Just a quick "Hello"

Hello all.

Been reading through the forum for a couple days now. This forum was recommended by a friend who gave a positive review. Seems to be a place filled with experience and advice.

I’ve had my B licence since 2007, got my B+E in 2009’ I should have my C by the end of the week and I hope to have my C+E before the end of the year.

I used to work in the rail industry but started to fall into a rut. I wasn’t getting any job satisfaction any more, I hated the system of working to a bell, I didn’t agree with the way I was treated. Long story short, I hated my job.

Anyway, on a brighter note, I used to be able to travel on occasion to do outside service work with my previous job. The aspect of this part of the job I loved most was the long distance driving, expecially when on my own. I consider myself to be a good and safe driver. I also love driving so a move into the trucking world seems like a smart move.

I’m more lucky than some, I’ve had all my training paid for and I have a foot in the door in terms of work. For the moment I just want to get some experience under my belt, but the idea of long distance work abroad appeals to me. I’m also lucky enough to have few commitments, no children, mortgage, etc.

I look forward to possibly being an active member of this forum.

Welcome to the forums and best of luck with your training mate

Who you training with in Leicester?
DATA
COATES
A1/HUGHES
OTHER
■■?

ROG:
Who you training with in Leicester?..

I’ve done my class C training (and also intend on doing my C+E training) with Automotive Transport Training LTD (or “ATT”) in Hinckley.

automotive-transport-training.co.uk/

I would recommend them, the equipment is in good condition and seems to be reliable. The guys who work there seem like a good bunch too. If I didn’t think they were upto much I wouldn’t hope to go back there for my C+E training.

They have also given me a soft spot for Scania. They seem to get alot of flak on this forum (Scania, that is) but I quite like them. I beleve manyof them have V8 engines and you never forget the car…or, er, truck your learnt to drive in…

Ah, I forgot about ATT which is odd as I worked as a LGV instructor for them during 2005 when they only had what looked like oversized 7.5s (12 to 15 tonners) but I think nowadays they have full sized LGVs?

Hey Dexter. Welcome to the forum. You don’t happen to to drive a fragile little range river do you? :slight_smile:

ROG:
… but I think nowadays they have full sized LGVs?

They currently sport a pair of Scania 94D 300’s for Cat C training, I guess they could also do C+E training too as they have a couple of drags in their yard. They also have a Volvo tractor unit and an arctic trailer that they use for C+E training. I think they are also in the process of looking to buy a newer trailor as their current one has seen better days. I only know of the three trucks, I’m not sure if thats the lot. I guess they could have more hidden away.

Dented:
… You don’t happen to to drive a fragile little range river do you? :slight_smile:

Indeed, I am the owner of said Range Rover. Thanks for all the welcomes.

With so little commitments you should be quite the attraction for an employer. If it’s what you want to do then go for it matey. :slight_smile:

Just thought I would throw in a quick update.

Passed my class C on my third attempt on Wednesday last week. I’m of the opinion that my first fail wasn’t my fault and my trainer is of the opinion that most other examiners wouldn’t have failed me. Second test was my fault, I actually managed to miss my exit on a roundabout on the independant driving, I ended up driving around the roundabout to read the signs a 2nd time. Both tests had one serious, the first with 3 minors and second with 2 minors. So I was rather frustrated.

Anyway, I passed my third attempt with 4 minors, but a pass is a pass I guess. Currently waiting for my new licence to turn up before I can start my C+E training. I figure it’s best to head into C+E now whilst I still have all the test routes and techniques fresh in my mind. Some experience would be nice but with experience also comes bad habbits. I’ve also yet to do my CPC so I can’t head into the working world yet anyway. I plan on doing the mod 2, then mod 4 and then just doing the rest of it in the same week. I figure its best to just get it done and out of the way. I don’t have to stress about it and organise it at a later date then.

I actually overheard a couple of truckers talking in the waiting room at the test centre. One of them seemed fairly insistant the whole CPC thing was going to be cancelled soon by the “government” because so many truckers like him had “no intention of doing it”. Made me smile a little to myself. I guess in the future there may be some new job openings.

Passed my class C on my third attempt on Wednesday last week

:smiley: :smiley:

Dexter-M:
I actually overheard a couple of truckers talking in the waiting room at the test centre. One of them seemed fairly insistant the whole CPC thing was going to be cancelled soon by the “government” because so many truckers like him had “no intention of doing it”. Made me smile a little to myself. I guess in the future there may be some new job openings.

I’ve also heard people say this where I’m working atm too.

I can’t see it being cancelled just because a couple hundred drivers are going to boycott it. Plus is the CPC a EU thing? or just the UK?

And lastly, Big well done on your pass!!!

I also had 3 attempts, on my C+E test. The same as you I feel the 1st didn’t warrant a fail, the second did. Then I got the pass on the 3rd. A pass is a pass so just forget about the fails. I know that’s easier said than done because I was so ■■■■■■ off for weeks after when it happened to me.

LR18-8:
Plus is the CPC a EU thing? or just the UK?

EU

is the CPC a EU thing? or just the UK?

It’s an EU Directive (in others words there’s no choice).

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

is the CPC a EU thing? or just the UK?

It’s an EU Directive (in others words there’s no choice).

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Yeah that was my thinking. I’ve heard people at work saying how the CPC will go in the next year, but we (the UK) can’t just walk out on it if its an EU directive.

I hate all the ■■■■■■■■ you get circulating through drivers. :neutral_face: :neutral_face:

Thanks for the congratulations guys.

Hey congrats :slight_smile: ref the cpc thing. Got a driver with me this evening. Younger than Dave who has his class 1 but no cpc at all yet he’s driving. Done a couple stints for stobbies and been on tippers for the last 2 years. We are in a 10t curtainsider and he’s driving now…

Dented:
Hey congrats :slight_smile: ref the cpc thing. Got a driver with me this evening. Younger than Dave who has his class 1 but no cpc at all yet he’s driving. Done a couple stints for stobbies and been on tippers for the last 2 years. We are in a 10t curtainsider and he’s driving now…

Probably won’t be after he gets pulled over and his details are checked.

Thanks for that info :slight_smile: