Its boxing day- Here is my rant

Wheel Nut:
I presume the above festive post is by Ebeneezer Scrooge (merchant banker) who wants to run down the work done by all the Bob Scratchitts (clerks) on this site who nurture, teach and help drivers young and old to keep up with the regulations & news in the transport industry.

As their managers should be doing you mean?

Wheel Nut:
All the topics discussed here are sooner or later used in the printed media. Why is it such a problem that the owners of the printed version also own this site?

I think you will find it is mostly the other way round, maybe you are just further behind then most!!!

Wheel Nut:
I dont expect any more from a UK Professional drivers forum, but in this case there are thousands of interesting threads, pictures, advice and general humour.

Ah, here we have my point, the stuff TN was originally set up for you mean?

Wheel Nut:
I think you kid yourself that the higher echelons of management do not view this site. And advertisers are still advertising, it doesnt cost you anything to write or read the forum unlike many others that are around on the internet.

Umm, not many transport related sites that cost money that i can think of? Maybe you are looking at different types of “Paying” site then I? As for senior management reading this site, i really think you need to get real, I work with a lot of senior management, I know lots more of them, not one of them reads this site - but then maybe it’s just my choice of acquaintances being not the norm, eh!

Wheel Nut:
To me the links between Commercial Motor, Motor Transport and T & D and this site only bring benefits.

Or a biased set of views!

Wheel Nut:
At least everyone is entitled to their opinions on an open forum :smiley:

So long as you view the site without the use of proxies! Oh thats right, that is a form of censorship in it’s own right isn’t it!

Lucy:
I suppose the bottom line of it is that, like reading T&D or Comical Motor, logging on to TNUK is not in fact a compulsary activity. Like everything else in this world, if the majority are happy with something, that’s great. The rest have other options. :wink:

Indeed, but not all change is for the better, and that is what has happened!

Lucy:
Oh, and you’ll be disappointed to hear that the site is already paying it’s way. Sorry. :stuck_out_tongue:
(Speak to the relevant Department at RBI for details)

Shocked I would say rather then disappointed, all I can think of is that the running costs of the site are very low if 4 advertisers can make it run at a profit!!!, Maybe you could make even more money by selling your business model, or may be you do another good line in turning water into wine, or feeding the 5000 :laughing:

smcaul:

Lucy:
I suppose the bottom line of it is that, like reading T&D or Comical Motor, logging on to TNUK is not in fact a compulsary activity. Like everything else in this world, if the majority are happy with something, that’s great. The rest have other options. :wink:

Indeed, but not all change is for the better, and that is what has happened!

According to you and a vocal minority of others who only ever appear to complain. The majority disagree. That’s the point! :wink:
Given the above, if you don’t like it, why bother with it? The majority are perfectly happy, and as long as that remains the case, it won’t suddenly change just to suit a tenacious few. :unamused:

smcaul:

Lucy:
Oh, and you’ll be disappointed to hear that the site is already paying it’s way. Sorry. :stuck_out_tongue:
(Speak to the relevant Department at RBI for details)

Shocked I would say rather then disappointed, all I can think of is that the running costs of the site are very low if 4 advertisers can make it run at a profit!!!, Maybe you could make even more money by selling your business model, or may be you do another good line in turning water into wine, or feeding the 5000 :laughing:

There’s the rub, SMCaul. It isn’t our business model any more. I will happily hold my hands up here and now in public and admit that our business model was a pile of complete and utter crap. So crap, that we were forced to either give up or sell up. We went with option B so as to get on with what we are tried and tested as being successful at - building and maintaining the community - and leave the business stuff to people who know what they are doing! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Trust me, as businesspeople me and Rik made great wagon drivers… :blush:

All of which is why you’ll have to speak to the peeps at RBI if you need to know more, because it’s sure as hell beyond me…I only know what I’m told and am passing it on to you… :grimacing:

Having never met Rikki or even spoke to him, Im not sure that the post by Gurner was intended for me. Even if it is though. I am definately not brown nosed deer. :stuck_out_tongue:

I just dont understand why a certain few who obviously have a much better idea for a drivers website dont set one up. A few have tried but nothing has tempted me to leave this one for the reasons set out already. As its a public forum we are allowed to have our own opinions.

If something transport related happens on a Thursday, it will not be in the printed Commercial Motor for at least a week. It can be posted on here immediately and will get lots of replies, some of which will be true, some factual, some false and some humerous. By then I have sorted those out and decided which one is the correct answer before going to bed.

There are other transport sites that either need registering with or are pay sites which have all the details that attracts the spam that many complain about.

I dont mean the ■■■■■■ spam. I know I only get that because I look at ■■■■ :smiley:

Im a member of IRU. I have a current copy of Croners. I subscribe to the HCB Tank Guide. I do buy Commercial Motor and have done for over 30 years.

My management friends are probably better read than yours and I haven’t a clue about proxy servers or what you want to hide.

If you went out for a meal and it was poor, would you keep coming back telling all the diners how bad it was, or would you find somewhere new to frequent?

I hate this pub, it’s smelly, noisy and dirty and the beer tastes like the strainings from the Ghandi’s flipflop. The landlord is an ■■■ and the barmaid is rude and can’t pour a decent pint to save her life. The decor is ugly and the toilets would make a tramp blush. There is nowhere to sit down, no dartboard, no pool table and no SKY TV. Theres no car park and even if there was I wouldn’t want to leave my car here incase it gets nicked because this pub is in a rough area.

Originally, this pub was set up as a nice wine bar but thats all gone out the window now since the new landlord took over. Personally, I just can’t see how this pub pays its way and it’s a shame. Some would say I should mind my own business and if I don’t like it I should go and drink somewhere else.

To them I say “two pints please barmaid”. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :smiling_imp:

This is the only drivers’ site I ever use - I’ve got nothing against any of the others but I don’t have the time to keep up with this one, let alone more.

I’ve stuck with this one as I have only been in the industry for 5 years, and I’ve learned and continue to learn a hell of a lot. Also I enjoy the banter and the sense of humour of some of the posters as well as some of the raging battles. Some remind me of Jeremy Clarkson - I think a lot of what he writes and says is a load of ■■■■■■■■, but I love the way he says it :laughing: Some, like that coffee fella, are quoted almost daily and have kept me out of trouble so far. Sure, there are some who can be aggressive or stirrers, but am I bovered :question: :wink: If I don’t like the direction a thread is taking I stop reading it.

Admin have made bad decisions as well as good ones; I have yet to find any organisation which is perfect. Let’s face it, we work in one of the most wasteful and at times disorganised industries going (how many empty trucks could be carrying backloads for a start) but nothing I can say will change it. Maybe someone higher up will get some ideas from here, maybe they don’t give a ■■■■ what we think, but at least we can discuss it if we don’t upset the mods. OK, it’s their site, so they make the rules. None of us are forced on here. If they ■■■■ me off I’ll leave - simple.

If anyone’s still reading all I can add is Rikki - if that is a drunken rant someone’s been watering down the scotch :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Happy 2008 to all on TNUK - admin, contributers and silent readers.

Gurner:
I agree with smcaul.
Funny how many on this thread end up with rikki’s poop on there nose.

Yep especially the one’s with high posting numbers oh and you lot got some on your chin too :unamused:

gardun:
This is the only drivers’ site I ever use - I’ve got nothing against any of the others but I don’t have the time to keep up with this one, let alone more.

I’ve stuck with this one as I have only been in the industry for 5 years, and I’ve learned and continue to learn a hell of a lot. Also I enjoy the banter and the sense of humour of some of the posters as well as some of the raging battles. Some remind me of Jeremy Clarkson - I think a lot of what he writes and says is a load of ■■■■■■■■, but I love the way he says it :laughing: Some, like that coffee fella, are quoted almost daily and have kept me out of trouble so far. Sure, there are some who can be aggressive or stirrers, but am I bovered :question: :wink: If I don’t like the direction a thread is taking I stop reading it.

Admin have made bad decisions as well as good ones; I have yet to find any organisation which is perfect. Let’s face it, we work in one of the most wasteful and at times disorganised industries going (how many empty trucks could be carrying backloads for a start) but nothing I can say will change it. Maybe someone higher up will get some ideas from here, maybe they don’t give a ■■■■ what we think, but at least we can discuss it if we don’t upset the mods. OK, it’s their site, so they make the rules. None of us are forced on here. If they ■■■■ me off I’ll leave - simple.

If anyone’s still reading all I can add is Rikki - if that is a drunken rant someone’s been watering down the scotch :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Happy 2008 to all on TNUK - admin, contributors and silent readers.

Well I’m surprised you got that passed the censor :laughing: and most of my drunken rants would have a hell of a lot of profanity in them lets face it everyday conversation has it to some extent but not on here hey.Thats why its Soooo unlike real life absolutely boring I only come in here to see who you lot are slagging off today :smiley: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

hammer:
I hate this pub, it’s smelly, noisy and dirty and the beer tastes like the strainings from the Ghandi’s flipflop. The landlord is an ■■■ and the barmaid is rude and can’t pour a decent pint to save her life. The decor is ugly and the toilets would make a tramp blush. There is nowhere to sit down, no dartboard, no pool table and no SKY TV. Theres no car park and even if there was I wouldn’t want to leave my car here incase it gets nicked because this pub is in a rough area.

Originally, this pub was set up as a nice wine bar but thats all gone out the window now since the new landlord took over. Personally, I just can’t see how this pub pays its way and it’s a shame. Some would say I should mind my own business and if I don’t like it I should go and drink somewhere else.

To them I say “two pints please barmaid”. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :smiling_imp:

Best post on this thread. Sums it up rather neatly, to my mind. :wink:

Oh…And keep quiet about the watering of the Scotch will ya? I’ve got to live with the bugger if he finds out… :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Is Swordtail the one with the scooter?

TonyS:

No, thats Dave, Scaniaman 2005. And he’s a DJ !!

Thats alright then.

TonyS:

You What I have a tricycle I’ll have you know :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

lucy stop watering the mans WHISKEY thats a sin you will burn in hell :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I will anyway, mate, of that you can rest assured. :sunglasses:

hope its the cheap scotch your watering down , not the decent scotch :smiley: that would be a waste