What are your typical hours?

Hi
I am considering doing my class 1 license and just trying to do some research to find out if this kind of work is for me.
My children are all grown up so I don’t have to worry too much about getting home late but just trying to get a good idea of what kind of start and finish times drivers do?

I appreciate that jobs and hours vary hugely depending on what you are doing but if I can get a bit of a snapshot of what people do that would be super helpful :slight_smile:

I currently only work 1 Sunday per fortnight in the HGV industry, for a supermarket. The minimum expected for this shift is around 10 hours, starting between 6am and 9am. Depending on the run you get, this can easily turn into a 12 hour day. The longest shift I’ve done so far was 14hrs 45 minutes, so almost at the limit of what can be worked in a day.

As you say there’s a huge range of options
The problem with most driving jobs is the mentality of the management that see the max hours as a target and expectation of their drivers.

As long as you have a backbone and are prepared to say no you can pretty much find what you want after a few years.

I currently work 9 hour shifts that sometimes turn into 10,11, 12+ hours, there’s always something happening on the roads to screw with your day… But that’s transport :unamused:

Simple answer is 50 hours a week as a minimum basis assuming working 5 days or nights.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

I average just under 43 hours a week, shifts though not a normal working week, early starts but never before 4am, some days finished by midday but typically between 1 and 3pm not very often i see the evening peak period driving home unless somethings gone badly wrong.

There seem to be more drivers looking for work again because i notice 4 on 4 off jobs appears to be disappearing to be replaced by 5 on 3 off for very similar pay.

All depends on what work is in your area, supermarket deliveries tend to be shorter hours but with odd start times, general hire and reward transport typically means longer hours and can involve nights away.

There’s something to suit everyone in the industry, but you may have to take whatever you can get until you get some time and proven record behind you before you are in the position to pick and choose.

I normally start 08:00 and finish between 16:00 and 17:00 but this week I’m starting at 06:00 because we have a driver on holiday and as there are only four artic drivers where I am we all muck in a bit when someone is off. Like everybody else I’ll occasionally get a day that goes pear-shaped and get back later.

Personally I work 4 on 4 off starting at 1800 and finish at 0600 permanent nights. That’s on the milk collecting from farms. Yes I probably could shorten my hours but I’m paid by the hour and like to just do my 4 x 12 hours so I earn the same each week.
Obviously as others have said every job is different. Builders merchant you’ll be doing 8 til 5 mon to fri and tramping you’ll be starting as soon as you’ve had 9 or 11 off. Supermarkets are the odd ones with 2am starts for example. I don’t think I could program myself to get up at that time of day

I start at 5 am ish, no set time.
Normally finished by 2pm.
Job and knock.

Ames:
Hi
I am considering doing my class 1 license and just trying to do some research to find out if this kind of work is for me.
My children are all grown up so I don’t have to worry too much about getting home late but just trying to get a good idea of what kind of start and finish times drivers do?

I appreciate that jobs and hours vary hugely depending on what you are doing but if I can get a bit of a snapshot of what people do that would be super helpful :slight_smile:

You do have to worry about getting home late at night as you should be having your tea at a sensible time , not a bloody cold sandwich at 10/11 pm or a Burger King from the services , before you jump in with both feet and have a look at the state of 99 % of lorry drivers , I recently spent a while in Boston hospital , there were 4 beds in our little room , the chap next to me was a tramper until he had to pack up with his health , the old chap who was on his last legs was another ex - lorry driver , says it all
If you’re healthy I’d stay in the job your in .

Ames:
Hi

Average working week in haulage is 55hrs, maximum week is 84hrs. Maximum working day is 13hrs which can be extended to 15hrs three times a week. Most jobs on days are typically starting or finishing around 4-6am with an 11-12hr shift. Basically forget planning any social activities or after work hours on days you’re working because it doesn’t take much to add an unplanned 2hrs on to your working day. Unlike a regular job where when you get to your finish time you go home, in this job you keep going til you get back to base or you run out of legal hours and end up nighting out wherever you get to. Turning round and coming back because you were supposed to be finished by 5pm but you’re not going to make it is not an option if you want to keep your job.

Conor:

Ames:
Hi

Average working week in haulage is 55hrs, maximum week is 84hrs. Maximum working day is 13hrs which can be extended to 15hrs three times a week. Most jobs on days are typically starting or finishing around 4-6am with an 11-12hr shift. Basically forget planning any social activities or after work hours on days you’re working because it doesn’t take much to add an unplanned 2hrs on to your working day. Unlike a regular job where when you get to your finish time you go home, in this job you keep going til you get back to base or you run out of legal hours and end up nighting out wherever you get to. Turning round and coming back because you were supposed to be finished by 5pm but you’re not going to make it is not an option if you want to keep your job.

Make it sound so appealing!

07:00 till 17:00 Mon-Fri no weekends or bank holidays and all of Christmas off. Finished at 18:20 yesterday and 18:25 today so a bit of overtime. I’m only on £11:34ph though and £14:47 on O/T non ADR rates, 1hr deducted for break. It’s only until I have enough experience plus funded ADR as I’m thinking of doing the tankers.

My hours average 40-42 per run of shifts. 4 on 4 off nights. Start between 17.30 and 20:00. If I’m out for 12 hours one night it’s usually made up for with an 8 or 9 hour run the night after.
Day lads on Monday to Friday however 12hr+ days are regular.

Currently averaging approx 10.75 hours per day.

I do Sunday-Thursday, start around 0900, and finish at 1730.

Joys of supermarket work!

dozy:

Ames:
Hi

You do have to worry about getting home late at night as you should be having your tea at a sensible time , not a bloody cold sandwich at 10/11 pm or a Burger King from the services , before you jump in with both feet and have a look at the state of 99 % of lorry drivers , I recently spent a while in Boston hospital , there were 4 beds in our little room , the chap next to me was a tramper until he had to pack up with his health , the old chap who was on his last legs was another ex - lorry driver , says it all
If you’re healthy I’d stay in the job your in .

Going up in the world with a cold sandwich doze thought it was a can of lilt and an orange most nights while the Mrs is having steak on a Friday night all on her lonesome :laughing:

Start at 7pm and finished around 2am at the latest. 4 nights a week and off every weekend. Wages aren’t the greatest tbh, around £730 gross but I’m in the job more for the hours and not the money. Time off at my age (55) is more important than chasing the coin

Start at 5 finish at 15 00. 5 on 3 off 28 days holiday a year.
Lot better than when was tramping having nights out…home every day about 15 30 never had so much time.at home for a long time
Plus opportunity if wanted work rest days or extra hours on shift paid at time and half.
Alough not always guaranteed extra hours but don’t bother me can cope withy basic pay

It depends on the sort of job you do, retail/supermarket work drivers start anytime of the day. Where I work, they have drivers start on every hour 24hrs a day 7 days a week. My start time is round lunch time and I tend to do between 55-60 hours a week. Times suit me but it’s not for everyone.

md1987:
Make it sound so appealing!

Better to give them the reality check than have them spend thousands getting a licence then binning the job never to return a few months in.