Is 'mandatory' 12hr a day normal, typical, standard

A lot of good advice, and real world experience regarding the job on here today.
It’s different for everybody, and you do what suits if you can find the right job.
Typical day for me might be.
5am start, up the forest to be loaded with round wood. Travel iro 150 miles to tip at mill, stow log pins, sweep off, travel 20 miles to reload with tote bags of material, sheet and rope up, then back up the road as far as poss till my time is out, or I get tired.
I usually do 60 hrs or more in 5 days, with an occasional few hours on aSaturday morning.
At 68, I’m getting on a bit, but still enjoy it, and make very good money indeed. (O/driver since 1978)

We all require different.

We’ve got drivers at our place who’ll threaten to walk…if they don’t get 60 hours+dark money,every week.
Can’t blame them really…dark money,alone pays the mortgage.
If I were a younger man…I’d probably be the same.
Then we’ve got older drivers,who are happy with basic salary.
Crack on…whilst you’re young,so that you don’t have to,later on in life.

Mostly in hire and reward the hours are longer and the pay generally encourages such hours.

Own account, which is rare these days tends to better pay for more reasonable hours, though anti social hours may well be the case even if the hours are relatively short.

Done my share of 60 hour weeks over the years, luckily seeing my time out on own account averaging 40/43 hours a week, those jobs do exist its a a case of finding one and then looking after it so it lasts.

Swordsy:
The big thing with your working day is how many hours do you actually drive or do hard work?

really, that’s a fairly sad criteria. Time spent at work is time spent at work, time spent not doing the things you want to be doing. My biggest ‘‘thing’’ is how many hours I’m committed, counting from the time I leave the houes until the time I get back. It amazes me how people will dismiss commute times when comparing jobs; they’ll take an extra hour daily travel for £20-50 more per week??

ETS:

Swordsy:
The big thing with your working day is how many hours do you actually drive or do hard work?

really, that’s a fairly sad criteria. Time spent at work is time spent at work, time spent not doing the things you want to be doing. My biggest ‘‘thing’’ is how many hours I’m committed, counting from the time I leave the houes until the time I get back. It amazes me how people will dismiss commute times when comparing jobs; they’ll take an extra hour daily travel for £20-50 more per week??

When Im at home I often sit watching netflix with the wife in the evening. So how is it sad im being paid to do it ‘at work’ ? Im also of the belief that once you are at work what difference does it make if its 9,10,11 hours, your day is still pretty much taken up by work, so Id rather get the 2 hours a day overtime for watching tv than being at home watching tv. And my commute is 5 mins. Work location is massively important to me. I would never take a job that involved a drive of over 30 mins unless my whole financial security depended on it.

If I could work 13 hours a day for 4 days id much rather do that and have 3 days off a week. Any day you are at work, that day isnt really your own whether its a 9,10,11,12 hr day.

Swordsy:

ETS:

Swordsy:

When Im at home I often sit watching netflix with the wife in the evening. So how is it sad im being paid to do it ‘at work’ ? Im also of the belief that once you are at work what difference does it make if its 9,10,11 hours, your day is still pretty much taken up by work, so Id rather get the 2 hours a day overtime for watching tv than being at home watching tv. And my commute is 5 mins. Work location is massively important to me. I would never take a job that involved a drive of over 30 mins unless my whole financial security depended on it.

If I could work 13 hours a day for 4 days id much rather do that and have 3 days off a week. Any day you are at work, that day isnt really your own whether its a 9,10,11,12 hr day.

You often spend time watching Netflix with the Mrs, so you might as well get paid to sit in a lorry and do it on your own. And that’s not sad?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I get that the motor doesnt earn when standing idle. Why cant driver 1 go out at 06 AM and come back at 15.00 then driver 2 takes it out and comes back about 23.00 . This wouldnt work with a long distance outfit obviously but lots of us hardly go more than 100 miles from base. I have a life and want to see family and fish ,walk in the hills etc. Other people seem to manage.

Swordsy:

ETS:

Swordsy:

Rather, be at work than with wife, I wish I was in your shoes… I would do anything to be in the company of my ex now …. Yet sad individuals would rather give up home life for an employer.

Obviously id rather be at home than at work, as i said in rather working 4 days a week than 5.

Unfortunately, most of us need to earn money to pay the ridiculous bills we now have for energy, shopping etc.

My point was, id rather be getting paid a good wage to watch netflix for part of my day than actually doing hard graft. I am not in a position to not work, and my wife only works part time for the NHS so Im the main earner. If my shift was 8 hours long, Id get a far worse wage, and what would I do with those extra 3 hours at home? Watch tv probably, or sit on my laptop writing banal comments on a truck forum :slight_smile:

Swordsy:

ETS:

Swordsy:

Exactly. I work 4on-4off. I often max my hours (paid by the hour), but it’s only 4 days, then 4 days off. I do prefer to night out, what is the point of doing a long day at work, then going home just to sleep? I get an extra £300. A good balance in my opinion.

I do 5 days, contracted to 48 hours, no nights out. Sometimes we might do a 12hr occasionally a 15hr if we’re really busy. If work is slack we might do 8hrs but still get paid full as its salaried. I don’t mind OT as I like having a bit of extra cash to put away for a rainy day or to help my kids out. I’m also lucky that my outgoings are low so I don’t need to chase money. I’ve been with the same firm for 14 years and driving for them for 8. Been on class 1 since September and to be fair, I really enjoy it…I think I must be a bit weird :smiley:

I think what this thread has highlighted is how many variations there are in this job. You have jobs that run max hours and jobs that don’t. Jobs that are hard graft and jobs that are easy. Jobs that are day shift, night shift, 4 on 4 off, Monday to Friday, Sunday, to Thursday, Thursday to Monday and just about every other combination you can think off. There are jobs trunking, home delivery, delivering fuel, delivering food, bulk tippers, etc, etc. My opinion is that if you are not happy with your job, be it the hours, the days, the type of work or whatever then look for something different. With so many options you should be able to find something that works for you. If your chasing the money then a tramping job running max hours might suit. If you’ve got a young family then day shift delivering to one of the supermarkets might be better. Whatever works best for you. Just don’t stick with a job you hate when there’s so many options available.

Blackadda1:
I think what this thread has highlighted is how many variations there are in this job. You have jobs that run max hours and jobs that don’t. Jobs that are hard graft and jobs that are easy. Jobs that are day shift, night shift, 4 on 4 off, Monday to Friday, Sunday, to Thursday, Thursday to Monday and just about every other combination you can think off. There are jobs trunking, home delivery, delivering fuel, delivering food, bulk tippers, etc, etc. My opinion is that if you are not happy with your job, be it the hours, the days, the type of work or whatever then look for something different. With so many options you should be able to find something that works for you. If your chasing the money then a tramping job running max hours might suit. If you’ve got a young family then day shift delivering to one of the supermarkets might be better. Whatever works best for you. Just don’t stick with a job you hate when there’s so many options available.

Or to make things simple, join the DVLA. You get paid without having to attend work or really do any work from home. 7 days off per week, hard to beat that

SubZero:
First hello all,

Been driving for 3 months class 1 and I don’t have much experience and I have only worked for my current employer.

I work Mon to Fri and with the system they use i get 12hr+ days no less. Getting paid per hours so that’s a plus.

My intention is not to rant but ask is that typical and everywhere is the same or you work/worked in places where had shorter days or mixed.

I ask as I want to make sure this is right job for me.
I never complained about my shifts always do what I am asked to however if most/all places do 60+hr per week i might do it for few years and decided where to go next.

Thank you in advance for any feedback and have a good day!

Yard shunter jobs tend to have set start, finish and shift duration times

I’ve just changed jobs last week .

I was running chep pallets about before 12quid an hour , old Renault premium . Doing between 54-60 hours a week and every other Saturday . Plus a bonus a day and only earnt 35.5k this time .

On containers now . Salary at 34k plus a fuel bonus and retention bonus along with a 20 plate actros so a big upgrade . Last week I started at 5 on Monday was home for half 12 . Tuesday I started at 7 back at half 3 . Wednesday I started at half 7 back home at 4 and Friday was 6-4 .

Only my first week but it’s an amazing upgrade even if it’s a grand a year less I’ve never had so much sleep and feel great !! Sharing a unit with a night man so I always need to be back for him to start his shift

Dransy:

I was running chep pallets about before 12quid an hour , old Renault premium . Doing between 54-60 hours a week and every other Saturday . Plus a bonus a day and only earnt 35.5k this time .

On containers now . Salary at 34k plus a fuel bonus and retention bonus along with a 20 plate actros so a big upgrade . Last week I started at 5 on Monday was home for half 12 . Tuesday I started at 7 back at half 3 . Wednesday I started at half 7 back home at 4 and Friday was 6-4 .

Only my first week but it’s an amazing upgrade even if it’s a grand a year less I’ve never had so much sleep and feel great !! Sharing a unit with a night man so I always need to be back for him to start his shift

Is that typical of containers? I’m getting 11-14hr days doing supermarkets and fancied trying container work, was told most container work is long hours but with plenty of downtime. Don’t mind long shifts but with my current work I’m knackered after a 12+hr day because I spend a lot of time loading and unloading pallets and cages

Dransy:

This is what I was banging on about in an earlier post. The truck can work and so earn around the clock, just with different bums on the seat. I cant understand people wanting to do two weeks work most weeks.

alamcculloch:

Dransy:

This is what I was banging on about in an earlier post. The truck can work and so earn around the clock, just with different bums on the seat. I cant understand people wanting to do two weeks work most weeks.

Double shifting a truck is economically a no brainer, but logistically not possible unless there is a large chance in which logistics work.

Some are trying it. Regular loads from West of Cardiff are difficult to deliver reliably to usual places like East London or the East Midlands RDC’s, so my previous employer has day and night shunters taking loaded trailers from to Newport and empties back, whilst day and night drivers do the deliveries onwards.

To make that work nationally, needs a lot more co-operation.

RC88:

Dransy:

Is that typical of containers? I’m getting 11-14hr days doing supermarkets and fancied trying container work, was told most container work is long hours but with plenty of downtime. Don’t mind long shifts but with my current work I’m knackered after a 12+hr day because I spend a lot of time loading and unloading pallets and cages

11-14hrs on supermarkets :open_mouth:

I do ten maximum on a long day :laughing:

You will have to put up with it or leave…the driver hours are stuck in the 1960s…and with cameras and digi tachos they will want as much work as possible.In the days of log books and a pen it was more flexible shall we say