Is It Always Like This

moomooland:
Yes afraid it always like this.

It’s allegedly called ‘The UK Professional Drivers Forum’ but when you look at some of the posts you cringe with embarrassment. :blush:

It is as though many questions are being asked by 6 year olds who don’t understand the meaning of basic common sense.

The reason for this is because we are not allowed to use common sense anymore, it went out with H&S at Work and similar legislation.

The world and his wife know more about how we should do our job, or so they think. They are also fond of telling us as well.

We are governed by so many rules and legislation that we don’t have the time to think for ourselves anymore and if we did we would probably upset someone somewhere.

nick2008:
The only thing you really get taught is how to pass a test everything else is learnt on the job

Exactly this. The driving schools teach you to pass a test, be it the driving practical or the CPC. If you get lucky and fall in with a decent employer straight off, you might get a week with an experienced hand but still the amount of legislation and regulation you have to remember in this line of work means you won’t be able to remember it all.

Fincham:

moomooland:

It’s allegedly called ‘The UK Professional Drivers Forum’ but when you look at some of the posts you cringe with embarrassment. :blush:

It is as though many questions are being asked by 6 year olds who don’t understand the meaning of basic common sense.

The reason for this is because we are not allowed to use common sense anymore, it went out with H&S at Work and similar legislation.

The world and his wife know more about howw we should do our job, or so they think. They are also fond of telling us as well.

We are governed by so many rules and legislation that we don’t have the time to think for ourselves anymore and if we did we would probably upset someone somewhere.

Although I do agree with you, that only applies if you conform to what they ask.
If I was ‘‘not allowed’’ to use common sense, I would jack tomorrow.
The ones who try and tell you how to do the job can be shown up in their incompetence if you are clever enough.
Do as they say to the letter no matter how ridiculous, until it invariably goes ■■■■ up …(aka giving them enough rope to hang themselves) Then when it does, the buck stops with them.
Use the 'rules and regs’to your own advantage, then when they are shown up not to work having a detremental effect on getting the job done, they change them.

Full blind subservience just plays into their hands, use their incompetence and your experience and knowledge of the job, (which is sometimes greter than theirs :bulb: ) to your advantage, …not to theirs.
Do not as you say stop thinking for yourself, as this just plays into their hands,.
Oh!..and certainly do not give a ■■■■ about as you say, ‘‘upsetting’’ these types of absolute tossers in the job.

happysack:

Rikki-UK:

die hard:
Just joined and was looking at all the posts is it always like that, its like half of the people dont have a clue what there are doing and a selcect few do, I have never seen a job where most of the people in that job have not got a clue.
Mabey i am reading it wrong but thats the way it reads to me its looks like a lot of the posts needs help just to get through the day and someone to tell them they are doing it right, i have never seen so many people in the same job not know how to do it how do they get a licence.

Maybe you should ask the question with your other username - after all its been around a while and made quite a few posts… :wink: :wink:

Just tell us all who it is. I’m guessing the super duper tesco shunter.

I’ll help you all to narrow it down a bit by saying it wasn’t me .

robroy:

Fincham:

moomooland:

The world and his wife know more about howw we should do our job, or so they think. They are also fond of telling us as well.

Although I do agree with you, that only applies if you conform to what they ask.
The ones who try and tell you how to do the job can be shown up in their incompetence if you are clever enough.
Do as they say to the letter no matter how ridiculous, until it invariably goes ■■■■ up …(aka giving them enough rope to hang themselves) Then when it does, the buck stops with them.
Use the 'rules and regs’to your own advantage, then when they are shown up not to work having a detremental effect on getting the job done, they change them.

Full blind subservience just plays into their hands, use their incompetence and your experience and knowledge of the job, (which is sometimes greter than theirs :bulb: ) to your advantage, …not to theirs.
Do not as you say stop thinking for yourself, as this just plays into their hands.

As an “old timer” I do that, however the newbies are the ones that have the dilemma, that is why they ask questions and hope that you and I can point them in the right direction. With luck they will also manage to think for themselves in time.

Fincham:

robroy:

Fincham:

moomooland:

Do not as you say stop thinking for yourself, as this just plays into their hands.

As an “old timer” I do that, however the newbies are the ones that have the dilemma, that is why they ask questions and hope that you and I can point them in the right direction. With luck they will also manage to think for themselves in time.

Don’t get me wrong mate, I regularly and willinglly help new lads, that is how I learned the job, by listening to old hands.
The ‘listening’ bit however is the key, some will never have a good life in this job today, nor think for themselves in terms of knowing when the ■■■■ is being taken, but will always bend over with parted cheeks to the delight of their employers.
The ‘‘Friday’’ and ''Getting moaned at ‘’ threads on here by the same guy are a classic example, but I do genuinely hope he is not typical of today’s young newbies, and that he personally sorts himself out.

Must be a first 25 replies a mention of pantaloons and a ■■■■ tube and no sign of Dipper Dave lol :smiley:

die hard:
Just joined and was looking at all the posts is it always like that, its like half of the people dont have a clue what there are doing and a selcect few do, I have never seen a job where most of the people in that job have not got a clue.
Mabey i am reading it wrong but thats the way it reads to me its looks like a lot of the posts needs help just to get through the day and someone to tell them they are doing it right, i have never seen so many people in the same job not know how to do it how do they get a licence.

You pass your test in one type of truck but there are so many types of truck. Automatics, manuals, a mixture of both. Many different sizes. Many different loads. Many different driving environments.
Many different employers all with their own take as to how drivers should be handled. The list goes on and on.
All the time, drivers will come up against things they don’t know about. Things that they have not come across before. The industry is constantly changing. There is a mix of old and new vehicles to contend with, new rules and regulations popping up all the time. Of course there are drivers who haven’t got a clue about somethings. It’s the nature of the job.There are so many variables.
This site is an invaluable resource for all drivers. There is always something a driver doesn’t know. It’s a constant learning curve. There may be some seemingly stupid questions that some others with more experience may find blindingly obvious. But if a driver doesn’t know something, however obvious the answer might seem. that person can come here and get the answer to their questions.
There are a great bunch of people on here only too willing to help out others.

die hard:

People don’t ask for help if they don’t need it, therefore you see a lot of people asking for help.

Its not "A Job", its a range of different jobs, most of them requiring an LGV licence tho.
Id say the skillset required to be a good Hiab rigid driver on domestic deliveries for a builders merchants is different to that for a good long distance trunk driver. A good driver can move between the two sure, but the mind set and attitude to work can be different. Someone who wants to be home every night isnt going to happy getting under a trailer going to a tip 2000km away. Someone who wants to get going and see Europe isnt going to happy queuing in traffic and talking to a customer about where to drop their 8 bags of sand in front of their terraced house with no garden. I tend to one side of these choices, but many drivers change as their home circumstance change. A young newbie may start on an agency, then get a start on a company. Maybe he/she will want to do the distance work. Later on with a family the option of locals and home every night is better. Asking questions when considering changes is a good use of this forum. Then of course, some will have an LGV licence who need instructions on how to walk and chew gum at the same time. Theyve always been there and always will be there, but are in the minority.

James the cat:

Rikki-UK:

die hard:

Maybe you should ask the question with your other username - after all its been around a while and made quite a few posts… :wink: :wink:

Please tell me it’s Dozy. Please

Uncle Albie?

Come on Rikki tell us?

Big Joe105:
You pass your test in one type of truck but there are so many types of truck. Automatics, manuals, a mixture of both. Many different sizes. Many different loads. Many different driving environments.
Many different employers all with their own take as to how drivers should be handled. The list goes on and on.
All the time, drivers will come up against things they don’t know about. Things that they have not come across before. The industry is constantly changing. There is a mix of old and new vehicles to contend with, new rules and regulations popping up all the time. Of course there are drivers who haven’t got a clue about somethings. It’s the nature of the job.There are so many variables.
There is always something a driver doesn’t know. It’s a constant learning curve. .

Everything you have written there mate (apart from what I have edited out) was just as relavent and applicable when I started way back in 1979,… nothing has changed for a new driver today in that respect.

However, history may have blurred my memory and/or it may be a rosy glasses situation, but that in mind I do not remember as many incompetent f/whits as what there are in the job today, both as newbies AND those with a few years supposedlly ‘‘experience’’,
Glad to say, and observe though, that there are still many good ‘proper drivers’ in both categories thankfully, so not all bad.

When you are out training to aquire a vocational license you are out there paying for the priviledge of driving and that truck is earning revenue for its operator. Its a very different scenario when you expect to go out driving in the commercial (real) world. Ask away on here find out how to load a nd lift the tipper or the best way into a customers premises.Just about every other class of worker is not out there on his jack hoping for the best.

My grandad who has been a huge influence in my life decisions always said “There is no such thing as a stupid question! There is only a stupid answer” everyone has to learn and the only way to learn is by asking questions, you can stand there all day trying to figure something out for yourself or you can put away your pride and ask someone who knows.

Problem is today, not everyone is helpful.

All newly qualified drivers go out with a mentor for two weeks before going solo with our company, in that time they are encouraged to ask questions, we have found this system works both ways, we get to know if our new employee is competent and enthusiastic and they get to learn how our company works and how we treat our customers! all our cabs have a sticker on the dash that says “It’s easier to ask than walk on blindly”. (papa our founding fathers moto)

die hard:

You clearly don’t need grammar and punctuation to become a master of HGV driving!

DaveTheMinion:
My grandad who has been a huge influence in my life decisions always said "There is no such thing as a stupid question!

No?
Have a look at my list, there are at least 2 which appear regularly on here, and that is NOT even including the broken bottle. :smiley:

goshow:

die hard:

You clearly don’t need grammar and punctuation to become a master of HGV driving!

Well to be fair mate, you are right, no you don’t. :neutral_face:

robroy:

DaveTheMinion:
My grandad who has been a huge influence in my life decisions always said "There is no such thing as a stupid question!

No?
Have a look at my list, there are at least 2 which appear regularly on here, and that is NOT even including the broken bottle. :smiley:

:smiley: I disagree, how did you learn that broken glass is dangerous, did you get cut or did someone tell you. :stuck_out_tongue: it’s all learning, however they one who got cut feels more stupid than the one who didn’t try it because he was told it would be stupid. anyway Im off to get this glass removed before I sit down :stuck_out_tongue:

DaveTheMinion:
:smiley: I disagree, how did you learn that broken glass is dangerous, did you get cut or did someone tell you. :stuck_out_tongue: it’s all learning, however they one who got cut feels more stupid than the one who didn’t try it because he was told it would be stupid.

Call me mr boring, as a boy I don’t think I first learnt broken glass is sharp because I tried wiping my bottom with it. I probably cut my finger on it.

I know this doesn’t apply to a lot of people but my rear end didn’t feature on the list of personal tools for “testing and experimentation”. My fingers had that job. Hence I superglued my fingers together and not my backside

Confused about that broken bottle question, can I or can’t I?
Quick reply required please, I have got a quarter of a turd dangling and it’s starting to crust, do I go for the Andrex ‘Shea Butter’ toilet roll or the broken bottles?
Oh and it’s a front to back wipe isn’t it? Got it wrong last time and ended up with some doo-doo on my sack.