Jct 13 M1

I don’t go to MK very often but went twice quite recently,on the 1st occaison on approaching the roundabout I indicated right and pulled into the RH lane and I
nearly had someone on the inside lane who was also going towards MK.
On the second occaison I decided I would use the inside lane and nearly had the front of my unit taken out by somebody using the outside lane.
Question what lane do YOU use?
What is the correct lane to use?
I always thought that if you were turning right you should use the RH lane at roundabouts but mabye you know different.
As a matter of intrest both of the other vehicles involved were trucks!

I’ve been in exactly the same two different situations like yourself.

It’s been a while since I’ve been off there but isn’t the inside lane marked as straight on and right on top of the motorway bridge or am I mistaken :question:

If it isn’t marked on the road or elsewhere then I’m not sure. The problem there lies in that straight on is actually left technically, as the first “exit” isn’t an exit as it’s the ramp up from the M1N, therefore the MK exit is technically straight on where, under normal circumstances, you would go straight on in the nearside lane.

It is a death-trap junction and you need to be on the ball, preferably with good use of indicators so that other folks at least know where you’re going :exclamation: :open_mouth:

i don’t know the area,so i won’t comment on that particular one.there will be guys on here that know the area well and they will help you out.but it would depend on the size of the r/bout,is it got lights on it are they going to hit the trl as i go round on the inside so therefore i’d hog a part of the middle lane or is it marked on road that both lanes can be used to go right.

we have this at the r/about at the 4th road bridge,as you approach you go into 3 lanes,inside lane you can either bear of left towards edinburgh or go straight on towards queensferry,middle and outside lanes are both marked up to go right,i always use middle lane with my right indicator on as some car drivers especially tourists don’t realize that once i start to indicate left to exit r/about towards the bridge i have a set of lights on the edge of the grass verge on my near side and if your too close then there’s a chance my trl would make contact with them as it’s tight on the exit.

i have seen artic’s and rigids that go in the inside lane to go onto the bridge and i will always hold back as i know that they will get into difficulty if i came upside them due to the lights on that inside lane.lostpup will know what i’m on about here.

so if i was you mate i’d generally hold back slightly as you know what you want to do,the driver of the other trucks might be there first time on that r/about.i know that ain’t an excuse for them but it’s better to be safe than sorry. :wink:

If its at all possible, ‘take control of the situation’ yourself.

By that. I mean that, you do not let other road users dictate to you where or how you approach or pass through this junction.

I agree, it does mean that you may have to straddle the lanes and possibly cause confusion to the othet drivers, but, if you are ahead of them at the time, then it is they that have to react to your ‘controlling’ position.

As far as a convenient route through the junction is concerned, the white lines do not exist, they were put down as guidelines only.

Its all part of ‘progressive driving’, maintaining a flowing technique that really does benefit all.

Yes, you should indicate your direction with indicators and ‘position’ but keeping slightly left or right will block their route through sufficiently to keep you and yours safe…

Hope this helps.

Terry

This is a good post because it shows the need for further instruction to drivers.
The Road markings and signs are there to guide. All those years ago when I was taught to drive, I was taught if you were turning right, you use the right hand lane, If you are turning left or straight on then you use the left lane.

Basically if youre exit is past the 12. o clock position on the approach you use the right lane. I was also taught to hog the centre marking while going round to block the lane slightly. However If you do this nowadays you will probably get shot or stabbed. :frowning:

In this particular case i would decide whether I was going to hang back for the truck or go for it. Lane markings are there as a guide only, unless they are solid which means you shouldnt cross them.

Sometimes if there are two Articulated vehicles trying to negotiate a roundabout the lanes are not wide enough. So one has to hang back :exclamation:

Its called professional driving :stuck_out_tongue:

Just to further illustrate the points given, how often do you see ‘Police’ vehicles indicate where they intend to go…?

They are taught to ‘position’ their vehicle in such a way as to remove all confusion as to the direction they intend to go. An indicator is just used to confirm their direction in less ‘clear’ situations.

In insurance terms, how often do they ask (on claim forms) for a diagram showing the exact position of the vehicles involved…?

You have all heard of the rule, ‘Possession is nine tengths of the law…’ Well, lets adjust it slightly for our purposes… ‘POSITION is nine tengths of the law…’

Terry

what you said about the 12 o’clock rule wheel nut, is the way i am being taught at the moment mate :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for the replies,I was coming from the Bedford direction both times.
For those of you who don’t know this jct useing the clock analogy at 12 o clock is the road to Woburn,at 1 o clock is the road to MK and at 2 o clock is the slip to the M1 northbound.All in all a nasty jct.

I know it well, it is a busy junction, with all the trucks going for fuel and greasy breakfast. Like has been said, Position is king. you control the traffic and dont get forced into a lane you dont want. That roundabout is not the norm with the lights been so close, plus the shape of it

margatemafia:
what you said about the 12 o’clock rule wheel nut, is the way i am being taught at the moment mate :laughing: :laughing:

Are you sure? Paragraph 162 of the Highway Code mentions Turning Left, Turning Right, and Intermediate Exits. The DSA video explains that anything between 10 o’clock and 2 o’clock should be treated as Straight Ahead. i.e. Appropriate lane and signal accordingly.

I do, however, agree with the comments about “Controlling the space around your vehicle”.

Big Piggy:
Just to further illustrate the points given, how often do you see ‘Police’ vehicles indicate where they intend to go…?

I’ve been trained to drive “blue lights”, a similar course to the Police (EFAD 1 and 2 - Emergency Fire Appliance Driving), spending two weeks blatting around Leics, Shrops and WMids in a Sierra, then two weeks blatting around in a fire engine (PRL). We were taught that you only “indicate your intentions” (stick the indicator on) if it is of benefit to other road users.

Wheel Nut is quite correct when he said road markings at junctions are for advisory purposes only. He is also correct when he said that anything after 12 o’clock on the marker board should be considered a right turn, I was taught this on both EFAD and HGV 1 courses.

I wish others would indicate left when exiting a roundabout - you know to give me a clue so I can get the beast moving - really ■■■■■■ me off trying to find a gap when it’s busy.

Another one is when they are indicating right to show they are going round it then bloody well pull off left while still indicating.

HOW GOOD’S THAT LOT■■?

Bad day today - really bad

yes krankee i am mate, but i will have a word with dave and pass on your comments and see what he says mate :laughing:

ticker:
on approaching the roundabout I indicated right and pulled into the RH lane

jayzus, are they getting that big now they get their own lane?! stobart’s will be getting jealous :laughing:

jj72:

ticker:
on approaching the roundabout I indicated right and pulled into the RH lane

jayzus, are they getting that big now they get their own lane?! stobart’s will be getting jealous :laughing:

:laughing: Took me a while to figure that one out but I get it now. Not bad :exclamation: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

only scabby tilts allowed… :unamused: :wink: