a driver in my opinion has the most options for varied work , when you first pass you may have to put up with a few crappy jobs , a few would say multidrop is hard but depends on your attitude eg you may like to be kept busy all day or you may prefer a trunking job which could involve one drop , waiting around to be reloaded then back to base , tramping you will be away from home it might not suit you as you have a family or it may suit you as u wanna get a break form them lol :wink:

Horses for courses thats what this industry has going for it lots of variation so it may take you a bit of time to find your particular area of enjoyment but there will be a perfect job for u in hgv driving

good luck with it all :smiley:

Jennie:
answer your question whats the right kind of person ::::

Same as any other job :wink: willing to work hard ,positive attitude , able to get on with people , a doer not a slacker ,

In this industry there are many varied jobs to do from , tramping to multidrop , trunking, to name a few , some jobs are easier than others , some are more fun than others depends what your looking for , but being a driver in my opinion has the most options for varied work , when you first pass you may have to put up with a few crappy jobs , a few would say multidrop is hard but depends on your attitude eg you may like to be kept busy all day or you may prefer a trunking job which could involve one drop , waiting around to be reloaded then back to base , tramping you will be away from home it might not suit you as you have a family or it may suit you as u wanna get a break form them lol :wink:

Horses for courses thats what this industry has going for it lots of variation so it may take you a bit of time to find your particular area of enjoyment but there will be a perfect job for u in hgv driving

good luck with it all :smiley:

Thanks Jennie
Yea think i can tick all they boxes ok lol,i know i,ll need to start with the not so good jobs first just for the experience so that doesnt bother me too much as long as i get them,while am on ,thats my medical booked for 31st july so first rung of the ladder so to speak.
cheers Craig

craigmcs:
LjA what is the right kind of person and what would i need to do.

Hey Craig,

Well, basically as Jennie said, you need to show that you’re very capable and eager to do the job. Just put yourself in your would be managers shoes for a few seconds…what would you be looking for in a potential new driver? Just try to give them what they want but without being silly. Be realistic about your capabilities and experiences and always emphasise the good talents you may have (like being a very punctual person etc) and obviously don’t mention the ones you don’t have (like not being able to get out of bed for that 4am start!) That’s it really. He (or she! :laughing: ) will know that you’ve only just got your licence, but some TM’s actually like this because you are less likely to have gotten into any bad habits and will (or should) have a good fresh understanding of the rules & regulations.

All the best mate. :sunglasses:

LJA:

craigmcs:
LjA what is the right kind of person and what would i need to do.

Hey Craig,

Well, basically as Jennie said, you need to show that you’re very capable and eager to do the job. Just put yourself in your would be managers shoes for a few seconds…what would you be looking for in a potential new driver? Just try to give them what they want but without being silly. Be realistic about your capabilities and experiences and always emphasise the good talents you may have (like being a very punctual person etc) and obviously don’t mention the ones you don’t have (like not being able to get out of bed for that 4am start!) That’s it really. He (or she! :laughing: ) will know that you’ve only just got your licence, but some TM’s actually like this because you are less likely to have gotten into any bad habits and will (or should) have a good fresh understanding of the rules & regulations.

All the best mate. :sunglasses:

Thanks LJ your advice is much appreciated mate

Cheers Craig

craigmcs:
Thanks LJ your advice is much appreciated mate

Cheers Craig

You’re welcome mate! I just hope you enjoy the training and more importantly pass first time.

Hi All
Well thats my licence back from DVLA now onto the theory and HP tests which i,ll book at the end of the month,just a question does the theory and hpt done then count towards the cpc and if it does is that just mods 2 to 4 to be done ?

Cheers Craig

Yes Craig!
CPC is Mod 1,2,3,4
Mod 1 Theory and HPT
Mod 2 DCPC Theory
Mod 3 Practical Driving
Mod 4 Practical DCPC
To do Mod 3 Mod 1 must be done
To do Mod 4 Mod 2 must be done
Then refreshers 35 hours within 5 years
You can get “extra hours” on additional courses like ADR, HIAB and so on.

Hang on a minute … The OP is aged 41 so that could mean he passed the car test before 1997 and if so is already under LGV periodic so will not need LGV initial dcpc modules 2 and 4

OP - did you pass car test in UK before 1997 ?

ROG:
Hang on a minute … The OP is aged 41 so that could mean he passed the car test before 1997 and if so is already under LGV periodic so will not need LGV initial dcpc modules 2 and 4

Yes passed my car test in 1989

craigmcs:

ROG:

Yes passed my car test in 1989

No initial dcpc for you - the system will not allow you to book it

You will need to complete all 35 hours of periodic dcpc by 09/09/2014 if you want to continue driving LGVs commercially after that date

If the company you are training with has dcpc hours approved for the practical course then its worth paying a little more to have them

Hi guys
well thats the theory and HP booked for the 20th sept ,so another rung in the ladder has been hopefully stepped fingers crossed :laughing:

All the best Craig I’ve just recently passed my class 2 not sure about doing my class 1 as I’m a little older than you and been driving a little longer and cost me a wee bit of money to get the class 2 but very determined to do hgv work in the near future has been a wee bit of an ambition of mine for a good many years did my training with Jim Mair of kilmarnock as I live in the town it was handy good company to deal with did my training and test over 7 days but was worth it as I past first time all the best and good luck keep me posted cheers

thomasb9295:
All the best Craig I’ve just recently passed my class 2 not sure about doing my class 1 as I’m a little older than you and been driving a little longer and cost me a wee bit of money to get the class 2 but very determined to do hgv work in the near future has been a wee bit of an ambition of mine for a good many years did my training with Jim Mair of kilmarnock as I live in the town it was handy good company to deal with did my training and test over 7 days but was worth it as I past first time all the best and good luck keep me posted cheers

Thanks Thomas will do mate :smiley:

well guys just back from doing my HPT and theory ,and i passed both,so well chuffed :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

craigmcs:
well guys just back from doing my HPT and theory ,and i passed both,so well chuffed :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

We’ll done Craig try and relax when your doing your practical and listen to your instructor and you’ll pick it up very quickly your head will bursting the first day with trying to take it all in and getting the hang of gears,road positioning speed limits ect you’ll b fine keep a diary note on Trucknet of your events whilst learning it will make interesting reading and don’t worry about nerves whilst driving that was my biggest fear but your concentration puts paid to that scenario you don’t have time to be nervous all the best Craig for your practical keep us posted cheers