Its boxing day- Here is my rant

And every year tradition demands that I provide a drunken rant

So rather the dissapoint… here is this years,…

A few people take delight in knocking this website, they dont like the policies and the way its managed, Well that is their opinion, 99% of professional drivers who use this website really dont care, they want to discuss their industry, talk about old times, and debate the future.

Wether those who knock us like it or not, TruckNet UK has evolved from a hobby website into part of the main stream transport media. Drivers views from here are read and listened to at the highest echelons within our industry.

TruckNet UK this year (Jan 1st to today) received over 6.25 million page views, by far the largest on-line community of UK profesional drivers on the internet. All the credit for that goes to the drivers who post opinions, questions and debate transport issues, and to the volunteer moderators/admins who ensure the content is valid and frresh.

There are now a number of other websites in the same area, each has their own different flavour, many members here are users of them, and each website caters for its users in a different manner. that is the beauty of the internet, that each individual taste can be catered for.

In this next year we are looking forward to moving TruckNet UK to a new software package, a new website designed to give you, the user what you want,
This move will not happen unless we can take with us, your username, password, and all the existing posts from when this forum was started.

The move last year to become part of the same family as Commercial Motor, Truck and Driver, Motor Transport and Roadtransport.com was a scary one.
On a personal level it meantgiving up ownership of something I had nurtured from a baby, a hobby that had evolved into something that took all my time, money and energy., while I am sure that some will still criticise that decsion
a 50% rise in use of the website, a huge investment by the new owners, and an ongoing commitment by the volunteer staff shows that drivers needed a place on the web to call thier own.

TruckNet UK will continue to be the place for the proffessional driver on the web, and that is only becuase YOU the professional driver uses it, Your content, your input and your views make TruckNet UK the success it is

On that note is I wish each and everyone of of you reading this a happy and successful new year

Good on you Rikki.
I like this site,it has helped me no end from Steel Erector to newbie to miserable know-it-all moaning trucker that I am today.

It would be nice though if things that were put on here did make a difference i.e the lack of secure parking/truckstops and the situation with more and more closing down etc being just one of the issues.
seems like we are the lowest of the low scumbags who nobody seems to take notice of,and although this is true to some drivers who really dont do the reputation of us any good,the majority of us are just doing an important job the best we can to make a living,sleeping in a tin box all week away from are families.

I for one wish you,your family and all the people that make this site possible all the best for the future.

you’re definately getting old, call that a rant?
i’ve had more heated agreements with you than that in the past :wink:

I think this site will eventually be the one that counts as more posts are highlighted in the main transport journals. Almost any transport manager or company will receive a copy of Motor Transport or Comical Motor.

The things that affect drivers are discussed in great detail in these threads, normally at the end of the thread there is enough good information to make an informed decision.

Im pleased that I have spent time learning from it

biggusdickusgb:

Totally agree :wink: :wink:

But I have learnt a lot over the last few years and made many friends due to this site, had some good debates as well along the way

A lot of support especially over the last year you know who your are many thanks

As I said to me old mucker Terry the other day … if I want a serious and CORRECT answer to a question I come here. If I want a good laugh and a bit of banter I go to his site. and if I want to see how the other half live in their own little cocooned world I go to Mr Tozers.
I have no order of preference (actually I do … sorry, Mr Tozer but there are some right eejits on that site) but see each site in its own niche. If everybody did that then there would be no arguements.

TheBear:
As I said to me old mucker Terry the other day … if I want a serious and CORRECT answer to a question I come here. If I want a good laugh and a bit of banter I go to his site. and if I want to see how the other half live in their own little cocooned world I go to Mr Tozers.
I have no order of preference (actually I do … sorry, Mr Tozer but there are some right eejits on that site) but see each site in its own niche. If everybody did that then there would be no arguements.

animal:

biggusdickusgb:

Totally agree :wink: :wink:

I’m inclined to agree this year, I always looked forwad to this post as I knew it would make me smile, everybody knowing it was a rant, Rikki letting off steam, usually drunk but very enjoyable reading because of it.

Sadly this years rant seems to have turned more into a mission statement for the next year.

There is nothing wrong with this, I just don’t think it has been done with the drunken emotions of previous years, and is poorer because of it.

But Trucknet is still my no1 transport site, read daily, and hope it continues for the improvement of all.

:sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Rikki-UK:
TruckNet UK has evolved from a hobby website into part of the main stream transport media. Drivers views from here are read and listened to at the highest echelons within our industry.

Jesus Christ i hope not, i may very well of made myself almost unemployable !!!

I would like to thank Rikki-UK and all the other members of this website for a daily informative read.
In my current job I find we are often un aware of what goes on in the wider road transport industry. I find by reading this website it gives me a greater insight to what goes on out there in the real world.
Long my this website continue to flourish.

Keep up all the good work :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Seasons Greatings RIkki

TheBear:

Don’t you be coming on here trying to stir up trouble with sensible and well thought out posts. :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

Well said Bear.

On a personal level i have always found the site helpfull,informative and a good laugh at times!
So i can only wish the staff and the people on here all the best for the next year

Without this site, and the words of wisdom and experience from members, i would without doubt have dropped some serious clangers when i was new to the industry.
For instance i was never taught tachos(ex army) everyone on here has been helpful and proffesional, guided me and ultimately helped me in my goal to become a proffesional driver. :smiley: :smiley:
Rikki, you are a credit to the proffesion, long may it(trucknet) and you continue.

as rikki says 99% of drivers dont care about the way things are run on this site GREAT but the 99% dont seem to care about the way there treated either
financally or when they cant find somewhere to park up or when they do get a parking space the slop there fed (with an attitude) the price or the fact that the load will be lighter in the mornining rikki do us all a favour forget the suits in charge have a rant

Hey, that’s pretty well spelt, laid out and written for a drunken rant. I don’t think you’ve drunk enough. Some more perhaps :smiley: :smiley:

Rikki-UK:
Wether those who knock us like it or not, TruckNet UK has evolved from a hobby website into part of the main stream transport media. Drivers views from here are read and listened to at the highest echelons within our industry.

I would not normally bother commenting on your yearly rants, but don’t go giving yourself or the site delusions of grandeur, this site is not part of the mainstream transport media, its a forum, always has been, always will be. Thats all, no more no less - you get basically free publicity in CM as you are owned by the same group, you get a weekly write up of whats been mentioned on the boards over the previous week, that normally has more spin on it then a gyroscope. as for the 2nd sentance in the above paragraph about the “highest” etc, etc, that is pure fiction, they may well take quick peak, but if you really believe that they read what is being said you are either a fool or deluded. It all sounds to me like the big bosses keep feeding you the same old corporate BS, and you are swallowing as much of it as they can supply.

Now no doubt you have facts and figures to back all this up, but as we all know there are lies, ■■■■ lies and statistics, I have seen and heard it all before.

Just look at your advertisers at present, not really driver oriantated are they? How many drivers get to choose their own trucks? So that rules out Isuzu being a serious advertiser. How many drivers buy or supply their own tacho’s? Not many, so Tachodiscs advertising is a bit wasted then!!! That leaves LOADS and T&D, and one of those is part of the same company!!! So in reality the advertising on the site is a waste of time - and how long before the first 2 realise this (if they have not already) and cease to use this form of advertsising - but to be honest I think they are probably either getting the adverts for free as part of a bulk deal or very cheaply and have been sold it on false promises!! I mean who here is really going to buy an Isuzu? Not that they are a bad truck, but not really OD or fleet motor are they?

Basically, time to come back to earth, the site was set up by drivers for drivers, that ethos has changed over the years - not for the better, you are now trying to be something you will never achieve, you can’t, there is not the market for it - what can you really advertise to LGV drivers that they will actually buy? the odd magazine (and not a particularly good one at that), a truck that has such a small % of the UK market it is really insignificant (although personally I quite like the one I have been in), a tacho supply company that would really prefer to supply to your boss (and they are overpriced compared to their competition) or a website for loved ones!!! Great mix you have their on this MAINSTREAM TRANSPORT MEDIA, it just shouts high quality to me - where do I sign up to advertise!!!

The site used to be good, it used to know what it was and be happy at that - then it decided it wanted to be more - it won’t be, it will only ever be the sum of it’s posting members and the more rules, regulations and conditions that are imposed to try and bolster the advertising the worse it will get.

Give it another year or so and Reed will get bored, they will have a change of Directors and the new one will want to see the site earning it’s keep, as soon as it’s realised that that won’t happen it will be dropped, and you will be back to where you were. Sometimes things can’t move forward as there is nowhere for them to go no matter how hard you push them, the wise realise this and move on to a different road, the foolish keep pushing until they fall flat on their faces!

I presume the above festive post is by Ebeneezer Scrooge (merchant banker) who wants to run down the work done by all the Bob Scratchitts (clerks) on this site who nurture, teach and help drivers young and old to keep up with the regulations & news in the transport industry.

All the topics discussed here are sooner or later used in the printed media. Why is it such a problem that the owners of the printed version also own this site?

Most of the time I can find out about new regulations or laws by logging onto TrucknetUK. I dont expect any more from a UK Professional drivers forum, but in this case there are thousands of interesting threads, pictures, advice and general humour.

I think you kid yourself that the higher echelons of management do not view this site. And advertisers are still advertising, it doesnt cost you anything to write or read the forum unlike many others that are around on the internet.

To me the links between Commercial Motor, Motor Transport and T & D and this site only bring benefits.

The site used to be good, it used to know what it was and be happy at that - then it decided it wanted to be more - it won’t be, it will only ever be the sum of it’s posting members and the more rules, regulations and conditions that are imposed to try and bolster the advertising the worse it will get.

At least everyone is entitled to their opinions on an open forum :smiley:

I suppose the bottom line of it is that, like reading T&D or Comical Motor, logging on to TNUK is not in fact a compulsary activity. Like everything else in this world, if the majority are happy with something, that’s great. The rest have other options. :wink:

Oh, and you’ll be disappointed to hear that the site is already paying it’s way. Sorry. :stuck_out_tongue:
(Speak to the relevant Department at RBI for details)

I agree with smcaul.
Funny how many on this thread end up with rikki’s poop on there nose.