Whats with this 2 year experience and insurance

Seems to be about luck. I’m a “mature newbie” having passed my class 1 in March. Got the same “2 years experience” stuff but one agency were willing to give me a try and after a couple of days with another driver got me in to driving milk tankers - from zero to on my own in a new volvo 500 with a tank of 28000 litres of milk (fun fun fun) … then on to trunking, then another agency got me in to day runs in an artic doing multi drops (I couldn’t hack that at all), now I do night trunking 650ks a night with a double deck curtainsider. They even got me post office approval and say I’ll be doing class 1 for them up to Christmas. I’ve logged well over 45,000ks in artics so far since April. And have been offered an ADR job in a 7.5 tonner, waiting to hear about induction and start dates…

What’s curious is that initially it was all no go, not a chance, won’t even talk to you without the 2 years experience. Then once I started driving other doors opened, the 2 years experience thing vanished. Seems to me it’s a lazy filter mechanism especially for agencies so they don’t send a driver who clearly knows nothing to a client and have to field the complaints. (I still know stuff all but can at least get the truck off the clients premises before I have to stop and work out how something works).

There’s no condition on our insurance regarding years licence held etc. but the 25 year age limit is fixed and we have asked the insurers twice if they can arrange an exception for slightly more excess/premium etc. and both times the answer as been no.

animal:

ROG:

smallsie:

ROG:
Its not 2 years ‘experience’ but in most cases its 2 years of 'having the category on the licence

most now ask for cheakable work history for last 2 years or the other one is must have driven in the last 180 days or sumthing along those lines :confused:

get some cv’s done and get them out there, can only help aswell

As plenty of companies are going bust then how would a prospective employer check if you said you worked for one of those ?
… walks away whistling …

Not quite so easy with digi tacho & you mush carry the last 28 days tacho on analog :unamused:

not such a problem if old digi card went faulty and it was new one sent out wont hold data if it’s new it would in effect be a clean card

ROG:

smallsie:

ROG:
Its not 2 years ‘experience’ but in most cases its 2 years of 'having the category on the licence

most now ask for cheakable work history for last 2 years or the other one is must have driven in the last 180 days or sumthing along those lines :confused:

get some cv’s done and get them out there, can only help aswell

As plenty of companies are going bust then how would a prospective employer check if you said you worked for one of those ?
… walks away whistling …

I’ve had three driving jobs, not one has call the previous for a reference.

If you’ve never driven hgv and have class 1 licence do not even try to find class 1 jobs.nobody will give you chance.Also driving artic with no experience danger for your life too.try to find some 7.5 tonner jobs class 2 jobs learn basic truck routes get confident on the road with big vehicle then your agency start to give you class 1 shifts too.good luck for job hunting…