ive had enough

im from glasgow , and i have passed my test a month class 2 , ive tryed every agency nobody wants to know , ive been round every company and nobody wants to know , im for scrapping this as a bad idea this hgv , anyone anymore ideas , im going to scream , ive handed out 0ver 50 cv , to haulage companies :imp: :imp: :imp:

Sorry hun , but thats the way it is just keep repeating what ya doing and go back to same companies when your cv top of pile they may just take a quick peek and go in in person ready to go boots hi viz gloves in car if they have a guy whos just rung in sick 5 mins ago and your there ready to go well u never know , u may get that lucky break but if you give up u might have missed that chance by not going in :bulb:

good luck with the job hunt , jobs are hard to find in all walks of life at mo not just driving i hope you get that break soon

Jen x

thanks jen , dont know what to do :frowning:

If it really is a brick wall for you and LGV driving jobs at the moment then is there something else you could do until the magical 2 years or whatever is reached?

Are you under age 25? - if yes then that can be another barrier

so your defeated in a month…really shoulda looked into the idea more tbh this is what happens with no experience and a wet licence. its a catch 22.

craigiej:
thanks jen , dont know what to do :frowning:

Get somebody to lend you a time machine & switch the dial to 10 yrs. ago before the Commie block invaded UK & you will find plenty of trucking jobs.

Other than that do as Jennie says.Go round personally with your driving gear & they will see that you are fit & not workshy. In these difficult times you gotta sell yerself as a good thing.

CV’s are a recent web invention for truckers,I have never written one out, it used to be word of mouth. I tell a lie ,I wrote out one CV when I was bored & living in London & went for a bus test & failed altho driving HGV for years. The guy who passed didn’t drive on the road but managed to break every rule in the book while still in the depot. Needless to say he was an Indian wearing a bowler hat & carrying a rolled-up umbrella ,not joking he didn’t have a clue. I was glad I failed ,those old buses were terrible things to drive & I had no intention of leaving the truck game. I failed because of the CV,btw.

Just keep at it. It will happen eventually!!

I had my licence for 4 1/2 months before I was given a chance.

How are you with CV and covering letters? I’d be happy to take a look over them for you if you’d like. A second opinion always helps. If you’d like me to have a look PM me and I’ll give you my email.

Keep visiting hauliers and submitting your CV everywhere!

Just stick at it. Iam in glasgow (glesga) to and to get started did vans then 7.5 then once proven got on the class 2s. I took a wee bit of time but its just the way it is. Dont get me started how long it took to get on the artics lol

thanks everyone , im working just now so the bills are getting paid , but i thought even an agency would take me :blush: :blush:

even though its xmas youve only had your licence a month. they have alot more experienced drivers who have been on their books for longer.

also after xmas dont expect any calls for ages or any work. its the way of agencies unless your their golden boy.

thanks again guys !!! nearlythere what company are you with in glasgow â– â– ? i

im with manpower but been with them for like 5 years.basically only work at one place with them now which is good.

gogzy:
even though its xmas youve only had your licence a month. they have alot more experienced drivers who have been on their books for longer.

also after xmas dont expect any calls for ages or any work. its the way of agencies unless your their golden boy.

^ This

But dont give up yet I went back on the vans as it give me a job

R

craigiej:
thanks again guys !!! nearlythere what company are you with in glasg
â– â– ? i

Hi bud ive found Taskmaster (motherwell) to be ok also Manpower. You’ll find its mostly multi drop but its a start. Best of luck

Don’t be disheartened,there isn’t much you can do apart from what you’ve done,sign with some agencies,go knocking on doors…maybe small firms you may have a better chance with and tell them you are willing to drive vans,3.5,7.5 anything really,you get the gist and if you can do short notice make sure you tell em.

A lot of it is the ‘green’ factor but you have to remember that you are an unknown quantity to them and the two things make people nervous…wouldn’t it you? Soooooo any experience in any vehicle will be good for you and after all,even in times past the old hands will tell you that a lot of them spent time as a 2nd man or worked their way up…tis the way of life.
God listen to me,I didn’t mean this to be a lecture but just this one more thing,your reputation and attitude to the job will follow you,maybe not now but maybe in the future,it did me and helped me when I needed it most.

Good luck

Billy Bowie take on new drivers fella but he’s down my way in Kilmarnock - he isn’t employing atm and I’m next on my list so if you want to wait then feel free. :smiley:

Considering its dead in Glasgow at the moment too…

Try Falkirk/Grangemouth areas or consider your C1 - the amount of work increases rapidly. No one uses rigids up here! (other than puddle jumpers)