Whats with this 2 year experience and insurance

Now I realise that we all need to start somewhere and this topic may have come up before.

I am a newly qualified Class 1 driver. I have tried numerous agencies to get a job, but I always get the you need 2 years experience etc. Which is a great idea :unamused: How in Gawds teeth do I get this wonderful experience if no one want to take you on. Even the companies I did my Class 2 driving no longer call me as I have a Class 1, go figure that one out. One said I don’t have a licence :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: So cant show it even though I am on their books.

Does this mean I have wasted my money■■? Sold my bike for nothing■■?

All I want to do is drive, getting to old for Multi-drop to boot.

Any ideas from a mature newbie driver?

Thanks

Its not 2 years ‘experience’ but in most cases its 2 years of ‘having the category on the licence’

at least you will not have the under age 25 issue :smiley:

Ps - WELCOME

ROG:
Its not 2 years ‘experience’ but in most cases its 2 years of ‘having the category on the licence’

at least you will not have the under age 25 issue :smiley:

Ps - WELCOME

True and thanks for the welcome. Just bloody annoying, more so that I know someone who had not driven class 1 for 14 years, did 1 day refresher, scared the hell outta me (I was learning, sharing the driving for the day) he did no reversing practice etc, and he only got a job. Now what the bloody difference, I let my licence go when I left the Army in 92. Go figure…

it really comes down to luck TBH, only good thing its coming to crimble so your luck mite change as agency gets desperate to fill work and the 2 year gets kicked out the window

hope you have sum luck :wink:

Woodmeister:
I let my licence go when I left the Army in 92

Did you have a CE (old HGV class1) at that time?

ROG:
Its not 2 years ‘experience’ but in most cases its 2 years of 'having the category on the licence

most now ask for cheakable work history for last 2 years or the other one is must have driven in the last 180 days or sumthing along those lines :confused:

get some cv’s done and get them out there, can only help aswell

smallsie:

ROG:
Its not 2 years ‘experience’ but in most cases its 2 years of 'having the category on the licence

most now ask for cheakable work history for last 2 years or the other one is must have driven in the last 180 days or sumthing along those lines :confused:

As plenty of companies are going bust then how would a prospective employer check if you said you worked for one of those ?
… walks away whistling …

But this 2 years experience is not a new thing btw I was told this in 1979 when looking for work

Most places do like to be able to check you work history so be careful

Did you do your licence in the army :question:

Have you done any of the cpc yet :question:

ROG:

smallsie:

ROG:

As plenty of companies are going bust then how would a prospective employer check if you said you worked for one of those ?
… walks away whistling …

so that would count as no checkable history :unamused:

ROG:

smallsie:

ROG:

… walks away whistling …

Not quite so easy with digi tacho & you mush carry the last 28 days tacho on analog :unamused:

It’s nowhere near the problem for a haulier that it’s made out to be, all that would happen if I employed someone with less than two years experience is that the insurance company would increase the excess from £500 to £1,000 for that driver.

It’s nowhere near the problem for a haulier that it’s made out to be, all that would happen if I employed someone with less than two years experience is that the insurance company would increase the excess from £500 to £1,000 for that driver.

At last - the voice of common sense and reason. The above is perfectly normal and often applies to younger drivers as well. Eg a local haulier has recently employed a 18 year old on CAT C and his normal £750 excess is now £2000 for that driver. The fact is that many employers are worried about using new drivers but use the insurance as a cop-out. However, the tables are turning. I’m in the process of training 50 drivers for a bus company that specifically do not want “experienced” drivers. To date, a mirror has been clouted on a bus shelter and there has been a very minor touch on some railings. Given the thousands of miles achieved by these new, totally inexperienced drivers, I think that’s acceptable. The most experienced driver in the world still gets it wrong.

For a long time, I have advised new drivers to apply for anything and everything they see - ignoring the “must have 2 years experience” thing. A new driver, presented well and with a good attitude, stands a damned good chance against some experienced drivers. Experience doesn’t mean good. And this is how many new drivers make a start.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
A new driver, presented well and with a good attitude, stands a damned good chance against some experienced drivers. Experience doesn’t mean good. And this is how many new drivers make a start.

+1

Whenever I say anything like that though, I always get shot down by the experienced drivers with their prima donna attitudes and last night’s dinner spilled down their 96/97 season Manchester United shirts.

Experience definitely does not mean good and it is definitely not the only thing an employer is looking for.

I have only ever gone to an interview dressed smart when it has been asked on here said the same

Some has to get the job it could be you

Thanks for all the replies, will keep badgering people.

Must admit the can’t drive without your licence is starting to grate. Thats why we have the blue cert and then they phone DVLA who will say yes he is fully allowed to drive etc. :unamused: :open_mouth:

How many times have we heard we need to see the full licence. :imp: :imp: :imp:
Sent off application for Mr Stobart will wait and see.

ROG:

Woodmeister:
I let my licence go when I left the Army in 92

Did you have a CE (old HGV class1) at that time?

Nope :cry: was the old HGV 3 stuff if i remember, was a long time ago LOL

Yes done 2 days CPC at RHA earlier this year.

Harry Monk:

If it meant getting the job I would be willing to pay towards the access, but Agencies wont even entertain it. all you get is “thats what the client wants” I ask them to contact the client and but this too them and they they wont because its a standard required by the industry :unamused: :unamused:

wheres your location

Might be worth a shot… I signed up with my local ‘Driverhire’, I passed my C+E on 7th July and got my licence back from DVLA on 23rd July (0930 post). At 1730 the same day I was driving a 3 axle Scania tug pulling a tri axle double deck trailer taking pallets to Stafford. I had no experience, the company knew that and were willing and waiting to show me the ropes…even how to deal with curtain sides and strapping loads in etc.

It does seem like Driverhire are prepared to give newbies a go! :wink:

Best of luck and keep pestering all the agencies you are with

Tazbug

i have given up, jumped through hoops, done my cpc etc, wish i had spent my money on a new honda blackbird, 18 years in transport, long distance van driver, multi drops etc, still no one will touch me because i havent had my license for 2 years, i have rang companys and agencys and the responses have ranged from the polite to the dam right hostile because i have no experience, but i am earning more per hour driving a van, saw one job advertised, containers out of liverpool, 2 years experience etc etc £6.75 per hour, average rates seem to be £7 - £8 per hour, you need to work 60 hours to make a decent living. It has always been my dream to be a wagon driver, now i dont want anything to do with the industry. As i see it haulage companys in this country wont have to worry about new drivers soon, because there wont be any, nobody is going to spend good money with no hope of a job at the end of all the training.