Is it worthwhile doing C+E straight after C training

Hello all,

Would very much like some input from the drivers on here please (especially anyone who has recentley passed their C+E).

Waht does everyone think of doing C+E training straight after doing C training?

I haven’t started training yet but would like to know whether to put aside finances for C+E training when I do my training.

I know that as a potential employee it would look great having both categories on my license but as it has been menioned in a lot of threads before, newly passed C+E find it hard to get a job on the artics due to lack of experience.

I’m 30 years old so above the lowest threshold for insurance purposes but have no experience of commercial driving though I have driven a fair distance in the car and have been driving for 11 years now - whether this matters or not I do not know.

Does anyone think you should do the C+E or do you think I should wait and do a year or two on the C class trucks before doing C+E training? I’m looking for the most viable solution.

Many thanks.

First year experience as a newbie after passing CE (with pics)
hope it helps

hello, i am in the same positionas yourself, i was speaking to some haulage companies last week and they all said to do class 1 if finances allow because you are still in training mode and less likely to pick up bad habits hope this helps and good luck with your training :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Thanks for that ROG - I’m continually on here looking for hints and tips, much appreciated.

Cheers jonny74 - that does actually make a lot of sense :slight_smile: thanks for that

Looks like it will be C then C+E

Thought this may also be of interest
Class 2 to Class 1. Was it all it was cracked up to be?

All the LGV TRAINING TIPS for CE ARTIC, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature below :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I got my C 2 years ago and couldn’t wait to do my C+E, my opinion was that everything I’d learned would still be in my head and I wouldn’t have picked up any bad habits - it might work for some but it didn’t for me, after failing three C+E tests I gave up as the cost was starting to get rediculous.

Now? I’m just starting to get myself organised for another go at the C+E after about two years of driving class 2 for agencies. I’ve picked up some bad habits - hand rested on the gearstick and coasting up to junctions mostly. But I’m hoping the experience will help me too; I dont have to think about gears anymore, it’s second nature now and I think having got used to the things other road users do and being able to predict the majority of these situations will help as will being used to driving something big (to a certain extent).

The choice is yours at the end of the day, personally, I’m pleased I’ve got some experience that might help me along now and I think it was a mistake for me to rush into it.

As you’ve already set aside the money I can’t see any advantage in delaying once you’ve passed the C. The point mentioned about being in “training mode” is valid; it’s perfectly possible to pass the CE with little if any C experience.

Thanks ROG - enjoyed reading that.

Thanks for your input and darkseeker and mrpj - think I’ll wait to see what the assessment drive holds before I comit to C+E

Best of luck on your C+E test darkseeker, really hope you get it this time :smiley:

:smiley: You too fella, whenever you go for it.

Want2Truck:
Hello all,
Would very much like some input from the drivers on here please (especially anyone who has recentley passed their C+E).
Waht does everyone think of doing C+E training straight after doing C training?
I haven’t started training yet but would like to know whether to put aside finances for C+E training when I do my training.
I know that as a potential employee it would look great having both categories on my license but as it has been menioned in a lot of threads before, newly passed C+E find it hard to get a job on the artics due to lack of experience.
I’m 30 years old so above the lowest threshold for insurance purposes but have no experience of commercial driving though I have driven a fair distance in the car and have been driving for 11 years now - whether this matters or not I do not know.
Does anyone think you should do the C+E or do you think I should wait and do a year or two on the C class trucks before doing C+E training? I’m looking for the most viable solution.
Many thanks.

In response to the OP, IMHO it depends on what is around you. If there is more jobs on,for example, class 2 with FLT then personally I would look at doing the FLT as it would give you more of a chance of work. You can then re-save back up from the wage and look at doing the C+E.
From my own personal experience, it was worth doing back to back (well once the licence came back from the DVLA…yada yada). I did some drives on agency work but not that many. I got taken on by a firm for a class 2 multidrop position, explained to them that I hadnt had my licence long. Did a week on the rigids and got called into the office on the Thursday morning. Naturally I thought I was for the high jump but the conversation was the opposite…
“Ben, we have a problem”
“What did I forget on my drops yesterday” I joked
“Its not that, we have a position on class 1 thats opened up for this coming Monday. If I remember correctly your CV said you have a class 1 licence yeah? Would you be interested?”
“Hellllllllllllll yeah!!!”

So I had done 3 days in this new job and already I had been promoted onto the big boy toys! Im not saying its going to be that easy but its nice to have that catergory on the licence incase the opportunity arises to use it.

As has been said many times before, I think it is defenatly worth doing, one you a still in training mode and two there are more jobs for class 1 well in my area any way. If I had the choice would be going for it straight away but will hopefully get my class C and some work and save up for the class 1.

Good luck with what you decide to do mate.

It took me 2 years to do my class one, had I done it straight after my class 2 when my dad went on at me about it I would of been in a better situation regarding work now. That being said it is not worth doing if you dont have the money “spare” so to speak. If you do then crack on, you will find it just as hard getting a job on either class 1 or 2 so might as well make it difficult as a class 1 driver :smiley:

if the funds are there then go for it as you are still in trainin mode, although depends when you start your Cat C & when you have your test to then book your C+E as you dont really want to do your trainin to far into the year as test get cancelled due to weather ( this is from experience )

ROG:
First year experience as a newbie after passing CE (with pics)
hope it helps

I am chuffed that you are using that diary to help other new drivers.

Thank you :smiley:

and in reply to the O/P - Speaking from experience, i couldn’t get any work at all with my Class 2 license, then 6 months later did my class 1 and pretty much walked straight into my current job. So i’d say it was worth getting, it gives you more options

Just want to say thanks to tonka236, Big Brummie Macca, OllieNotts, animal and C-Kay for your responses.

I think you guys have finally made up my mind, C+E it is (…after I get round to doing C).

Thanks for all your help and advice, its always appreciated.

It was a good post C-Kay, really enjoyed reading that.

C-Kay:
I am chuffed that you are using that diary to help other new drivers.

Thank you

Don’t thank me - I and others (see next quote) thank you :smiley:

Want2Truck:
It was a good post C-Kay, really enjoyed reading that.

Your post is one of those reasons that this site is so popular

Good luck mate, if you do it all in one go now You defo won’t regret it long term.
Good luck :slight_smile: