Is this correct ??

Is this correct ■■

EU Directive 2003/59 imposes the requirement for compulsory basic training of 280 hours as well as periodic training of 35 hours every five years to update drivers’ knowledge and skills.

Road Transport.com

280 hours ?

say 8 hours a day, that’s 35 training days !!!

looks like a big driver shortage after Sept 2009 :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Think of the positives though Denis - we’ll all be RICH! :smiley: :sunglasses:

Hmmmm… 280 hours of training - I might just get the trainees to get use to the range change gearbox :exclamation: :wink: :wink: :slight_smile:

The 280 hours was in the original proposals for new drivers under 21 years of age. Over that age it dropped to 140 hours.

Initially it was decreed that they could not ‘be used in roles concerning the Commercial Activity of a company’ but that was later dropped.

I was under the impression that existing drivers have until 2014 to qualify for the cpc that comes into place in 2009 for LGV and 2008 for D1. to my mind there will be a lot of agency drivers affected by this as they will unless by prior arangment with the agency’s be forced to pay for the so called supervised training and the theory and practical test.

It maybe that I have misunderstood all of the elements but having spoken to a few fellow agency drivers this is something that concerns them going forward.

Bubble:
I was under the impression that existing drivers have until 2014 to qualify for the cpc that comes into place in 2009 for LGV and 2008 for D1. to my mind there will be a lot of agency drivers affected by this as they will unless by prior arangment with the agency’s be forced to pay for the so called supervised training and the theory and practical test.

afaik thats correct, anyone with a LGV licence before Sept 2009 ( or Sept 2008 for PCV) gets a Drivers CPC by acquired ( or Grandfather) rights , you then have 5 years to do the 35 hours training!

We have to take 35 hours training within 5 years??Will this mean another bloomin test to pass!!! :open_mouth::slight_smile:

TEL.

no test, i wish people would stop jumping to the conclusion that there will be a test, even my transport manager tried to disagree with me a while ago, when we were talking about the upcoming CPC and i said there will be no test.

All those with a C1, C, CE licence before the implementation date will acquire the CPC automatically, and then will have till 2014 to complete 35 hours training, in minimum blocks of 7 hours each time. Then 35 hours training, every subsequent 5 years.

If you leave the industry and let your CPC expire, then come back to it, you will only have to do the 35 hours training to redeem your CPC, again there will be no test.

Common sense dictates that the implications of having a test just would not work.

So, no test people, no test :wink:

Thanks for the quick informative reply WildGoose :slight_smile:

TEL.

So driver training could be a boom industry come 2014 either that or not enough firms to get the drivers through the said cpc.

really confused now. this training is it theory or driver training?

can some one explain if you dont mind.

A) do you have to get behind the wheel and do 35 hr driving.?
B) is it theory based?
C) whats the difference between driver CPC and operator CPC?
D) what happens if you come out of the trade like i have do you lose the licence I have PCV and LGV will i lose these if i dont wish to drive a truck or bus no more?
E) C1 is mentioned does that mean I will get it coz i drive ambulances now?

F) how do you obtain the grandfather rights if you not work for a truck or bus company?

I’m totally confused.

You don’t lose the entitlement if you don’t do the CPC, it’s just required if you want to continue working as a PCV / LGV driver. I’m sure the ‘grandfather rights’ are based solely on when you passed the test and have nothing to do with employment status.

discoman:

Not without coffee breaks, I hope!

But whos going to pay for this, yeah stupid question I know!
If its 35 hours well you can safely assume 28 hours possable driving and the other 7 classroom/video etc.
So whos going to pay for each driver to have a truck diesel etc for that.
The training companys are about to be millionaires. LOL
Or can a approved Instructor come along to your place of work for a day or week at a time and go round with you on your day job thus you and the firm keep working.

discoman:

B) is it theory based?
C) whats the difference between driver CPC and operator CPC?
D) what happens if you come out of the trade like i have do you lose the licence I have PCV and LGV will i lose these if i dont wish to drive a truck or bus no more?
E) C1 is mentioned does that mean I will get it coz i drive ambulances now?

F) how do you obtain the grandfather rights if you not work for a truck or bus company?

I’m totally confused.

I will try my best to answer as much as I can for you.

A) Dont know
B) Dont know again, possibly bit of both A and B
C) Alot, just the clever sod who named decided to confuse some by calling it a CPC
D) You have until 2014 after which if you havnt done the CPC I would presume your licence gets suspended.
E) Dont know
F) You gain grandfather rights by already having your licence, wether you use it is irrelevant.

Your LGV licence won’t get suspended if your “drivers CPC” expires. Think of the CPC as an add on - the licence allows you to drive, the cpc allows you to do it for money. Okay, so unless you’re into vintage/show trucks, horses etc. that’s not a lot of use but worth pointing out before people start thinking they’ll need top retake their LGV test if the CPC runs out!

Some one like me that drives part time occasionally is basically screwed as no one will pay for my training.

I will just have to stop by 2014 but retain my licence rights.